Gov. Corbett Links Teachers' Unions To Failing Schools

May 10, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: ThePittsburghChannel

Pennsylvania's public schools have focused too much on teacher contracts and not enough on curriculum, Gov.

Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated May 13, 2011
jenn

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2011

Judged:

The problem is not the unions, believe me, it's the policies that teachers have to subscribe by. For example, in Philadelphia, nearly 50% of students drop out by 9th grade.

Students often do not have books, students often do not attend class, and class sizes are so big that behavioral issues are difficult to manage. Even when they come up, teachers have no support and some have been violently injured when standing up to students (one got a head injury for asking a student to take off his ipod).

Then there are issues around what teachers are required to do...that further constrain them. The issues go a lot deeper than just the union.
Sheik Yerbouti

New Hope, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2011

Judged:

If these rethugs had their way teachers would be working for minimum wage with no benefits. Right wingers hate education because educated people rarely become right wingers. This is part of a nationwide campaign by rethugs to deny American workers their rights!
imaginaryfriend

Plymouth, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2011

Judged:

Mr. corbett and all of the repugnant governors are following the playbook of the Kochs and other oligarchs that bought them. Everyone of these repignorant govs are screwing workers, women, the elderly, the poor, and their policies will wipe out the middle class. We need some Navy seals to do their thing. Pronto!
Face Eraser

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2011

Then why does he allow the unions to remain?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••