Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett lin...

Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett links teachers' unions to failing schools

There are 27 comments on the The York Daily Record story from May 9, 2011, titled Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett links teachers' unions to failing schools. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Pennsylvania's public schools have focused too much on teacher contracts and not enough on curriculum, Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
HaHaHa

York, PA

#1 May 9, 2011
Mr. Corbett...you are in idiot. I am speachless.
john doe 000069

York, PA

#2 May 10, 2011
HaHaHa wrote:
HaHaHa you're the one that's a idiot. How many people over the years lost their home because of the greedy labor unions. It's time to abolish all labor unions. A person I know had to move from one area to another because of the high school taxes. They are going through hell because the school where they live doesn't meet the requirements their kid needs. This is where the school vochers would come into play.
mayhem

York, PA

#3 May 10, 2011
I could not have said it better Mr. Corbett. He hit the nail on the head. I would like to see the Pa. dept. of education get their nose out of the teacher mandates for re-certification & would like repeal of the state mandates that local school districts must contrubute to their pension plan. Time for teachers to face reality and some pain like the rest of us.
Pro Labor Unionist

Rockville, MD

#5 May 10, 2011
Corbett you incompetent moron, lets have more focus on learning to read and write and less focus on meaningless sports activities, and you will see an educated child take root. By the way Governor, lets put you on minimum wage and see how soon you try to find a union job that can pay your bills. Oh thats right, you have no bills...we the tax paying public pay your bills for you. And to those that just praised you, they don't mind paying taxes to support you and our local government. Talk about dedication to government.
Painful Truth

York, PA

#6 May 10, 2011
Pro Labor Unionist wrote:
Corbett you incompetent moron, lets have more focus on learning to read and write and less focus on meaningless sports activities, and you will see an educated child take root. By the way Governor, lets put you on minimum wage and see how soon you try to find a union job that can pay your bills. Oh thats right, you have no bills...we the tax paying public pay your bills for you. And to those that just praised you, they don't mind paying taxes to support you and our local government. Talk about dedication to government.
Where does minimum wage come into play? If teachers are afraid of being paid per performance", then maybe they need to reevaluate their performance. Unions do one thing, and one thing only, protect the lazy. I have never needed a union to protect my job. My hard work and ability did that for me just fine. Face it, there's a reason that just the mention of "union" conjures up visions of lazy, overpaid, complaining, greedy crybabies in the minds of everyone. And why the hatred of sports?
Just_Me

United States

#7 May 10, 2011
john doe 000069 wrote:
<quoted text>How many people over the years lost their home because of the greedy labor unions.
Why don't you enlighten us with real facts and figures...
john doe 000069 wrote:
<quoted text>It's time to abolish all labor unions. A person I know had to move from one area to another because of the high school taxes.
Really??? Where did they move from/to? They must have saved THOUSANDS of dollars per year in school taxes!!
john doe 000069 wrote:
<quoted text>They are going through hell because the school where they live doesn't meet the requirements their kid needs. This is where the school vochers would come into play.
You need to be more specific. Many of us had endured your nonsensical rants over the years. It would be a step in the right direction in proving to us that you are capable of rational thought if you could back up your accusations.

What exactly did labor unions do to prevent the school from meeting the requirements of your "acquaintance's" kid? If the kid needed any special services in order to be able to be taught the same curriculum as his peers, there are methods in place to provide for those needs. Such methods are set in law and not established by unions.

If the kid has needs which require the school to adapt to any physical or other accessibility issues, then the unions have nothing to do with that, either. That is an issue for the district management to address.

Lastly, do you know what an IEP is? It is a legal mandate which requires those involved with teaching a child who has "special needs" to follow specific rules and procedures. Although teachers are involved with the process of creating an IEP, they are not solely responsible for it's implementation. They are usually the "front line" in the execution of an IEP's objectives, but other non-union members of the school district are also responsible for the goals of an IEP being met.
Show me the facts

Carlisle, PA

#8 May 10, 2011
Pro Labor Unionist wrote:
Tough union talk and way off base, as usual. Mentioning sports was the first red flag. Do some research and tell us how much the extra-curricular activities cost as compared to the overall budget. Now tell us how extra-curricular activities are a waste of time and money, even though experts say that a high percentage of top performers are also involved in extra-curricular activities http://www.educationworld.com/a_curr/curr237.... , http://www.public.iastate.edu/~rhetoric/105H1... . More union jargon, cloud or omit the facts and take the focus away from the real issues.
wtf

York, PA

#9 May 10, 2011
the govenor is Satan. The "poor" need a better opportunity to learn?! Are you kidding!!! They have every opportunity, even more given the extra funding innercity school get, yet time after time the so-called parents waste it. No homework, no reading to or with their offspring at night, poor attendance, hight transiency and a prevailing attitude that "I don't need to learn because I can just collect a check like my mom."
Before the govenor thinks voucher competition is okay, why doesn't he help us win the war on teenpregancy and appathy, then maybe we will see the change he so high handedly demands!
Just_Me

United States

#10 May 10, 2011
Show me the facts wrote:
<quoted text>even though experts say that a high percentage of top performers are also involved in extra-curricular activities http://www.educationworld.com/a_curr/curr237.... , http://www.public.iastate.edu/~rhetoric/105H1... . More union jargon, cloud or omit the facts and take the focus away from the real issues.
You reference two articles whose content was both written, and based on, research done over ten years ago. This was a time BEFORE the NCLB came into effect and threw a wrench into the gears of education.

