GUEST ESSAY: School voucher proposal ...

GUEST ESSAY: School voucher proposal raises many questions

There are 51 comments on the Public Opinion story from Feb 7, 2011, titled GUEST ESSAY: School voucher proposal raises many questions. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Recently, there has been a lot of attention paid to Senate Bill 1, which would for the first time create a system of taxpayer-funded vouchers which parents could allegedly use to "choose" what school their child can go to if their current school is inadequate.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
edc

Easley, SC

#1 Feb 8, 2011
you state most of the costs are fixed,but schools having less students should be able to adjust these fixed costs accordingly.also interesting you admit to a difference between voucher of 9000 and a cost per student of 20000.this difference of 11000 your numbers per student is what the local school board/administers have to adjust too per student.sounds workable to me.
Paula

Greencastle, PA

#2 Feb 8, 2011
Leach is a Democrat. Beholden to teachers union in the Montgomery Co./Philly region, he is carrying water for the unions who are dead set against school vouchers. Leach is not credible.
QAZ

Shippensburg, PA

#3 Feb 8, 2011
As long as public education is run by unions it will continue to fail. So, lets give something else a shot.
Ted

Greencastle, PA

#4 Feb 8, 2011
Daylin Leach, a Progressive/Democrat, crowed in March 2010 when he announced that the Senate Judiciary Committee defeated a bill that would amend the Pennsylvania Constitution to define marriage as between one man and one woman only. Leach is for all things Progressive/Liberal. Leach can be trusted as far as you can throw his Liberal puke body.
Really

Orrtanna, PA

#5 Feb 8, 2011
Look at 3 of the first 4 responses, you can't attack the message so you attack the messenger. Public and Private schools who accept vouchers should be required to accept every student who applies just as public schools are required to accommodate each student living within their district. Make it an even playing field and the public schools will compete quite nicely.
Dave

Shippensburg, PA

#6 Feb 8, 2011
Ted wrote:
Daylin Leach, a Progressive/Democrat, crowed in March 2010 when he announced that the Senate Judiciary Committee defeated a bill that would amend the Pennsylvania Constitution to define marriage as between one man and one woman only. Leach is for all things Progressive/Liberal. Leach can be trusted as far as you can throw his Liberal puke body.
Evidently Ted thinks we should discriminate against some of our citizens.
Michael Peterson

Jersey Shore, PA

#7 Feb 8, 2011
If this is the example of critical thinking from a member of the Education Committee, I fear for our future.

Senator Leach argues that a student who leaves will get a voucher for $9,000. The Senator's argument is that the this will leave the school in a bind because the school will still need to heat the building, pay the nurse, hire a security guard, and pay other fixed costs.

However, only a few paragraphs later, the Senator asks who will pay the difference between the $9,000 voucher and the $20,000 or more that most of the better public schools spend per child now.

Are you kidding me? If a school can't keep over half the money assigned to the student and yet provide no servic; then you've got a very poorly run school.

Also, the Senator argues that in the case of private schools, most charge far more than $9,000 per year. Supporters of SB 1 do not explain how the "low-income" people eligible for vouchers would come up with the additional thousands of dollars they would need to "choose" to go to their favorite private school.

Has the Senator ever heard of scholarships? I know many Liberal's idea of charity is increasing taxes; but there are people out there who give money to private schools so those schools can afford opportunity to the less fortunate.

Why should we continue to trap students in failing schools? School vouchers are fair and right.
Dave

Shippensburg, PA

#8 Feb 8, 2011
edc wrote:
you state most of the costs are fixed,but schools having less students should be able to adjust these fixed costs accordingly.also interesting you admit to a difference between voucher of 9000 and a cost per student of 20000.this difference of 11000 your numbers per student is what the local school board/administers have to adjust too per student.sounds workable to me.
You are an idiot with zero knowledge of how a district operates.

Take out one kid, tell me how you save $9,000 a year.
Dave

Shippensburg, PA

#9 Feb 8, 2011
School Vouchers. Taking money from troubled district makes little sense.

The districts would be left with the students no one else would take, rising the cost per student.

I don't want my tax dollars going to some religious school.

This bill should be defeated.

