Kasich plan would let parents overhaul failing schools

Can't fix failing schools? Parents could get tough on Ohio's districts. Gov. John Kasich's budget plan would give parents the power to force radical changes on chronically underperforming schools. Full Story
First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Mom

Westerville, OH

#1 Apr 4, 2011
Local control of the schools...what a great idea!! It's about time that school administrators of failing schools are held accountable to the parents for not providing a quality education. It's about time that their jobs are on the line--either they prove themself worthy to the parents and do a better job of educating their kids...or get out. That should definitely bring much needed hope & change to the failing schools.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
yesiknow

Columbus, OH

#2 Apr 4, 2011
Unions should have to pay for any cost involved.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
DMan

Columbus, OH

#3 Apr 4, 2011
Typical Kasich. Goes off half-cocked on something only to let someone else figure out the details. This is more theater to try to take attention away from the fact that this guy is clueless.
se ohio

Circleville, OH

#4 Apr 4, 2011
"In Franklin County the only district..." Franklin county has one school district? Really, the last count I saw was 14 i thought. We have too many school boards. We need to cut administrators. These people are taking most of the money the schools get. If we had less admin. we could have more teachers. Don't we need more teachers to get better scores?
Question everything

Columbus, OH

#5 Apr 4, 2011
What a joke.
Dad

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#6 Apr 4, 2011
Its not the teachers it is the parents that are failing ! How about holding the parents accountable? LOL

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Cartman

Marysville, OH

#7 Apr 4, 2011
Maybe we could start by looking carefully at what a "failing school" is. Do you think it has a thriving PTO with a majority of parents constructively involved with their children's education? Do you think they have the best administrators and teachers who have both moral and financial support of the board of education? Do you think you'll ever find one of these schools in a wealthy white suburb?

This proposal is just another strand in trying to privatize public education to make the "White Hat" shysters more wealthy.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jeannie

Erie, PA

#8 Apr 4, 2011
More government in locsl issues. Turning a failing school over to the Ohio Dept of Ed is not the way to go. Does Kasich know the stats about Ohio schools and that less are failing than ever? More schools are making AYP. A pilot project is the way to go and proceed with caution O-H-I-O.

“The Latest Info”

Since: Feb 11

United States

#9 Apr 4, 2011
Lowest 5% are located in Toledo, Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati. That takes care of those bad teachers. What about the bad teachers in the rest of Franklin,Delaware,Union,Madiso n counties that are protected by unions?
What about the 50% of bad parents, what do we do with them? Maybe they can join the teachers union so the union will have more money to give to the Democrats.
Wow

Rolling Meadows, IL

#10 Apr 4, 2011
This is a really bad idea. I wonder what Kasich has against teachers, and who he will go after next?

Since: Nov 09

Maumee

#11 Apr 4, 2011
Dad is correct. Do you honestly think that all of the students in miserable schools come from ideal home lives? Do you really want to entrust public assets with the same people whose friends and neighbors can't manage their own lives? How soon before the idea is amended so that it isn't "parents" who take over the school (which only amounts to picking which corporation to allow to operate the school for profit) but instead "grandparents" and/or "aunts" and such?
Conservatives Lie

Powell, OH

#12 Apr 4, 2011
Mom...spamming the boards like the Charter-school cheerleader she is. Explain how the 'parents' would do better than trained educators?

You have bought into your own self worth as a home-schooler...and it's bunk! Your child is a social cripple, just like you are.
Millhouse

United States

#13 Apr 4, 2011
Have you ever seen what happens when parents try to run a little league sport?

...just sayin'

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Heidelberger

Zanesville, OH

#14 Apr 4, 2011
Turn the failing schools over to the control of the Ohio Department of Education? That's laughable. Then when the schools continue to fail, they might pass those "hot potatoes" onto the Ohio Supreme Court...and then perhaps finally at the doorstep of the Governor's office....
Millhouse

United States

#15 Apr 4, 2011
Post It Today wrote:
... What about the bad teachers in the rest of Franklin,Delaware,Union,Madiso n counties that are protected by unions?...
Haven't you been following the news? Kasich just passed a law that takes away almost all of the powers of the unions. No more senority, no more grievances on working conditions, etc. etc.
Anonymous

Columbus, OH

#16 Apr 4, 2011
Don't you think it is the parent's responsibility as well to to do a follow through whatever their kids learned in school. The way I see it lessons learned from classes should not end once the student goes home from school, parents needs to monitor their kids progress and teach them life lessons on the value of good education and the desire to learn from it. On the other hand I do agree school administrators should be held accountable for their failure to provide quality education although the blame should not solely fall on the school administators, parents should be held accountable too.
buckeye fan

Leipsic, OH

#17 Apr 4, 2011
The media and the right always portray that it is the school's fault when in fact we have given schools an impossible job with insufficient resources. Until society and all it's members start respecting education and teachers, and investing sufficiently in both, it doesn't matter who controls the schools.

Kasich's idea of putting out the fire that is our education system is to throw gasoline on it and walk away, without investing any of his own time, effort and sweat in learning what is actually causing it to burn. How childish, irresponsible, and poorly educated is our governor..

Would you turn a hospital over to a group of drug addicts, a newspaper over to people who couldn't read? Would you get on an airplane piloted by someone who had never flown. Would you get your $50,000 car repaired at your local barbershop? This idea is madness and snake oil peddled by a shyster.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Oh no

Cygnet, OH

#18 Apr 4, 2011
This isn't going to happen in suburban school districts. It is the inner city schools where they don't make the grade. Half you people don't even read the article, you read the headlines. In the failing schools Kasich wants to turn them over to the parents. Huh? Unbelievable.
Too_late

Marion, OH

#19 Apr 4, 2011
Kasich must be really anxious to end his fledgling political career. This has "FAILURE" written all over it.
He's risen to the top by being the judge and jury. Now he's serving to be his OWN executioner.

I'm anti-Kasich, but these moves are sooooo extreme that it's downright comical.
Comical to the point that I may begin to SUPPORT him, so I can see him fail...fail miserably!

Keep going for it, Kasichman!! We're "Waiting" for you to become "Superman."

“The Latest Info”

Since: Feb 11

United States

#20 Apr 4, 2011
Cartman wrote:
Maybe we could start by looking carefully at what a "failing school" is. Do you think it has a thriving PTO with a majority of parents constructively involved with their children's education? Do you think they have the best administrators and teachers who have both moral and financial support of the board of education? Do you think you'll ever find one of these schools in a wealthy white suburb?
This proposal is just another strand in trying to privatize public education to make the "White Hat" shysters more wealthy.
This has nothing to do with "White Hat" shysters, you are trying to lead this thread off into a negative diatribe about Kasich.
Move to a wealthy white suburb. Believe me there are some good schools in Franklin County that has some really bad teachers, but that teacher is protected by their Union and Tenure. Let's get rid of Tenure. Example of a bad teacher: He does not give homework to his 5th grade students. He has students that their parents are teachers, they complain, he keeps his job. Why? Union and Tenure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

School Vouchers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gospel singer launches pro-education effort (Jul '06) Dec 7 Film Director Phil 4
Election brings new GOP power to state capitols Nov '14 barefoot2626 22
Walker, Burke have clear contrasts on education Sep '14 Harry 2
5 things to know about Wisconsin governor's race Sep '14 QUITTNER on Sep 9... 2
NC judge: Private school vouchers unconstitutional Aug '14 Phil 8
Florida teachers challenge voucher expansion Jul '14 Phil 2
School choice just makes sense (Apr '14) Apr '14 MaltaMon 1
More from around the web