LAUSD vote welcomes outsiders

Full story: Daily Breeze 7
The Los Angeles Board of Education approved a plan Tuesday that will allow outside groups to run up to a third of all district campuses, including 50 new multimillion-dollar campuses coming on line and more than 200 underperforming schools. Full Story
M Richards

Downey, CA

#1 Aug 26, 2009
So Cortines and his bureaucrats will spend 60 days worth of funds to study something that will be fought in court.........using even more badly needed school funds.

I thought I heard and read somewhere that LAUSD is having terrible financial problems and they are very strapped for cash.

It looks like studies, administration, bureaucracy, almost unlimited building, and other non-teaching things are taking money that really should not be spent at this time.

Why should anyone consider that LAUSD is in terrible financial shape when their board can approve, by a 6-1 vote, the expenditure of even more funds for such a joke?

This is yet just one more examply why the District must be broken up into smaller Districts that can devote more energy, time, and money to actually doing the job they are supposed to do.

With smaller Districts, the elected and appointed members of the District would be more accountable to their constituients or face being voted out of office.

If the current District 8 was its own District, I doubt highly that Dr. Vladovic would be a Board member in that smaller District.

It is time parents, teachers, students, and local community members take back their local schools and work to provide the best education to our local children in our local area.
Ms Crabtree

Valencia, CA

#2 Aug 26, 2009
M Richards wrote:
So Cortines and his bureaucrats will spend 60 days worth of funds to study something that will be fought in court.........using even more badly needed school funds.
I thought I heard and read somewhere that LAUSD is having terrible financial problems and they are very strapped for cash.
It looks like studies, administration, bureaucracy, almost unlimited building, and other non-teaching things are taking money that really should not be spent at this time.
Why should anyone consider that LAUSD is in terrible financial shape when their board can approve, by a 6-1 vote, the expenditure of even more funds for such a joke?
This is yet just one more examply why the District must be broken up into smaller Districts that can devote more energy, time, and money to actually doing the job they are supposed to do.
With smaller Districts, the elected and appointed members of the District would be more accountable to their constituients or face being voted out of office.
If the current District 8 was its own District, I doubt highly that Dr. Vladovic would be a Board member in that smaller District.
It is time parents, teachers, students, and local community members take back their local schools and work to provide the best education to our local children in our local area.
Gee you are a piece of work!!
The board admits that they can't do the job and votes to let someone else try and even that is nto acceptable to you!
BTW the voters have said that the board should build lots of schools by overwhelming majorities on every bond issue that has been on every ballot. These monies are separate and distinct from any other funds used to operate schools. The bond monies cannot be used for anything but construction. For you try to include these funds in your rant is disingenous, to say the least.
JoeReader

United States

#3 Aug 26, 2009
Anybody have the list of the 200 current LAUSD schools that would qualify for new management under this Board directive? Any south bay schools? Gardena HS perhaps?
Martha Sanchez

United States

#4 Aug 26, 2009
Easy! Go on line facilities department for new school and Report Card at LAUSD and you will got wherever you want. By the way does anybody want to take over 28th St School? We are a PI 5 school, four tracks and we have loose the oportunity to became traditional because the this new motion. We have the most underperformance students why? Well, easy we have a great coctail of chemicals every school day to damage our children's capacity to learn: Cadmium, Benzene, Arsenic, Chlorine, Chromium 6, PCE etc etc all for free! Maybe the parent Revolution want to come and give us a hand, maybe the partnership could finally help us. We just helped the district to build two new school sites to relief the 28th St and now GOD HELP US, who knows who could be the superhero that will take our children from 28th to this new buildings. Nothing to be worry, we take care of where the school had to be build, we enrured that the soil was complete cleaned from chemicals (just as we did at Santee H.S) and we were very careful of not building a new school in the close proximity of polluters as we are at 28th St School. People will be safe by taking over the places that we were so diligent to prepare to relief the 28th St School. In fact, we send every year all the talented and gifted students to Sinergy to ensure that all of them keep Sinergy as an API 901 school. We only keep the unlucky ones that are not under this category. We also operate very close to USC campus just few blocks away from freeway 110 (but in the poor site)where we compite with industrial and comercial facilities for land. Oh, I almost forget a lot of people sacrify themselves to allow the construction of te schools just because they were waiting since 1885 to have new school buildings for themselves, their kids and grandkids. It isn't wonderful!

