School vouchers in short supply?

Full story: DispatchPolitics

The state expects that only about 1,500 new private-school vouchers will be left for next school year, meaning some students probably will walk away empty-handed. The 14,000-voucher cap hasn't been reached yet, and at least 350 graduating seniors will leave new slots behind.
Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Feb 2, 2011
Pilib

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

Judged:

Given Ohio's problem balancing its state budget, perhaps It's high time that the "public school hating" republicans call an end to the rape of state tax monies. Subsidizing "for-profit" charter schools operated by David Brennan (leading conributor to the Republican Party in Ohio) is criminal when the state has a budget to balance. More importantly the majority of public schools are successful and there is no reason that students should be sent to for-profits or religious schools on my dime!
Dave

Broadview Heights, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

Judged:

Given Ohio's problem balancing its state budget, perhaps It's high time that the "privat school hating" democrates call an end to the rape of state tax monies. Subsidizing "Failed" government schools operated by Teachers Union (leading conributor to the Democrate Party in Ohio) is criminal when the state has a budget to balance. More importantly the majority of private schools are successful and there is no reason that students should be sent to failed government schools on my dime!
Let the parent choose what is best for the child not the government.
Good Golly

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

Dave wrote:
Given Ohio's problem balancing its state budget, perhaps It's high time that the "privat school hating" democrates call an end to the rape of state tax monies. Subsidizing "Failed" government schools operated by Teachers Union (leading conributor to the Democrate Party in Ohio) is criminal when the state has a budget to balance. More importantly the majority of private schools are successful and there is no reason that students should be sent to failed government schools on my dime!
Let the parent choose what is best for the child not the government.
I don't disagree with you but the article is talking about vouchers to subsidize tuition at private schools (like catholic diocese schools, etc.) which are different than public charter schools run by David Brennan's White Hat Management. I think both programs could go away but just wanted to be clear about the difference.
Good Golly

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

Judged:

Oops. Meant to reply to Pilib's post. Sorry Dave.

But, in response to your point, I would suggest that the biggest reasons that private schools are successful is that 1) the kids in those schools have parents that care about their kids education and 2) the kids at those schools who are not successful leave.

I attended Linden McKinley HS in the 80's and the kids I went to school with that had parents at home who cared about their education all went on to college and successful careers including teachers, college professors, artists, musicians, engineers and doctors.
aloodnize

Canal Winchester, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

Judged:

so if you're not low income, you're not in a "struggling" district, or you don't have parents smart enough to chase after the vouchers... you're likely to be TRAPPED in the grip of your poorly performing public school.

nice!

public schools- he/she with the pushiest parents wins!
mark

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

Judged:

I don't know why they favor low income students. In theory they should favor the more affluent. I'm a recently married affluent young professional that lives, spends, and enjoys the Short North. The type of person the mayor so desperately wants to keep not only in central Ohio, but in Columbus. However, you can bet as soon as we start having children they most certainly won't be going to Weinland Park elementary and we will be shuffling off to Dublin or somewhere like that. Perhaps if we were able to send our kids to a better school using the (substantial) taxes that we already pay, we would stay put. Just something to think about.
altoona

Canal Winchester, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

Judged:

Pilib wrote:
Given Ohio's problem balancing its state budget, perhaps It's high time that the "public school hating" republicans call an end to the rape of state tax monies. Subsidizing "for-profit" charter schools operated by David Brennan (leading conributor to the Republican Party in Ohio) is criminal when the state has a budget to balance. More importantly the majority of public schools are successful and there is no reason that students should be sent to for-profits or religious schools on my dime!
yeah yeah- I'm a democrat and I used to be anti voucher.

But then I took an honest look at my "highly performing" suburban Ohio district (From 15 yrs ago) and I realized that over the course of 13 long, K-12 years... the best of everything in my school district was handed to the teachers kids, administrators kids, and kids who had personal secretaries aka helicopter mothers.

for the that minority of school employees kids, the school was as good as a pricey private school. But for the majority of kids, it was an average to mediocre place. I've been told that this problem is still rampant even in today's suburban districts. I can only imagine how horrible it is in places like CPS.

one thing is for sure- teachers have a 100% successful track record when it comes to educating their own children. and they have all the same cop-out excuses as when it comes to how and why other kids didn't perform as well.

Vouchers cut through the nonsense and nepotism. No kid should be forced to endure 12-13 years of arrogant, self serving government workers.

I would've been WELL SERVED by a voucher, and I say this coming from what has always been a highly ranked public school district.
traveler

Washington Court House, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

Judged:

Shut the entire program down. Instead of give,give, give, balance,balance,balance (Budgets)
altoona

Canal Winchester, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

mark wrote:
I don't know why they favor low income students. In theory they should favor the more affluent. I'm a recently married affluent young professional that lives, spends, and enjoys the Short North. The type of person the mayor so desperately wants to keep not only in central Ohio, but in Columbus. However, you can bet as soon as we start having children they most certainly won't be going to Weinland Park elementary and we will be shuffling off to Dublin or somewhere like that. Perhaps if we were able to send our kids to a better school using the (substantial) taxes that we already pay, we would stay put. Just something to think about.
It's like all "great" government programs. They gear them toward those who know how to work the system to their own advantage (usually govt workers) and everyone else is left hanging....but the program is touted as some huge success.

Remember when Ohio did the "test run" of the voucher program in Cleveland (before it was practiced state wide)? They made it sound like it was only a test drive for poor inner city black kids in Cleveland public schools.

Well I knew several middle to upper middle class kids from middle to upper middle class suburban Cleveland districts who benefitted from vouchers. Some of them (of the ones I knew) benefitted so well they got into Ivy League Universities.