Since NCLB requires more investment in time and money to accommodate the requirements, money which isn't provided to the districts, then the funds need to come from somewhere. Drop the extracurricular sports budget.
xyz

York, PA

#11 May 10, 2011
Painful Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does minimum wage come into play? If teachers are afraid of being paid per performance", then maybe they need to reevaluate their performance. Unions do one thing, and one thing only, protect the lazy. I have never needed a union to protect my job. My hard work and ability did that for me just fine. Face it, there's a reason that just the mention of "union" conjures up visions of lazy, overpaid, complaining, greedy crybabies in the minds of everyone. And why the hatred of sports?
So how much does a teacher make that has special education students? They perform below regular eduction and far below gifted students. Students are not widgets. Teachers are not widget makers. Private scools also get to pick or reject students, public school educate ALL students not matter what.
Chantilly

Bethel, PA

#12 May 10, 2011
HaHaHa wrote:
You are obviously a product of our failing U.S. educational system. Re-read your comment and perhaps you will understand what I mean. Perhaps not. We have spent trillions of dollars on education in the last 40 years and yet we consistently lag behind other countries in education achievement. A major reason for that lack of achievement are teacher's unions and their propensity to protect the incompetent. It's time to completely overhaul our educational system.
wtf

York, PA

#13 May 10, 2011
For the last time, people... The system is not broken, it is what is being put into it that is. Until personal responsibilty and all this self-esteem nonsense dissapears, we will continue to fail, continue to spiral downwards and continue to loose our place in a global world.
WAKE UP!
TiredofIt

York, PA

#14 May 10, 2011
I could never understand why teachers had a union to begin with. They are white collar professionals. Other professionals are assessed on their merits. Ex. Teachers say they can't make a student learn if they do not want to. Well a salesman can't make a person buy anything either but it is his job and if he doesn't he gets fired.
It is called accountablility.

Everything Corbett has said is true and the truth hurts. Why shouldn't parents be given the opportunity to place their children in the school of their choice? This is a free country.
Teachers do not have to live in their districts so why do kids have to go to schools where they live? Double standard here. Its my tax money and finally I may have some say in how it is being spent.
TiredofIt

York, PA

#15 May 10, 2011
When all the city teachers start sending their kids to the city schools and the union leaders as well then I'll start believing more of what they have to say.

Until then it is all blah blah blah.
Truth

Hanover, PA

#16 May 10, 2011
PSEA IS part of the problem. To think other wise is stupid or at best self serving. I agree they need to do away with most of the mandates. They were done because the state wanted to prove to voters they were doing something to fix education and rather than take on the union and thier money they passed silly or stupid mandates. The state needs to take on PSEA. Fix the problem; we need accountabilty and merit pay with no tenutre, not life time employment and salary increases based on nothing but senority.
York

York, PA

#17 May 10, 2011
As a Republican and staunch conservative, I hesitated to vote for Corbett. I was concerned he was the party insider and it was his turn to be governor. I don't like party leadership, as they tend to be RINOs. However, I have to admit, Tom Corbett is doing a fantastic job!!! Keep up the good fight Tom. It's about time we had a leader who actually leads.
dbcisco

Abington, PA

#18 May 10, 2011
Lets abolish all unions!
Bring back scrit and company stores and housing.
Better yet, lets bring back slavery.
Reintroduce child labor.
Abolish minimum wage.
Abolish voting too, people aren't smart enough to have such power!
Next we can round up everyone who doesn't look like us or have our religion and put them in walled cities, better yet just kill them all and let God sort it out.
dbcisco

Abington, PA

#19 May 10, 2011
I don't hear anyone complaing about the social security they will all be "stealing". I also don't hear them asking to have themselves fired or wages cut.

Why not post your jobs so we can tell you what a theif you are. We know politicians are theives,anyone can do their jobs. All they need is to con enough people into voting for them.
York Resident

Harrisburg, PA

#20 May 10, 2011
Common Political Belief That Simply Is Not True

By John Hawkins

"The more money we put into education, the better our schools will perform."

We see the exact same scenario repeated again and again in this country. We hear claims that education is under-funded and it's causing our schools to perform poorly. We respond by ramping up spending dramatically. There's no improvement in performance. A few years later, the cycle repeats.

So what do we get for the second highest spending level (per student) on planet earth?

The three-yearly OECD Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) report, which compares the knowledge and skills of 15-year-olds in 70 countries around the world, ranked the United States 14th out of 34 OECD countries for reading skills, 17th for science and a below-average 25th for mathematics.

We can debate the reasons why our public schools do such a mediocre job until the cows come home and then we can spend twice as long trying to figure out how to fix it, but what we can't rationally do anymore is blame it on our schools being under-funded.
Truth

Hanover, PA

#21 May 10, 2011
dbcisco,
All those things are prevented by law not unions. How does the kool aid taste?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

School Vouchers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Platform: Texas Democrats feel strongly on tran... Jun 20 CA DAD 5
News Can school choice help keep kids out of jail? Apr '16 Mark Fursman 5
News In last radio address, Boehner promotes school ... (Oct '15) Mar '16 Phil 16
News Education 52 mins ago 6:49 p.m.House delays vou... Feb '16 More Facts 2
News NC judge: Private school vouchers unconstitutional (Aug '14) Jan '16 Bob 9
News Florida teachers challenge voucher expansion (Jul '14) Dec '15 Candace 4
News Bush, Rubio court Walker in Wisconsin (Nov '15) Nov '15 WeTheSheeple 8
More from around the web