GUEST ESSAY: Parental involvement tru...

GUEST ESSAY: Parental involvement trumps parental 'choice'

There are 25 comments on the Public Opinion story from Feb 16, 2011, titled GUEST ESSAY: Parental involvement trumps parental 'choice'. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

I read the Sunday editorial by Matthew Major regarding school vouchers. What he said is true.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Preach it sir

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Feb 17, 2011
It doesn't matter how great a school is becasue if a students family does not support their education at home then it doesn't matter. At home students should also have structure, they should have a routine. When they get home they should have a snack and work on their homework and studying. After dinner if the student is done then they can play thier Xbox's watch tv etc. Students not getting education structure and support at home is not the schools fault.
pamale

Chambersburg, PA

#2 Feb 17, 2011
Totally agree. An article written by someone who knows.
Tea Party

Harrisburg, PA

#3 Feb 17, 2011
Someone who knows, but was part of the failing system. What else to you expect him to say?
Jordan

Greencastle, PA

#4 Feb 17, 2011
Public sector unionized teachers are paid twice as much as private sector teachers when the aggregate of take home pay plus benefits is compared. The public sector unions, like those in Wisconsin, and here in Pennsylvania, keep demanding more, more, more. Gov. Corbett should take the same steps as the governor of Wisconsin regarding unions.
pete

Chambersburg, PA

#5 Feb 17, 2011
the system is not failing. parents are failing. the system is not designed to overcome a home where education is not valued and enhanced. if you are blaming the system then you are the problem.
deal with it. more reading less tv is a great start.
Grumpy

Chambersburg, PA

#6 Feb 17, 2011
Jordan wrote:
Public sector unionized teachers are paid twice as much as private sector teachers when the aggregate of take home pay plus benefits is compared. The public sector unions, like those in Wisconsin, and here in Pennsylvania, keep demanding more, more, more. Gov. Corbett should take the same steps as the governor of Wisconsin regarding unions.
I think your numbers are incorrect but assuming they are correct private school teachers don't have to put up with parents who aren't interested and supportive. By and large the kids have had some aptitude testing and are known to be capable of doing the work. The private school teacher accepts less for better working conditions.
Blah

Chambersburg, PA

#7 Feb 17, 2011
Preach it sir wrote:
It doesn't matter how great a school is becasue if a students family does not support their education at home then it doesn't matter. At home students should also have structure, they should have a routine. When they get home they should have a snack and work on their homework and studying. After dinner if the student is done then they can play thier Xbox's watch tv etc. Students not getting education structure and support at home is not the schools fault.
What about the child whose parents are actively involved, and attends a failing school? The "flaw" in this argument, how many of the parents looking to move their student aren't actively involved and just want their child out of a failing school. I have no statistics, but I'll wager it is just those familieis.
Fed Up 3

Carlisle, PA

#8 Feb 17, 2011
Blah wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the child whose parents are actively involved, and attends a failing school? The "flaw" in this argument, how many of the parents looking to move their student aren't actively involved and just want their child out of a failing school. I have no statistics, but I'll wager it is just those familieis.
Failing? By what standard? Which district hasn't participated in the overinflation of your lazy child's ego?
LIL JOHN

Shippensburg, PA

#9 Feb 17, 2011
Fed Up 3 wrote:
<quoted text>
Failing? By what standard? Which district hasn't participated in the overinflation of your lazy child's ego?
Fed up is the correct term - when blaming parents and children for the poor job teachers are doing!

You act as if the children are capable of teaching themselves and teachers are just there to take attendance!

Poor performing schools always need the crutches/excuses that the union puts out in their memo!
Fed Up 3

Carlisle, PA

#10 Feb 17, 2011
LIL JOHN wrote:
<quoted text>
Fed up is the correct term - when blaming parents and children for the poor job teachers are doing!
You act as if the children are capable of teaching themselves and teachers are just there to take attendance!
Poor performing schools always need the crutches/excuses that the union puts out in their memo!
With all due respect, when was the last time you were actually in a classroom? Do you actually have any first hand knowledge of what a modern school or classroom is like?
They are very different places from when you and I were students.
LIL JOHN

Shippensburg, PA

#11 Feb 17, 2011
Fed Up 3 wrote:
<quoted text>
With all due respect, when was the last time you were actually in a classroom? Do you actually have any first hand knowledge of what a modern school or classroom is like?
They are very different places from when you and I were students.
Boo Hoo -- another crutch for the 'poor performing teachers'!

It's funny in a tragic way -- that those 'performing schools' don't use those same crutches/excuses , why is that?
Fed Up 3

Carlisle, PA

#12 Feb 17, 2011
LIL JOHN wrote:
<quoted text>
Boo Hoo -- another crutch for the 'poor performing teachers'!
It's funny in a tragic way -- that those 'performing schools' don't use those same crutches/excuses , why is that?
I'm not a teacher so there is no need to be on the attack.

What do you take into consideration when making your determination on whether a school is good or bad?
LIL JOHN

Shippensburg, PA

#13 Feb 17, 2011
Fed Up 3 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a teacher so there is no need to be on the attack.
What do you take into consideration when making your determination on whether a school is good or bad?
What do you take into consideration when making your determination on whether a school is good or bad

Achievement !!!!! What else is there ?

Anything else is another crutch!
Fed Up 3

Carlisle, PA

#14 Feb 17, 2011
LIL JOHN wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you take into consideration when making your determination on whether a school is good or bad
Achievement !!!!! What else is there ?
Anything else is another crutch!
Is achievement based on state test scores, graduation rates, SAT scores, surveys done on parent/student perception of the school system, employment rates of graduates over the past five years,job satisfaction of graduates, median incomes, or something else?

