Kasich plan would let parents overhau...

Kasich plan would let parents overhaul failing schools

There are 313 comments on the DispatchPolitics story from Apr 4, 2011, titled Kasich plan would let parents overhaul failing schools. In it, DispatchPolitics reports that:

Can't fix failing schools? Parents could get tough on Ohio's districts. Gov. John Kasich's budget plan would give parents the power to force radical changes on chronically underperforming schools.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at DispatchPolitics.

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Public teacher

Columbus, OH

#307 Apr 5, 2011
Marie wrote:
<quoted text>In other words, hand-outs. We're already giving them everything you listed. Why should we keep paying when people keep having families they can't support?
...because the survival of the human race depends upon it.
Oh no

Cygnet, OH

#308 Apr 5, 2011
VoteNOonSB 5 FutureTaxUs wrote:
<quoted text>
REPLY: Now who are the thugs?.......could it be anyone protected by a union that blocks low performing teachers.....and who are the knuckel-draggers?......perhaps the low performing schools? If parents recieved a check or voucher and could select the school for their children without having to attend failing schools, the unions would have to dissolve because teachers would be too busy saving themselves to continue to spend time on union issues! SB 5 is going to save public schools and parent choices need to expand to vouchers for all students! That would create the disruption necessary to finally improve services to students and parents.
Unbelievable! Do you even take the time to read what you write and think it through? Your diatribe is an embarrassment to yourself.
public non-union employee

Columbus, OH

#309 Apr 5, 2011
Public teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
You hired me to teach, not be a mother, nurse, psychologist, social worker, dietician, secretary, tutor, coach, and the list goes on. Without parental support, a child is doomed.
Then stop whining about how hard you work for 185 days a year, get back in the class room and teach. That is all we hired you to do.
Oh no

Cygnet, OH

#310 Apr 5, 2011
Post It Today wrote:
<quoted text>I know what his job was, do you?
No I don't, what was it since you know. Break it down for us what he did for Lehman, how he was evaluated on the job he did and what were his accomplishments with Lehman in the two man office here in Columbus (his words) where he was a Director.
Oh no

Cygnet, OH

#311 Apr 5, 2011
Post It Today wrote:
<quoted text>?
Here check out this link so you know what he meant when you put "?"

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-march-2...
Oh no

Cygnet, OH

#312 Apr 5, 2011
Post It Today wrote:
<quoted text>This has nothing to do with "White Hat" shysters, you are trying to lead this thread off into a negative diatribe about Kasich.
Move to a wealthy white suburb. Believe me there are some good schools in Franklin County that has some really bad teachers, but that teacher is protected by their Union and Tenure. Let's get rid of Tenure. Example of a bad teacher: He does not give homework to his 5th grade students. He has students that their parents are teachers, they complain, he keeps his job. Why? Union and Tenure.
Not even close. The teacher keeps his/her job because the administrator is too lazy to do their job. There is a process for getting rid of most bad employees not just bad teachers but someone doesn't want to take the time to document enough to make a case to fire a bad employee where ever they exist.
My idea

Columbus, OH

#313 Apr 5, 2011
Oh no wrote:
<quoted text>
Not even close. The teacher keeps his/her job because the administrator is too lazy to do their job. There is a process for getting rid of most bad employees not just bad teachers but someone doesn't want to take the time to document enough to make a case to fire a bad employee where ever they exist.
Read your contract. There is a highly complex and convoluted process in it to get rid of teachers which is why it almost never done. Then you have the union coming to get their job back.
Public teacher

Columbus, OH

#314 Apr 5, 2011
public non-union employee wrote:
<quoted text>
Then stop whining about how hard you work for 185 days a year, get back in the class room and teach. That is all we hired you to do.
What is so hard for you to understand!? I can teach every single minute of every single day, but children will not learn if their basic needs are not met. Since parents are not meeting their needs, I must try. I think I'll save my breath for my students--at least I know they have brains.
Oh no

Cygnet, OH

#315 Apr 5, 2011
My idea wrote:
<quoted text>
Read your contract. There is a highly complex and convoluted process in it to get rid of teachers which is why it almost never done. Then you have the union coming to get their job back.
Should it be easy? Ask the US Supreme Court on the "Douglas Factors" that have to be met to fire someone. You can't blame the unions for protecting their employees that's what they are paid to do just like you're paid to do your job.
working teacher

United States

#316 Apr 5, 2011
If teachers in failing schools are going to have to pass tests to prove they are qualified to teach there (according to the proposed budget) are parents going to have to pass a test to prove they are qualified to vote to pull the "trigger?" Why would we only let one stakeholder make that decision? Educating our students is a TEAM effort. It starts at home, continues at school and goes into the community. So why are we only testing and blaming the schools?
Ryan

Columbus, OH

#317 Apr 17, 2011
Post It Today wrote:
<quoted text>I get my information from Teachers. Matter of fact got a phone call within the hour and a very bad Principal was just transferred out of a Elementary school in a Franklin County school.
When a good teacher heads off to school in the morning they have 3 jobs facing them. In most jobs you do not have a 10 year old come up to you at 10am and say "I am hungry", then proceed to tell you their last meal was at school lunch yesterday.
And I get my information from my mother, who taught for 39 years in the ghetto Mansfield City Schools. With all of the crap that she had to go through, she deserves every last bit of pension that she gets, and deserves every last bit of insurance and other benefits. She also worked YEAR ROUND, taught summer school, was constantly working on lesson plans, making fun learning games for her students to play, picking out books for their weekly reading, as well as being a babysitter to kids whose parents don't give a damn about them. But the bottom line is, it's NOT the teacher's responsibility to tell the students every step to take. That's what PARENTS are for. Teachers do so much that most people don't even realize, and when it gets right down to it, most of the good ones don't make anywhere near what they deserve.
common sense

Columbus, OH

#318 Apr 18, 2011
"Parents" don't even feed their children before sending them to school. AND the DON"T even feed them dinner, so NO they should not have control over a school. Also, not JUST "parents" PAY TAXES.

Kasich is off base here.
RECALL kasick

Columbus, OH

#320 Apr 27, 2011
CONVICT CORPORATE GREED

RECALL ka-sick

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

School Vouchers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Can school choice help keep kids out of jail? Apr 2 Mark Fursman 5
News In last radio address, Boehner promotes school ... (Oct '15) Mar '16 Phil 16
News Education 52 mins ago 6:49 p.m.House delays vou... Feb '16 More Facts 2
News NC judge: Private school vouchers unconstitutional (Aug '14) Jan '16 Bob 9
News Florida teachers challenge voucher expansion (Jul '14) Dec '15 Candace 4
News Bush, Rubio court Walker in Wisconsin Nov '15 WeTheSheeple 8
News Columbus schools administrator who changed data... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Big Johnson 1
More from around the web