School voucher bills flood GOP-led statehouses

Aug 2, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: HeraldTribune.com

More states than ever before have considered school vouchers this year, driven by resurgent Republicans who see the lagging economy as an opportunity for a fresh push on one of their most contentious education policies.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2011

Judged:

I have yet to see a TRUE voucher program for K-12 students. All the so-called voucher programs place limits on who can receive the 'voucher' making it a scholarship program.

A true voucher system would say a high school education is worth $??,????, a middle school education is worth $?,????, etc, and then every student in the state gets that amount to take to the school of their choice. The student goes to the local public school, that voucher replaces the state aid the state is currently sending out to public school districts. The student goes to a private school, that voucher is used to pay all or part of the tuition for that school. This becomes the only money the state would need to spend on K-12 education. No longer would the state need complicated formulas that give inner city schools more money than suburban districts.

But here's the problem. Already there are students that have opted out of the public school system. In a true voucher system these students would get the same voucher that a student that has attended public schools would get. Using round numbers to illustrate, if there are 10,000 current private school students each now eligible for a $10,000 voucher, that's $100,000,000 and not one student currently in a 'failing' public school has yet to receive their voucher.

Other issues to consider:

What happens to special needs students?

Are local public school districts still required to exist? If one is to believe the politicians, why not close all public schools, sell the buildings to those who may want them to open their own private school where students can now take their voucher.

Now, if we want to debate the merits of this system that's one thing. But the systems currently offered are not voucher systems.
waldo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2011

Judged:

who do we blame for a a national school system RUN AMUCK? government or BLUEBIRD BUSSES???.....or the crossing guards? bad booKs? invisable ink? lbj???.....no stupid left behind? are vouchers the new bluebird bus? or just another try keeping turnips off the street ?... and who are these 50 percent dropouts , and will the homeowner FOOT THE NEW BILL?
Eleanor

Buffalo Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2011

Judged:

Vouchers are so totally WRONG!

Are we to pay for private, usually RELIGIOUS BASED education, with our tax dollars?

What if those vouchers are going to teach a group that we may not want personally want to promote, like (Catholics, Jews, Islam) <pick your least favorite>.

Government tax dollars should only be for PUBLIC schools. <not for private, religious based, education>
GEORGE

Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2011

Judged:

What's wrong with Muslims? They are our brothers.

Are you a bitot?
any

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2011

Judged:

Eleanor wrote:
Are we to pay for private, usually RELIGIOUS BASED education, with our tax dollars?
What if those vouchers are going to teach a group that we may not want personally want to promote, like (Catholics, Jews, Islam) <pick your least favorite>.
Government tax dollars should only be for PUBLIC schools. <not for private, religious based, education>
Hey Bucko, My tax dollars are not your tax dollars, they were earned by ME! That SHOULD mean I decide where to send my kids. You hatred / fear of religeon is just nuts. If you like funding inferior public schools so much, go ahead and send them all the money you want! I am sure they won't refuse it. Keep your hands and ideas out of my wallet!
claremont

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2011

i went to a parish school, no drop outs, most went on to college .heavy on the discipline. my parents paid for a private education and the public school tax.. public schools problems are the product of government trying to do the almost impossible, the notion "it takes a village" or" a mind is a terrible thing to waste".is exactly that" " many wasted minds in many wasted villages". just watch the news.most every body knows where the problems are. except the problemi
Dan w

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2011

Judged:

any wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Bucko, My tax dollars are not your tax dollars, they were earned by ME! That SHOULD mean I decide where to send my kids. You hatred / fear of religeon is just nuts. If you like funding inferior public schools so much, go ahead and send them all the money you want! I am sure they won't refuse it. Keep your hands and ideas out of my wallet!
Public Schools are what made this country great. Of course you can decide where to send your kids. Just pay for it yourself don't try to use Public School funds for your kids. Public schools are like the fire and police departments, you pay for them even if you never have to use them. If you buy a quad 50 and mount it in your house and tell the police you no longer need or put a fire control system in your house and then request a rebate (voucher) for police and fire protection you feel you would no longer need, you would be laughed at as well you should be. Vouchers would create an elitist society because if you think the private schools are going to accept the black kid with a club foot you are nuts.
Kennesaw71

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

Eleanor wrote:
What if I hate the NEA way worse than any religion?
claremont

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

religious based education is probably THE BEST for educating.it teaches discipline, history,religion, responsibility.. AND WITH AN AVERAGE 50% PUBLIC SCHOOL DROPOUT. magnet schools,cyber schools,charter schools,virtual charter schools.the feds have turned public educationon its head, trying everything ,because 40 years ago the federalies squandered the LOCAL CONTROL of schools.. and garnered it for themselves.like everthing else thats PROBLEMATIC , sam the sham ,BLEW IT.. again, more,
Sgt Common Sense

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

Judged:

Kennesaw71 wrote:
<quoted text>
What if I hate the NEA way worse than any religion?
Then, send your children to a private religous school or many states have non-religous private schools.
Kennesaw71

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2011

Sgt Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
Then, send your children to a private religous school or many states have non-religous private schoolsl.
Gimmie my vouchers that my tax money is paying for and were all good....
mojo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2011

its probably a government SCAM to squeeze more money out of the publics wallet,target the villiagers, and put all the blame back to the local schools.NOW THAT SCHOOLS HAVE /NEED more security than the WHITE HOUSE.so after 50 years of STUPIDITY and screwing over the public school system. change the lottery rules, so the PROBLEMMSSSS revert back to the county and states.. taxing structure .sam says "THE DEVIL MADE US DO IT"....and the estados unidos cant even manufacture... "ITS OWN UNDERWARE"...
Kennesaw71

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2011

My heart just bleeds for the NEA teachers who think their school needs more security. Their unions policies have earned them the enviroment they now go to work in.

“USA 1”

Since: Sep 10

Youngstown Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2011

Kennesaw71 wrote:
My heart just bleeds for the NEA teachers who think their school needs more security. Their unions policies have earned them the enviroment they now go to work in.
Amen.
Sgt Common Sense

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2011

Kennesaw71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Gimmie my vouchers that my tax money is paying for and were all good....
I don't have any kids. Why should my tax dollars be used to educate your brats??(gimmie, gimmie, gimmie, you must be a conservative Christian)
Kennesaw71

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2011

I don't have any kids either, so why must my tax dollars go to NEA hack teachers????
Kennesaw71

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2011

Sgt Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have any kids. Why should my tax dollars be used to educate your brats??(gimmie, gimmie, gimmie, you must be a conservative Christian)
Yeah, I'm a conservative Christian, HOW DARE I DEMAND ANYTHING FOR ALL THE TAX DOLLARS I PAY IN..... right???? That's just a donation on my part for idiots to squander... I know how your common sense works.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••