There are more indicators to achievement other than state tests. Please don't tell me you have been brainwashed into believing the validity of a single test. You seem smarter than that.
LIL JOHN

Shippensburg, PA

#15 Feb 18, 2011
Fed Up 3 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is achievement based on state test scores, graduation rates, SAT scores, surveys done on parent/student perception of the school system, employment rates of graduates over the past five years,job satisfaction of graduates, median incomes, or something else?
There are more indicators to achievement other than state tests. Please don't tell me you have been brainwashed into believing the validity of a single test. You seem smarter than that.
Now you've become the gadfly that you hid!

Achievement is being able to do the work at grade level -- when you see a failing school have 40% or more of children that aren't able to even read at their grade level the school is failing , teachers failed , administration failed!

Before you babble about 5 years after graduation etc put your own research up !
You throw all kinds of krap out again to hide the failure of the staff at those schools ..

It's really very simple, these students and schools that fail , can't pass the basic tests to determine what achievement/progress they have made in a year!

Teachers complain about 'teaching to the test'! That's a laugh-er -- if that is true they are even more of a failure because the assumption is that they know what is on the test and they ''still fail'' to have their students pass it!

Here's what the teachers want , more pay , more perks and absolutely no accountability for their work! This is where you see all the excuses for their failures ...

Lets go back to the schools that are not failing --- Why are they not failing? Don't most have the same demographics ?
LIL JOHN

Shippensburg, PA

#16 Feb 18, 2011
Fed Up 3 wrote:
<quoted text>
'''There are more indicators to achievement other than state tests.'''

Oh please -- A student applies for a college or work but cannot read, write, nor do math but is well versed in Gym, Band , or electives gets what ?

Since you claim there are alternative indicators --- tell us what ''your alternative indicators'' are , that will get a student enrolled in higher education or find a job!
Dan the Man

Abington, PA

#17 Feb 18, 2011
Fed Up 3 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! I see you've met our resident mindlessly belligerent rightwing troll.

Have you learned now that he's NOT smarter than that?

Have you learned that "smart" is not a word that is even in the same universe as the liljohnson?
DGS

Catonsville, MD

#18 Feb 18, 2011
LIL JOHN wrote:
<quoted text>
'''There are more indicators to achievement other than state tests.'''
Oh please -- A student applies for a college or work but cannot read, write, nor do math but is well versed in Gym, Band , or electives gets what ?
Since you claim there are alternative indicators --- tell us what ''your alternative indicators'' are , that will get a student enrolled in higher education or find a job!
Give me a class full of motivated Rhodes Scholars and I will give you a class full of children from economically disadvantaged parents that have little education themselves. You teach your class and I teach my class. The class that scores better (not improves the most) on a standardized test dictates how much you and I get paid. See you in the unemployment line.
Fed Up 3

Carlisle, PA

#19 Feb 18, 2011
Dan the Man wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! I see you've met our resident mindlessly belligerent rightwing troll.
Have you learned now that he's NOT smarter than that?
Have you learned that "smart" is not a word that is even in the same universe as the liljohnson?
Good call, Dan!

Well Lil John, PSSA tests are not used for college entrance, SAT scores are. Yes, extra-curriculars are taken into consideration, because colleges want well rounded students.
It demonstrates an ability to approach problems from more than one angle, and thus weigh out the pros and cons of more than one solution, before making a final decision. Student involvement in highschool tends to be decent predictor of success in collage and in life.
Fed Up 3

Carlisle, PA

#20 Feb 18, 2011
LIL JOHN wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you've become the gadfly that you hid!
Achievement is being able to do the work at grade level -- when you see a failing school have 40% or more of children that aren't able to even read at their grade level the school is failing , teachers failed , administration failed!
Before you babble about 5 years after graduation etc put your own research up !
You throw all kinds of krap out again to hide the failure of the staff at those schools ..
It's really very simple, these students and schools that fail , can't pass the basic tests to determine what achievement/progress they have made in a year!
Teachers complain about 'teaching to the test'! That's a laugh-er -- if that is true they are even more of a failure because the assumption is that they know what is on the test and they ''still fail'' to have their students pass it!
Here's what the teachers want , more pay , more perks and absolutely no accountability for their work! This is where you see all the excuses for their failures ...
Lets go back to the schools that are not failing --- Why are they not failing? Don't most have the same demographics ?
"Gadfly"?
Are you unable to, or just unwilling to think through your own long held values?
'...put your own research up!"
Sorry, but I am not your lackey, feel free to conduct your own research. May I suggest 2010 Census figures for starters, next you may consider the PDE website, and finally, call the admissions offices of several colleges universities and inquire about the importance of PSSA scores for college bound seniors.
If you choose to respond to this post, please do so in a more open-minded and respectful tone. Otherwise, it is likely that our little chat has reached a conclusion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

School Vouchers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bangert: Awkward! Education reform called out a... Jul 18 Bob 21
News Jeb Bush fights lonely battle for Common Core Jul 11 Maltamon 14
News Huffman revises school voucher bill (Dec '11) Jun '15 Flower 2
News Waukesha School District vouches for a financia... Jun '15 3snugglebunnies 1
News Group Says Breaking Up VA Best Way To Serve Vet... Apr '15 Ecossais 5
News Beilue: Pastors best thing for schools since chalk Mar '15 Paul Porter1 28
News Gospel singer launches pro-education effort (Jul '06) Dec '14 Film Director Phil 4
More from around the web