GUEST ESSAY: Parental involvement tru...

GUEST ESSAY: Parental involvement trumps parental 'choice'

There are 25 comments on the Public Opinion story from Feb 16, 2011, titled GUEST ESSAY: Parental involvement trumps parental 'choice'. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

I read the Sunday editorial by Matthew Major regarding school vouchers. What he said is true.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#21 Feb 18, 2011
Fed Up 3 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Gadfly"?
Are you unable to, or just unwilling to think through your own long held values?
'...put your own research up!"
Sorry, but I am not your lackey, feel free to conduct your own research. May I suggest 2010 Census figures for starters, next you may consider the PDE website, and finally, call the admissions offices of several colleges universities and inquire about the importance of PSSA scores for college bound seniors.
If you choose to respond to this post, please do so in a more open-minded and respectful tone. Otherwise, it is likely that our little chat has reached a conclusion.
You asked him too many hard questions, and now he's p issed. That's all there is to it.
Fed Up 3

Carlisle, PA

#22 Feb 18, 2011
Sick-Tired wrote:
<quoted text>
You asked him too many hard questions, and now he's p issed. That's all there is to it.
Maybe,
Me thinks he shall return, but with outdated and/or skewed information.
Interesting avatar. What does the plaid symbolize?

Since: Oct 08

York, PA

#23 Feb 18, 2011
The bottom line is that many parents have been absent from their childrens lives for various reaons. Many mothers can no longer stay at home and monitor their children because they have to work to make ends meet not like in the 60's when we actually had a middle class and we required students to be disciplined and respectful.

Bottom line 3 things have changed. Parents have had to go to work or have become parents at too young of an age to know how to parent or they just are not interested in promoting an environment where their children want to learn because they are suffering from some addiction be it sex, drugs or alcohol.

We've removed discipline from the schools because parents didn't want the "board of education" to touch little Tommy's behind because he might get embarrassed or cry. As a result the teachers and administrators no longer have the respect and cannot discipline their students which has led to guns and knives coming into the classroom.

The 60's when drugs became mainstream are now rampant throughout our society and are being used by many children in K-12 schools and even being sold by the same children.

A multitude of social problems with no one willing to force a resolution in favor of supporting the schools.
Fed Up 3

Carlisle, PA

#24 Feb 19, 2011
Absurdity wrote:
The bottom line is that many parents have been absent from their childrens lives for various reaons. Many mothers can no longer stay at home and monitor their children because they have to work to make ends meet not like in the 60's when we actually had a middle class and we required students to be disciplined and respectful.
Bottom line 3 things have changed. Parents have had to go to work or have become parents at too young of an age to know how to parent or they just are not interested in promoting an environment where their children want to learn because they are suffering from some addiction be it sex, drugs or alcohol.
We've removed discipline from the schools because parents didn't want the "board of education" to touch little Tommy's behind because he might get embarrassed or cry. As a result the teachers and administrators no longer have the respect and cannot discipline their students which has led to guns and knives coming into the classroom.
The 60's when drugs became mainstream are now rampant throughout our society and are being used by many children in K-12 schools and even being sold by the same children.
A multitude of social problems with no one willing to force a resolution in favor of supporting the schools.
That paddle hanging on the coat hook, inside the teacher's closet, was always an option. Our knowledge that the teacher could and would use it was enough to keep me in line.
Fed Up 3

Carlisle, PA

#25 Feb 19, 2011
Sick-Tired wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe the troll is asleep under his bridge.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

School Vouchers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Columbus schools administrator who changed data... Aug 27 Big Johnson 1
News Bangert: Awkward! Education reform called out a... Jul '15 Bob 21
News Jeb Bush fights lonely battle for Common Core Jul '15 Maltamon 14
News Huffman revises school voucher bill (Dec '11) Jun '15 Flower 2
News Waukesha School District vouches for a financia... Jun '15 3snugglebunnies 1
News Group Says Breaking Up VA Best Way To Serve Vet... Apr '15 Ecossais 5
News Beilue: Pastors best thing for schools since chalk (Feb '15) Mar '15 Paul Porter1 28
More from around the web