Richardson attacks Martinez

Richardson attacks Martinez

There are 19 comments on the Alamogordo Daily News story from Aug 21, 2010, titled Richardson attacks Martinez. In it, Alamogordo Daily News reports that:

Gov. Bill Richardson took his first steps into this fall's gubernatorial election on Friday, firing off a pointed criticism of Republican nominee Susana Martinez over her remarks from campaign advertising and a debate on education issues.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alamogordo Daily News.

What he does not say

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#1 Aug 21, 2010
What he doesn't say is that the state economy is SO bad that most people working in the education field have not had a raise or cost of living increase in the past 2 years. It also isn't looking promising for next year either. This state is more intersted in giving welfare handouts and bleeding the working people than it is supporting education or anything else of substance. We definitely need a change!
Wondering

Alamogordo, NM

#2 Aug 21, 2010
Why doesn't Richardson just go away. He has not helped this state one iota..........
Trust in Alamo

Placitas, NM

#3 Aug 21, 2010
Could Richardson and Denish actually believe the retoric coming out of their mouths? Our schools are fast becoming the bottom 10% of qualifications for students to advance on to college. Half of our graduates are unable to spell, let alone know how our government works.

Since: Oct 08

#4 Aug 21, 2010
Trust in Alamo wrote:
Could Richardson and Denish actually believe the retoric coming out of their mouths? Our schools are fast becoming the bottom 10% of qualifications for students to advance on to college. Half of our graduates are unable to spell, let alone know how our government works.
Then their system is working...the dumbing down of America's youth!
William L

Alamogordo, NM

#5 Aug 21, 2010
Richardson is a J A C K O F F !!!!!!!!!!
William L

Alamogordo, NM

#6 Aug 21, 2010
Richardson is a B L O W H A R D half breed, Sorry piece of Feces. He is LOWER than my shoe.
Home Grown America

United States

#7 Aug 21, 2010
Who is Richardson/Denish Kidding? Martinez hit the nail on the head talking about Education in NM!
whatever

Cloudcroft, NM

#8 Aug 21, 2010
Condemnation from Billy boy will only help Ms. Martinez!!
DOOD

Ruidoso, NM

#9 Aug 21, 2010
whatever wrote:
Condemnation from Billy boy will only help Ms. Martinez!!
He is just mad because she did not bring him a burrito!
Fact

Cloudcroft, NM

#10 Aug 21, 2010
What he doesn't say is he is for Enviromental agendias even if it cost New Mexicans work.

What he doesn't say is everyone of the State Departements are forced to take 3% cuts.

What he doesn't say he allows illega immigrants to obtain New Mexico drivers licenses, welfare.
This is one of the reasons the budgets in red.

What he doesn't say is his mother was not a United States Citizen, his father was born in Guartamala and United States Embassador to Mexico. Prior
to his Bill Ricardsons birth the father sent the
Mother to California so Bill would be a US Citizen.

Bill Richardson does not know the common mans problems he went to private schools in Boston and promant living even at college.

Instead; Bill Ricardson needs to explain
his Pay to Play schemes the Obama Justice Department stopped going to trial......
A Voice of True Reason

United States

#11 Aug 21, 2010
William L wrote:
Richardson is a B L O W H A R D half breed, Sorry piece of Feces. He is LOWER than my shoe.
Let me guess. You're in the tea party movement or support it?
Crapshot

La Luz, NM

#12 Aug 21, 2010
A Voice of True Reason wrote:
<quoted text> Let me guess. You're in the tea party movement or support it?
Let me guess. You're a left wing screwball bent on the destruction of America or support it?
A Voice of True Reason

United States

#13 Aug 21, 2010
Crapshot wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me guess. You're a left wing screwball bent on the destruction of America or support it?
Rather than debate the issue or engage in discussion, answer a question with a question and attack the individual.
If you must know, no, I love America and know that our best days are in front of us, not behind us. But your racists comments and personal attacks led me to believe that you might be a member of or support the tea party movement.
So are you or not?
At Large

Coldwater, MI

#14 Aug 21, 2010
Just about everything Richardson said about Martinez is factual...but Denish is twice as bad. Martinez is the lessor of two evils. Too bad this is the choice we have. And I can't think of anyone who gives one tinker's "damn" about what Richardson has to say on any subject.

