Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett links teachers' unions to failing schools

Pennsylvania's public schools have focused too much on teacher contracts and not enough on curriculum, Gov. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Protein for your diet

York, PA

#22 May 10, 2011
Hey Tom Corbett, how about you suck a FAT ONE and CHOKE UPON THY FEEDBACK
HaHaHa

York, PA

#23 May 10, 2011
john doe 000069 wrote:
<quoted text>HaHaHa you're the one that's a idiot. How many people over the years lost their home because of the greedy labor unions. It's time to abolish all labor unions. A person I know had to move from one area to another because of the high school taxes. They are going through hell because the school where they live doesn't meet the requirements their kid needs. This is where the school vochers would come into play.
How does anything that you have written above link teacher's unions to failing schools? One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Let's play this out...we dissolve all teacher's unions. Great! What then...are kids magically going to tap into this universal wealth of knowledge that appeared out of nowhere that was hidden under a rainbow by the teacher's unions? Are all kids out of nowhere going to become Doogie Howser? You know what will happen...NOTHING. If anything it will simply become worse, because at the end of the day, while the parent was at work making their living, an inexperienced teacher in a classroom somewhere, who could really care less because they are barely making a living dealing with the exact same children as before the unions went away. At least before there might have been a teacher in the building who actually had some experience...and some might of even cared. Who are we going to pass the blame onto then...not enough testing...the government...not enough money...colleges not producing "good" teachers...more certifications...what...tell me so I know.

I DO NOT AGREE AT ALL with having my home taxed for education. If anything I beleive it's unconstitutional. I beleive that there are better ways to fund the public school system. Maybe like taxing the oil and gas companies up north?

But abolishing teacher's unions does NOTHING to solve the fact that kids are too preoccupied with what to screw next, which nipple to pierce, and what drug to smoke. If they are not doing any of these things then they are glued in front of a computer, cell phone, or doing some other mindless activity. THose that succeed are driven to succeed and taught to do so by parents, teachers, and sometimes even circumstance. If you want an education...WORK FOR IT...DONT EXPECT that knowledge will just sink into your head without working at it. And parents are too busy being friends with their kids at best than doing their JOB of being real parents and teaching things like manners, discipline, dedication, and self worth. Things they dont make a pill for.

In the same mind set kids and parents need to realized that an education is a PRIVELEDGE and they should be glad they have a school to go to in the first place. There are kids in the world that dont even have that. And the goal of going is to learn something...not a social event. Until that gets through, NOTHING will change. No amount of money, no amount of testing, and no amount of union abolishment will fix what's happening here.

So yes Mr. Corbett you are an idiot...just like countless of other's that make six figures, sitting in nice big chairs, with expense accounts that match actual teacher's salaries, pretending they identified the problem and that the solution is just bill away. What qualifications does he have to make that assumption that "link teachers unions to failing schools" and that by eliminating the unions everything will be great and every student will be a rocket scientist by graduation?
Painful Truth

York, PA

#24 May 11, 2011
xyz wrote:
<quoted text>
So how much does a teacher make that has special education students? They perform below regular eduction and far below gifted students. Students are not widgets. Teachers are not widget makers. Private scools also get to pick or reject students, public school educate ALL students not matter what.
Are you the special ed teacher or a special ed student? Because you are missing the point completely. I never said pay per these ridiculous standards test. It's obviously gotten to the point where even you can't tell a good teacher without using the mandated teaching criteria. Teachers these days ARE widgets. Cookie cutter versions of what was once a respectable profession. BEFORE the union. Which brings us back to the point of this article, teachers unions. Do you job, and do it better than anyone else they could get and you'll get reimbursed accordingly. Or, strive for average, and let your union do the rest.
dbcisco

Wyncote, PA

#25 May 11, 2011
Get rid of all the unions then, not just teachers.

Then we can go back to 12 hour days, six day a week.
Only the rich will have rights and if you try to "unionize or strike" the National Guard can come kill you all, your wives and children too, just like JP Morgan got them to do a few decades back.
Lets bring back slavery too.
Then the rich folk can enjoy anything they can beat you into doing or making for them.

Ah... the good ole days!
dbcisco

Wyncote, PA

#26 May 13, 2011
The right to have unions is protected by law.
Or do we want to say that you deserve more rights than others?
Just single any group you don't like any take only their rights away.
Hmmm, lets go back to when only white male landowners were allowed to vote shall we?
"Gonna buy me some slaves to work my feilds"
"I think only people who can prove that their families have been since 1776 should have any rights. The rest should be slaves or deported."
Makes as much sense as any of the crap here.
You going to start lynching teachers soon?
York Resident

York, PA

#27 May 13, 2011
dbcisco wrote:
The right to have unions is protected by law.
Or do we want to say that you deserve more rights than others?
Just single any group you don't like any take only their rights away.
Hmmm, lets go back to when only white male landowners were allowed to vote shall we?
"Gonna buy me some slaves to work my feilds"
"I think only people who can prove that their families have been since 1776 should have any rights. The rest should be slaves or deported."
Makes as much sense as any of the crap here.
You going to start lynching teachers soon?
Very dramatic .... but maybe next time, you may want to stick to the argument at hand. That tends to make the discussion more sensible and worthwhile.

Teachers need a Union like you need more drama: neither adds anything and obfuscates everything.
Face Eraser

Allentown, PA

#28 May 13, 2011
Anybody seen Jack McCabe?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

School Vouchers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Walker, Burke have clear contrasts on education Sep 11 Harry 2
5 things to know about Wisconsin governor's race Sep 9 QUITTNER on Sep 9... 2
NC judge: Private school vouchers unconstitutional Aug 25 Bob 11
Florida teachers challenge voucher expansion Jul '14 Phil 2
School choice just makes sense Apr '14 MaltaMon 1
Michael McShane: Politico's Voucher Story Is Bogus Mar '14 The Dude 1
Jeb Bush, Hillary Clinton together again to tal... Mar '14 RayOne 1
•••

School Vouchers People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE