Tell lawmakers you oppose same-sex ma...

Tell lawmakers you oppose same-sex marriage

There are 363 comments on the Daily Journal story from Dec 9, 2009, titled Tell lawmakers you oppose same-sex marriage. In it, Daily Journal reports that:

The lame-duck session of our state Legislature is upon us, which must mean the issue of same-sex marriage is on the front burner again.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Journal.

First Prev
of 19
Next Last
Amy

Philadelphia, PA

#382 Mar 14, 2010
I fully support gay marriage! I fully support the right of everyone to stand up with the person that they love and make it official. I don't understand the people who are against it...why? Because it's against the bible? It is not! God made gay people and God does not make mistakes! The bible does say to love thy neighbor- that also means not judging others. Just because you don't understand something. doesn't mean that it's wrong! I'd rather look at a gay couple than some of the ugly hetero people that I've seen! LOL
Russell

Rio Rancho, NM

#383 Mar 14, 2010
Amy wrote:
I fully support gay marriage! I fully support the right of everyone to stand up with the person that they love and make it official. I don't understand the people who are against it...why? Because it's against the bible? It is not! God made gay people and God does not make mistakes! The bible does say to love thy neighbor- that also means not judging others. Just because you don't understand something. doesn't mean that it's wrong! I'd rather look at a gay couple than some of the ugly hetero people that I've seen! LOL
I agree.

The problem is that the Bible contains about seven "clobber" passages which have been used to condemn same-sex relationships. All of us Christians, including those who don't admit doing so, pick and choose from the Bible which rules and laws we feel are binding. Although there can be some valid and acceptable differences of opinion, many people do not have clear criteria to determine which laws to follow but, instead, go simply by what they have heard over and over since childhood and never bother to re-evaluate what they have been taught to determine whether it makes sense. It's even more of a problem when they arrogate to themselves the right to choose while denying that right to others.

One can find rules in the OT which require that a disobedient child be put to death, that a woman who has committed adultery be stoned to death, that we should not eat certain foods, etc. etc. Jesus himself forbids divorce. However, few people insist that we are absolutely bound by all of those rules. But, many people who would not condemn a divorced person who has remarried will condemn same-sex relationships. The inconsistency is obvious to many of us.

Here is how I determine which Biblical rules are binding. When Jesus was asked which is the most important commandment, he quoted from the OT and said, greatly condensed, that it is to love and respect God and one's neighbor. That is often referred to as the Summary of the Law. Jesus followed it by saying, "On these two laws hang all the law and the prophets." Many of us believe that any Biblical rule that is supported by the Summary of the Law is binding and that rules not supported by the Summary of the Law are not binding. Thus, murder, stealing, etc., which are proscribed by the Ten Commandments, are not permitted because doing them would violate the Summary of the Law as given by Jesus Himself. Biblical rules against eating pork or shellfish are not binding since eating them does not violate the Summary of the Law. Similarly, sexual encounters within a committed same-sex couple are permitted because they do not violate the Summary of the Law. However, there can be legitimate disagreement over whether sexual encounters not within a committed couple are pemissible.

Another problem is that some people believe that the Bible in its original languages is 100% accurate and was given by God Himself. They seem to believe that God dictated the entire Bible to a steno typist who then transferred it to CD-ROM so that its inerrancy could be forever guaranteed. I do not ascribe to that viewpoint. The Hebrews had more than ample opportunity to put into the OT anything they wanted.
ricardo of east windsor

United States

#384 Mar 15, 2010
well I grew up in NY, raised in a diverse neighborhood and have a gay relative. It's tough as I was raised Christian but I fully agree with gay adoption and now, have been convinced on marriage. why? well I stopped listening to logic and facts and started listening with my heart. I AM NOT GOD and am not here to judge but each man has his her own free will. I support abortion because women wind up in back alleys and use unsafe methods but YOU have to live with that decision.
To all the bull facts about abortion and choice, that's a misquote. besides, we straight people have made a mockery of marriage already. look at the divorce stats.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 19
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

School Vouchers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Florida NAACP & Black Pastors In Standoff Over ... Jul '16 Whites Not Competent 2
News Platform: Texas Democrats feel strongly on tran... Jun '16 CA DAD 5
News Can school choice help keep kids out of jail? Apr '16 Mark Fursman 5
News In last radio address, Boehner promotes school ... (Oct '15) Mar '16 Phil 16
News Education 52 mins ago 6:49 p.m.House delays vou... (Feb '16) Feb '16 More Facts 2
News NC judge: Private school vouchers unconstitutional (Aug '14) Jan '16 Bob 9
News Florida teachers challenge voucher expansion (Jul '14) Dec '15 Candace 4
More from around the web