“no image available”

Alamogordo

#15 Aug 21, 2010
It seems to me that NM schools, salaries, and outlook for the future has always been ranked in the bottom 5. For many years, it's been Lousiana and NM with the worst schools. It didn't seem to matter who was Governor or what they did.
The whole voucher thing with Martinez seems a little campagin promise-like. Watching Channel 13 news last night, I caught a clip of the Denish/Martinez debate. Martinez clarified that her voucher system would be for businesses who provide scholarships for students. That sounds like a middle-man there. And why would businesses need vouchers when for years, they've been awarding scholarships without them? It should be that she gives the vouchers directly to the student or the university where they plan to enroll. I'm not too sure Martinez really knows the deep issues involved with our educational system. Maybe she does and we'll just have to see if she wins.
A Voice of True Reason

United States

#16 Aug 21, 2010
Wicky Stick wrote:
It seems to me that NM schools, salaries, and outlook for the future has always been ranked in the bottom 5. For many years, it's been Lousiana and NM with the worst schools. It didn't seem to matter who was Governor or what they did.
The whole voucher thing with Martinez seems a little campagin promise-like. Watching Channel 13 news last night, I caught a clip of the Denish/Martinez debate. Martinez clarified that her voucher system would be for businesses who provide scholarships for students. That sounds like a middle-man there. And why would businesses need vouchers when for years, they've been awarding scholarships without them? It should be that she gives the vouchers directly to the student or the university where they plan to enroll. I'm not too sure Martinez really knows the deep issues involved with our educational system. Maybe she does and we'll just have to see if she wins.
Instead of rolling the dice and seeing if it's a seven, why don't you write the candidates or call their campaigns and ask those deep issue questions? If and when you get an answer, please share it with the rest of us so we can make informed decisions too come November.

Since: Mar 09

Alamogordo, NM

#17 Aug 21, 2010
Richardson is so off-base with thinking full-day kinder is working. Our kids are exhausted half way through. Hmmmm..wonder if that's why they used to have the half-day program?
Richardson only wanted to offer free daycare to low-income families. Which is also why he only offers pre-k to low income. Who's he kidding? He hasn't helped our kids at all.
Crapshot

La Luz, NM

#18 Aug 22, 2010
<quoted text> Rather than debate the issue or engage in discussion, answer a question with a question and attack the individual.
If you must know, no, I love America and know that our best days are in front of us, not behind us. But your racists comments and personal attacks led me to believe that you might be a member of or support the tea party movement.
So are you or not?
Excuse me, where was the racist comment in my post?? You left wingers can't wait to toss out race. It's the only thing you have I guess. That's sad. Oh, I am a republican if that's what you're asking.

“no image available”

Alamogordo

#19 Aug 22, 2010
<quoted text> Instead of rolling the dice and seeing if it's a seven, why don't you write the candidates or call their campaigns and ask those deep issue questions? If and when you get an answer, please share it with the rest of us so we can make informed decisions too come November.
I'm not sure if this is good enough for you, but I researched Martinez's education plan. This was laid out for all to understand and no, she's not going to get it done. She's going to allow tax credits to businesses that provide scholarships for students. At the very most, this could lead to schools becoming privatized. At the very least, this is using education to help businesses.

She talks about accountability and for the financial planning, this is great. However, speaking as a teacher, I can tell you we have been made accountable to the point we're ineffective teachers. A teacher's whole world is accountability and the documentation of standards met. The hell with teaching, we've got to look good.

While these aspects of her plan are not alarming - or even new proposals - there is one part of her plan that is; her ideas concerning special education and vouchers. Prior to 1985, NM did not receive funding for Special Ed students because they hadn't integrated their special needs students into the public schools. I was there in 1985 when they took my unprepared special needs daughter out of ACES school and placed her into unprepared Oregon Elementary. Needless to say, it did not go well for either the parents, teachers, or students. It was horrible.

Susanna Martinez is proposing that if parents are unhappy with their child's special education - the school, the teachers, the IEP, anything - there will be vouchers for the child to go to other schools. Yep. Back to ACES where all of the SpEd kids will be together, segregrated once again.

As a special ed teacher and case manager, there is nothing more important to me than a special needs child being part of a community. Importantly, too, is the need for a community to come to realize the talents and right to belong of the special needs population. We've come a long, long way since those horrible days in the 80's. Public schools are integrated and there are difficulties to be sure. However, I have observed first-hand, the wonderful aspects of allowing equality in schools and society. If Susanna Martinez provides vouchers for parents to tuck their children away in private institutions or other schools, public or private, there will be segregation once again.

I hope this explains my opinion on the Martinez education plan. Please understand that for some reason, I feel your tone is sometimes superior and I'm not quite sure how to take your posts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

School Vouchers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Miami teachers union joins protests of Trump ed... 10 hr Maltamon 4
News Can school vouchers give kids a shot at a bette... Sat donald J W Trump 19
News World Exclusive Sat donald J W Trump 1
News How Milwaukee Could Play A Role In Education Un... Sat donald J W Trump 1
News Here Are Just a Few of the Ways Betsy DeVos, Tr... Sat donald J W Trump 1
News Teachers to rally against DeVos, Trump pick for... Sat donald J W Trump 1
News The Coming Crusade Against Public Education Jan 14 MichaelNudite 1
More from around the web