Kasich plan would let parents overhau...

Kasich plan would let parents overhaul failing schools

There are 313 comments on the DispatchPolitics story from Apr 4, 2011, titled Kasich plan would let parents overhaul failing schools. In it, DispatchPolitics reports that:

Can't fix failing schools? Parents could get tough on Ohio's districts. Gov. John Kasich's budget plan would give parents the power to force radical changes on chronically underperforming schools.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at DispatchPolitics.

Scary

Grove City, OH

#21 Apr 4, 2011
It is unbelievably scary to beleive people are that out of touch with reality.

The reason the schools are failing is because parents don't give a sh*t. We give parents to much say so now people. You can't hold "Johnny" back because his 21 year old single mommy will be mad. Her Johnny is perfect, must be the teachers fault he is not learning. I mean of course he stays up all night with her while she snorts pills, but whats wrong with that?

Wake the hell up people.
Heston

Granville, OH

#22 Apr 4, 2011
Is there any evidence that a "parent coup d'etat" has ever improved student performance in any school district? I doubt it. Way to go Special K.

“The Latest Info”

Since: Feb 11

United States

#23 Apr 4, 2011
Wow wrote:
This is a really bad idea. I wonder what Kasich has against teachers, and who he will go after next?
You post would have had been okay but you have to go after Kasich with the "who will he go after next". You should have posted "what does Kasich have against bad teachers. Bad.
A Shrubbery

United States

#24 Apr 4, 2011
Kasich is still angry that a teacher's local union paid to run ads against him in the 1990s when he was in Congress. It was one of the first things he reminded people of after he won the election.

“The Latest Info”

United States

#25 Apr 4, 2011
Conservatives Lie wrote:
Mom...spamming the boards like the Charter-school cheerleader she is. Explain how the 'parents' would do better than trained educators?
You have bought into your own self worth as a home-schooler...and it's bunk! Your child is a social cripple, just like you are.
The name calling on this thread has officially started. In reviewing many other threads I have noticed Conservatives Lie is always the first poster with name calling and then it goes downhill from there. Goodbye discussing the subject.
FEDUP

Columbus, OH

#26 Apr 4, 2011
Let's send all the failing students to Westerville schools, they are so good Kasich wouldn't move to Bexely.
Ronald Reagan

Pickerington, OH

#27 Apr 4, 2011
Its all about money for Kasich.

“The Latest Info”

United States

#28 Apr 4, 2011
Millhouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Haven't you been following the news? Kasich just passed a law that takes away almost all of the powers of the unions. No more senority, no more grievances on working conditions, etc. etc.
Doubtful.
Reality Check

Columbus, OH

#29 Apr 4, 2011
Mom wrote:
Local control of the schools...what a great idea!! It's about time that school administrators of failing schools are held accountable to the parents for not providing a quality education. It's about time that their jobs are on the line--either they prove themself worthy to the parents and do a better job of educating their kids...or get out. That should definitely bring much needed hope & change to the failing schools.
Hey Mom, "Local control of the schools...what a great idea!!" Hello? Communities have ALWAYS had control over the schools -- ever heard of "Columbus City Schools," "Southwestern City Schools," "Dublin City Schools," etc? How much more local do you want it? The fact of the matter is that school funding and control has always been LOCAL, which more than a decade ago was ruled unconstitutional by the Ohio Supreme Court. Until the (R) lead state legislature actually reacts to that SC decision and fixes school funding, it'll always be eff'ed up. I'm soooo glad you weren't my mom! My mom had a clue what was going on.

“American gvt is in the bag”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#30 Apr 4, 2011
Millhouse wrote:
Have you ever seen what happens when parents try to run a little league sport?
...just sayin'
Yes. I can see certain parents being upset that their kid got a lower grade than they think he/she deserves.

Location hidden

#31 Apr 4, 2011
Ronald Reagan wrote:
Its all about money for Kasich.
When this was tried in other places, private companies that run charter schools paid to organize parents in some cases. This was mentioned in the Dispatch article over the weekend.
Mom

Westerville, OH

#32 Apr 4, 2011
Conservatives Lie wrote:
Mom...spamming the boards like the Charter-school cheerleader she is. Explain how the 'parents' would do better than trained educators?
You have bought into your own self worth as a home-schooler...and it's bunk! Your child is a social cripple, just like you are.
You've bought into the teacher's union rhetoric that only the "experts" know how to educate children. Well the so-called experts are failing to educate children adequately and kids are falling further and further behind, and parents are sick of seeing their child unable to get a quality education from the incompetent districts. You give parents too little credit. There are lots of parents who are intelligent enough to know a failing district is not working for the kids and that needs to be overhauled.