Does any green dot group of parents want to came and help us to organize our schools? We need a public library, green areas, at least a pocket park to have a little bit of shadow, we need more public safety, street lights and someone to tell of the companies that surround our neighborhood that they have to clean themselves before every delivery and after living back to their Bevely Hills mansions every day.

Maybe we can share our most beautiful schools with the charter coorporations if they are willing to help us to improve our health conditions and bringing more resources, maybe USC want to come by and see that 28th ST School is on its back yard and they have steal our land as well pushing us to the most unsafe and unhealthy living conditions !!! Nobody? Anybody? I knew it!
By the way I'm the parent's president at this school if you have a proposal please contact me at school I'm always there giving all my soul to improve it.
Kelly

Cerritos, CA

#5 Aug 27, 2009
Why is the Lausd building more new schools while enrollment is declining and funds are limited? Even if this bond money is allocated for building only, why waste taxpayer money for something that is not needed. If the taxpayer intended the money to be used to relieve overcrowding in public schools, this action by the Board is not quite the intended use of funds. The new schools should obsorb be used by the District to put all schools back on traditional schedule rather than creating competition for students. Do these charters have a proven track record? If they fail, what happens to the students in the community? I think the Board moved too far too fast. What happened to manageable chunks rather than going to the point of no return.
Gardena parent

AOL

#6 Aug 27, 2009
I think Gardena Senior High is slated to become one of the schools to be turned over to the private organizations. I think, according to the Superintendent, that the parents have some input into this before it becomes possible. I would assume if they do go for it than all of the teachers, administrators, staff will be "fired" and than be "re-hired" if they want to be a part of that organization. The pay and "benefits" will be determined by that organization. The parents and students will save some money there so that they can spend it on "better programs." The teachers will be many of the same unless they are "die-hard" UTLA people, then they might not want to return to the school. Oh well, get rid of the "bad ones" anyway. Get rid of the unionized staff and contract out to cheaper labor so that we can save money there, more programs for the kids! Demand that the parents particpate in their kids education otherwise kick them out of the school to the District ones! Doesn't sound right, but at least you have motivated kids with your kids in the same school. The idiots that say the charter schools should keep and educate the bad ones have it all wrong! The District schools should be the "prison" schools and the charter schools should have the basic to advanced kids. If a parent in the school area wants their kid in the charter school than they need to become "active participants" in their childs education!
Gardena parent

AOL

#7 Aug 27, 2009
Forgot to add:

The reason I feel this way is because I remember when Gardena used to be the "best of the best!" Now it's one of the worst high schools in the District! The test scores, drop out rate, grades, everything has tanked for this school. The citizens of Gardena (not Los Angeles!)wanted to leave the District, but that failed. Then many years ago the other parts of the District, which the city of Gardena is part of, elected a San Pedro representative and thats when the fortunes of Gardena High School went down! Ever since then they have bused into the school from three different areas while the other schools, like San Pedro, pulled just from their local population. I hope that what ever organization can "improve" Gardena (see previous post by me)by doing what I heard one organization does (I think Green Dot)and bring back some respectability to Gardena Senior High School!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

School Vouchers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Walker, Burke have clear contrasts on education Sep 11 Harry 2
5 things to know about Wisconsin governor's race Sep 9 QUITTNER on Sep 9... 2
NC judge: Private school vouchers unconstitutional Aug '14 Phil 8
Florida teachers challenge voucher expansion Jul '14 Phil 2
School choice just makes sense Apr '14 MaltaMon 1
Michael McShane: Politico's Voucher Story Is Bogus (Mar '14) Mar '14 The Dude 1
Jeb Bush, Hillary Clinton together again to tal... (Mar '14) Mar '14 RayOne 1

School Vouchers People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE