Catholic school closings a bad sign

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

THE ISSUE: Private schools forced to close. Sun Sentinel Editorial Board February 5, 2009 For South Floridians looking to educate their children outside the public school system, the choices are dwindling.
Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Feb 26, 2009
Max

West Jefferson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

"Divisions over private school vouchers aside, one fact cannot be denied — private and charter schools play a vital role in educating many of our children."

This is yet another example of the duplicity inherent in this editorial staff. The Sun Sentinel never saw a school choice voucher it could support. In fact, the Sentinel opposes all forms of vouchers. Yet now, they are crying for public officials to find a way to save private schools, particularly religious based schools.

There is a certain irony in this editorial given the emphasis on "ethics" in today's edition.
Omni

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Parents those kids at six Catholic schools are paying for public school all these time. Join publc schools and recoup some of the money.
sigh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2009

Max wrote:
"Divisions over private school vouchers aside, one fact cannot be denied — private and charter schools play a vital role in educating many of our children."
This is yet another example of the duplicity inherent in this editorial staff. The Sun Sentinel never saw a school choice voucher it could support. In fact, the Sentinel opposes all forms of vouchers. Yet now, they are crying for public officials to find a way to save private schools, particularly religious based schools.
There is a certain irony in this editorial given the emphasis on "ethics" in today's edition.
Max
I read the article twice and I found no plea for politiicans to save or even offer financial support to private schools.
This editorial simply highlights the high cost of education today and also points to the potential problems in the future when these students are enrolled in public school where funding has been sharply cut.
Broward Parent

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Max wrote:
The Editorial Board can make the observation without supporting public funds going to private schools.
Ironman Carmichael

Sylmar, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

When a public school closes, it's called failure. Catholic school students are mostly nuns who don't get paid; Catholic school students are sent out at least once a year to sell things. Where does the Catholic school money go?
sigh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Ironman Carmichael wrote:
When a public school closes, it's called failure. Catholic school students are mostly nuns who don't get paid; Catholic school students are sent out at least once a year to sell things. Where does the Catholic school money go?
It goes to pay all those lawsuits and jury awards to victims of priest molestations. What is the tab for the Miami Archdicoese now, 6 Billion $$???
Taxed to death in Florida

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

Start firing government employees before every state goes bankrupt!
What he said

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2009

Taxed to death in Florida wrote:
Start firing government employees before every state goes bankrupt!
Gee, wasn't the pilot who landed the jet in the Hudson river a former "government employee" ?

Seems to me his "government training" paid for by "tax dollars" just saved 155 people.

JCC

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2009

how come Jewish schools are not hurting?
Marty

Pembroke, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Should catholic schools be supported to enable them to continue instruct their students to pray for the "perfidious" Jews?
realistic atheist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

I agree there should always be choice and alternatives to public school. Well except I would exactly want a Muslim school in my neighborhood and a wicken school would be silly but that stills doesn't make my point meaningless.
realistic atheist

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

opps I meant I WOULDN"T want a muslim school in my neighborhood then again who does? And I'm a non-believer. I apologize to any Christian offended please that is not my intention.
wow

Annville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Nothing is wrong with muslim schools. You are ignorant.
Catholic Girls

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

Ironman Carmichael wrote:
The money goes to God because he or she is always broke. In this time of economic crises God needs the money more than ever. Free thinking people need not apply.
realistic atheist

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

wow wrote:
Nothing is wrong with muslim schools. You are ignorant.
Maybe not but right now it's not a good idea that's all. Wait a decade or two when Muslims (middle eastern ones, not black ones) have proven themselves. You can't be politically correct all the time.
Marty

Pembroke, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

There is a lot wrong with most islamic schools since they are financed and controlled by saudi arabian radical and violent clergy who support the preaching of hatred against christians and Jews.
Ironman Carmichael

Sylmar, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

Catholic Girls wrote:
<quoted text>
The money goes to God because he or she is always broke. In this time of economic crises God needs the money more than ever. Free thinking people need not apply.
So much for the old saying "In God we trust, everyone else pays cash."
wow

Annville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2009

Marty wrote:
There is a lot wrong with most islamic schools since they are financed and controlled by saudi arabian radical and violent clergy who support the preaching of hatred against christians and Jews.
Muslim and Islamic are not the same thing and you are stereotyping.
wow

Annville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2009

realistic atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe not but right now it's not a good idea that's all. Wait a decade or two when Muslims (middle eastern ones, not black ones) have proven themselves. You can't be politically correct all the time.
Proven themselves? Are you seriously implying that Muslims are out to get Americans? Just because of a radical few?........ seriously?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••