Oh and if you want to have an intelligent conversation, don't resort to name calling. Stay focused on the issue.

“The Latest Info”

United States

#33 Apr 4, 2011
Oh no wrote:
This isn't going to happen in suburban school districts. It is the inner city schools where they don't make the grade. Half you people don't even read the article, you read the headlines. In the failing schools Kasich wants to turn them over to the parents. Huh? Unbelievable.
Very good idea as there are a whole lot of parents in the inner city schools that are concerned about their childs education.
Liberals want the failing to continue as it fits their agenda.

“The Latest Info”

United States

#34 Apr 4, 2011
Tea Farty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. I can see certain parents being upset that their kid got a lower grade than they think he/she deserves.
This is good as it would show the parent is involved.
fiery buddha

Columbus, OH

#35 Apr 4, 2011
KaSUCKS.
Revolution Calling

Cincinnati, OH

#36 Apr 4, 2011
Giving parents control of local schools is as laughable as giving a former Fox News correspondent control of a State.

Location hidden

#37 Apr 4, 2011
Post It Today wrote:
<quoted text>The name calling on this thread has officially started. In reviewing many other threads I have noticed Conservatives Lie is always the first poster with name calling and then it goes downhill from there. Goodbye discussing the subject.
You don't need to respond to the trolls. You can simply ignore them and continue to discuss the topic rationally.
Mom

Westerville, OH

#38 Apr 4, 2011
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Mom, "Local control of the schools...what a great idea!!" Hello? Communities have ALWAYS had control over the schools -- ever heard of "Columbus City Schools," "Southwestern City Schools," "Dublin City Schools," etc? How much more local do you want it? The fact of the matter is that school funding and control has always been LOCAL, which more than a decade ago was ruled unconstitutional by the Ohio Supreme Court. Until the (R) lead state legislature actually reacts to that SC decision and fixes school funding, it'll always be eff'ed up. I'm soooo glad you weren't my mom! My mom had a clue what was going on.
Columbus Public spans a very area including numerous diverse neighborhoods & communities. There is no local control in a district that large.
Anonymous

United States

#39 Apr 4, 2011
Oh no wrote:
This isn't going to happen in suburban school districts. It is the inner city schools where they don't make the grade. Half you people don't even read the article, you read the headlines. In the failing schools Kasich wants to turn them over to the parents. Huh? Unbelievable.
So that in the end they will "magically" turn into charter schools.
Scary

Grove City, OH

#40 Apr 4, 2011
Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
You've bought into the teacher's union rhetoric that only the "experts" know how to educate children. Well the so-called experts are failing to educate children adequately and kids are falling further and further behind, and parents are sick of seeing their child unable to get a quality education from the incompetent districts. You give parents too little credit. There are lots of parents who are intelligent enough to know a failing district is not working for the kids and that needs to be overhauled.
Oh and if you want to have an intelligent conversation, don't resort to name calling. Stay focused on the issue.
I'm not name calling, but what world do you live in? When is the last time you were in a Columbus City school? When is the last time you dealt with a parent from one of these districts? Do you even have a clue? Why don't you turn off Fox News, Glenn the jackass Beck, and Rush. Go to Franklinton or Mt. Vernon Ave find a public school and tutor for a few hours a week. Then tell me how we should turn our schools over to the parents.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

School Vouchers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Florida NAACP & Black Pastors In Standoff Over ... Jul 14 Whites Not Competent 2
News Platform: Texas Democrats feel strongly on tran... Jun '16 CA DAD 5
News Can school choice help keep kids out of jail? Apr '16 Mark Fursman 5
News In last radio address, Boehner promotes school ... (Oct '15) Mar '16 Phil 16
News Education 52 mins ago 6:49 p.m.House delays vou... Feb '16 More Facts 2
News NC judge: Private school vouchers unconstitutional (Aug '14) Jan '16 Bob 9
News Florida teachers challenge voucher expansion (Jul '14) Dec '15 Candace 4
More from around the web