I always wondered if most Ohioans knew that the "test run" of the voucher program was not specificially geared toward poor kids.

Mom

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

Judged:

altoona wrote:
<quoted text>
It's like all "great" government programs. They gear them toward those who know how to work the system to their own advantage (usually govt workers) and everyone else is left hanging....but the program is touted as some huge success.
Remember when Ohio did the "test run" of the voucher program in Cleveland (before it was practiced state wide)? They made it sound like it was only a test drive for poor inner city black kids in Cleveland public schools.
Well I knew several middle to upper middle class kids from middle to upper middle class suburban Cleveland districts who benefitted from vouchers. Some of them (of the ones I knew) benefitted so well they got into Ivy League Universities.
I always wondered if most Ohioans knew that the "test run" of the voucher program was not specificially geared toward poor kids.
Who cares? Rich, poor...black, white, brown...male, female...all kids from ALL backgrounds should have equal access to a quality education and if the public school can't deliver one, those kids should be able to find it elsewhere and the public school should NOT be able to keep the funding that had been allocated for the kids that leave. Taxpayers should be able to access the tax money that was paid into the system for the education of their child.

So the kids in Cleveland benefitted so well that they got into Ivy League universities? Wow, what a huge success story--thanks for pointing that out. Sure beats the prison system like so many kids out of failing schools end up in!(have you seen Waiting for Superman?)
altoona

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Who cares? Rich, poor...black, white, brown...male, female...all kids from ALL backgrounds should have equal access to a quality education and if the public school can't deliver one, those kids should be able to find it elsewhere and the public school should NOT be able to keep the funding that had been allocated for the kids that leave. Taxpayers should be able to access the tax money that was paid into the system for the education of their child.

So the kids in Cleveland benefitted so well that they got into Ivy League universities? Wow, what a huge success story--thanks for pointing that out. Sure beats the prison system like so many kids out of failing schools end up in!(have you seen Waiting for Superman?)
AGREED-

And just because a school is designated by the govt as "performing well" (or even excellent) doesn't mean that all that school's students are getting an equal education.
Curious

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

mark wrote:
It's because you have choices. You can shuffle off. But some people are less mobile and have even worse schools around them. You are probably clever enough to work the system to get your kid somewhere else even if you don't move by applying through the lottery for a spot in another more high-performing school.

Or, you can do as some have done and stay where you are, get the voucher and get enrolled in private school at the state's expense, then move as soon as the kid hits kindergarten to the most affluent area that is still in CCS district. And then there will be that man more poor folks stuck with the same crappy lack of choice, and the cycle of poverty continues.
altoona

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
It's because you have choices. You can shuffle off. But some people are less mobile and have even worse schools around them. You are probably clever enough to work the system to get your kid somewhere else even if you don't move by applying through the lottery for a spot in another more high-performing school.

Or, you can do as some have done and stay where you are, get the voucher and get enrolled in private school at the state's expense, then move as soon as the kid hits kindergarten to the most affluent area that is still in CCS district. And then there will be that man more poor folks stuck with the same crappy lack of choice, and the cycle of poverty continues.
that's the thing. not all kids have parents who know how to "work the system."

and as it stands, the system penalizes kids with clueless parents. it's like this even in better school districts.

just because parents have money doesn't necessarily mean the parents know how to "work the system."
Common Sense

Cygnet, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

This is not a topic that I have researched in the past. Can anyone help me out? Common Sense says that there won't be a negative impact to the taxpayers for a voucher program. According to the Ohio Department of Education website, the Expenditures per Pupil for the 2009-2010 School Year in the Columbus City School District was $7,143 for Instructional Expenditures. In addition, there were per pupil costs for Administrative Expenses ($1,769), Building Operations ($3,364), Staff Support ($901), and Pupil Support ($1,727). That's a whopping $14,904 per student. Seems like we could save a lot of money by closing all of the public schools in Columbus and increasing the vouchers to $10,000 per student. All of the good CPS teachers will be able to find jobs with the private schools as they work to provide a quality education for all of their new students. All of the bad CPS teachers will not be able to find teaching jobs in Ohio and will no longer be a drain on the youth and taxpayers. Everyone happy?
Short North Schools

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

Children who live in the Short North go to Fifth Avenue Elementary not Weinland Park. Fifth Avenue has very caring teachers!
Short North Schools

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

Children who live in the Shorth North go to Fifth Avenue Elementary not Weinland Park Elementary. Fifth Avenue has very loving teachers. My child loved it!
Mimi

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

Even "the best" Columbus School provides sub-par education. I wish I could have sent my child to Catholic schools (although I'm not Catholic) for his education. But we were not black so that was out of the question.
theotherside

Youngstown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2011

I think it's cute how the private schools go out and recruit students with vouchers by telling them they have earned a "scholarship" to attend their private school. Seems ironic that a religiously based school would bend the truth on that issue. And by the way, parochial schools have teacher unions. They may not be the NEA or the AFT, by they are unionized nonetheless. And when will these schools be required to follow all the state and federal regulations that the public schools are required to follow? They take the public money. Follow the rules.
theotherside

Youngstown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2011

I think its cute how the private schools go out and recruit students by baiting them with a so called "scholarship" funded by a voucher. I find it ironic when the religiously based private schools bend this truth. And parochial school teachers belong to a union. May not be the NEA or the AFT, but a union nonetheless. And when are these school going to follow the rules and regulations that the public schools are required to follow. Hardly a level playing field. If you take tax payer money, follow the public rules and regulations. Since the playing field isn't equal, we can't compare effectiveness.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••