State Sen. Richard Alloway leads meet...

State Sen. Richard Alloway leads meeting on school vouchers bill

There are 9 comments on the Public Opinion story from Apr 18, 2011, titled State Sen. Richard Alloway leads meeting on school vouchers bill. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

A controversial bill that would institute vouchers for low-income children to attend private schools was the topic of an informal meeting Monday between constituents and state Sen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

Old Alumnus

Conshohocken, PA

#1 Apr 19, 2011
Rich, I really do appreciate your efforts in this regard, but you are off - target. What we really need is a system whereby you can direct your tax dollars to which ever school you choose - public or private. Many people pull their children from public school to put them in private schools. Obviously they feel very strongly about their actions, because their expenses just doubled or tripled , just to insure their child receives a good education. Parents should have the choice of paying school taxes and selecting public school, or paying the tuition for private school. One or the other, not BOTH, like it is now. If parents ( or other tax payers who don't have children ) could select which schooling system to support, you would see an immediate improvement and efficiency of public schools.
really

Fayetteville, PA

#2 Apr 19, 2011
Congratulations to Mr. McLaughlin for saying it like it is.
wake up

Newville, PA

#4 Apr 19, 2011
The facts are: 1) our students do not receive a quality education 2) the cost of education is out of control & too expensive. These issues are at least thirty years old. Twenty years ago, "Home schooling" was being debated with the same arguments that it would add additional costs & taxes would be increased. The arguments against "Home schooling" did not prove to be true. Many of these arguments are being repeated today against "Vouchers". The bottom line is that change has been needed to our education system for the past thirty years. The "Voucher system" will create competition between public & private schools. This is a good thing. Change can be difficult but is very necessary. Get involved with the change and also the kids, everyone will win.
Penn National

Clarksville, MD

#5 Apr 19, 2011
Higher taxes for us retired federal employees.

Will need to cut down on golf and eating out.
zippy

United States

#6 Apr 19, 2011
Amazing! The consensus in the room was to support the bill, but you couldn't tell by reading the P.O. article.
School mother

Mill Hall, PA

#7 Apr 19, 2011
I didn't attend the meeting but I'm not surprised at what zippy says. The PO is pro teachers union and probably opposes school choice like most liberals. So they reported what happened just as you would expect them to.
Walter White

Elizabethtown, PA

#9 Apr 19, 2011
Sen. Alloway knows his voters - anti-teacher, anti-union, anti-public anything meanwhile unable to make it without social security or medicare. Contradiction? Not in this Tea Party paradise.
CASD Taxpayer

Harrisburg, PA

#10 Apr 19, 2011
Well Rich, when you start promoting legislation that increases my property taxes, we will have a parting of ways.

It's past time that schools are funded by some method other than taxes on property. Just because you've saved & scrimped all your life to have a nice home, doesn't mean the government should take it away from you. Let's make those families who chose to have 6 kids and live in a three room apartment start paying their fair share.
Walk a mile in my shoes

Chambersburg, PA

#11 Apr 19, 2011
Get your head out of the sand people. 100 or 200 students on vouchers WILL make a difference. Everyday someone lobbies to slide something else into this bill. Believe me it won't stop in Pittsburgh and Philly and it won't stop with economically disadvantage students. You think your taxes are out of control now, just wait for this to snowball.

Joan, Before you make ridiculous statements like "teachers not teaching", you would be well-advised to spend some time with some quality educators in Franklin County busting their humps for our students. I made the choice to enter the field of education because I wanted to teach! However, our elected officials have nearly stripped me of that duty through testing mandates, senseless legislation, and idiotic blanket statements such as yours.

Well I must get back to lesson plans, grading papers, writing notes to parents, reviewing test data to help guide my instruction and individualize that instruction for my students, and working on my graduate course work to further develop my teaching strategies and techniques.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

School Vouchers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News LGBT kids should be very nervous about Betsy De... 1 hr Core Feminist No ... 1
News Meet Betsy DeVos, the New Education Secretary Nov 29 Devos 666 1
News Betsy DeVos picked for education secretary Nov 29 Devos swamp 666 2
News Here's where Donald Trump stands on education Nov 12 Party Hard In Lin... 1
News Trumpucation Nov 12 Party Hard In Lin... 1
News Private school vouchers will hurt needy students Nov 5 Mister Coach 1
News Candidates for governor take on education quest... Oct '16 ima hoosier 9
More from around the web