While they are at it, its time we end funding cyber schools.
Spartacus

Newville, PA

#10 Feb 8, 2011
Another article, another comment section, and Dave is already on here bullying and calling someone a name for daring to have a different opinion.

Is it okay with Davey if MY tax dollars go to abortion providers?

It's a sad situation when your life revolves around a small town newspaper, obsessing because someone might think differently than you. That is a form of discrimination Mr. Dave.

It is your right to disagree but I feel sorry for you.
Chambersburg mom of 3

Shippensburg, PA

#12 Feb 8, 2011
I think you are missing an important point. If people chose to remove their kids from a bad, under achieving school, at some point the public school will wake up and close the schools that are not teaching our kids. Condense the kids who want to stay in the public schools. There is every reason for parents to be able to chose what kind of education they want for their kids. Obviously the current system isn't working. So many kids are getting poor educations, from poor teachers. I know there are good teachers, but they are not the majority anymore, that is proven by the test scores and the amount of kids who can't get into college. This is not just directed to our region.
Also $9,000 can send a child to private school. We are already asked to pay above and beyond our taxes to send kids to public school. We get lets each year for supplies, tissues, fund raisers, music equipment. I honestly don't know how families who are struggling are making it.
It's our children who are left to suffer. They are the next generation of politicians. I can't imagine anyone complaining about allowing a child the opportunity to get a great education. Stop expecting your government to fix all the problems with taxes. Start to take care of yourself and help your neighbors. When did we stop offering a hand to help and turned it into a hand up waiting for a free ride?
Vanessa

Greencastle, PA

#13 Feb 8, 2011
Consider the large number of inner city schools that fail again and again and again and again. They have incompetent teachers, slugs, who are protected by the union and cannot be removed. Parents of children trapped in these schools know there are better schools, successful schools, with better teachers and given a voucher they will make the change. It is free market capitalism. Given a choice of where they can spend their money (the voucher) parents will use the voucher to get their children the best education they can.
Embedded Citizen

Hagerstown, MD

#14 Feb 8, 2011
I wonder how much funding the fine Sen. Daylin Leach receives from the 800lbs gorilla, aka the PSEA?
one who knows

United States

#15 Feb 8, 2011
vouchers ARE NEEDED for parents that want their children to be able to learn the actual baics of education. BECAUSE especially elementary teachers that are teaching in today's society have only been teaching for a couple of years and THEY themselves don't know the basics of reading, writing, and arithmetic, the PSSA Association is pushing all of the idiotic idealogy. About 1/3 of all 7th grade students do not know basics of math or American History, and these students are in the so called good schools.
Children should be taught the beginnings of cursive writing in the first grade like the children of years ago. Addition, substraction, and writing NOT printing in the second grade, Multiplication and long division, and all writing in the third grade. IF these concepts are NOT TAUGHT in these grades HOW IN THE BLAZES can any other college ideas be even thought of to be taught. What they are teaching now has squat to do with the real world. I know a man that is 82 years old with an eigth grade education, a vet. of WWII and Korean Conflict and HE can just look at a list of numbers and add them in his head, his writing is very, very legible unlike the children that graduate from high school in todays world. Vouchers should be given so that parents can place their children where they CAN learn these basics to begin with. They can even place them in Home-schooling.
Fordguy

Harrisburg, PA

#16 Feb 8, 2011
Dave wrote:
School Vouchers. Taking money from troubled district makes little sense.
The districts would be left with the students no one else would take, rising the cost per student.
I don't want my tax dollars going to some religious school.
This bill should be defeated.
While they are at it, its time we end funding cyber schools.
If the ultimate goal of an education system is to funnel tax dollars to administrators and the teachers and fancy buildings, then your view makes sense.

If the utlimate goal is to ensure that children are educated, regardless of the venue, and that the one-size-fits-all current model is not working for many children, not so much.

An increasing number of informed people are coming around to the second view.
Dave

Shippensburg, PA

#17 Feb 8, 2011
Fordguy wrote:
<quoted text>
If the ultimate goal of an education system is to funnel tax dollars to administrators and the teachers and fancy buildings, then your view makes sense.
If the utlimate goal is to ensure that children are educated, regardless of the venue, and that the one-size-fits-all current model is not working for many children, not so much.
An increasing number of informed people are coming around to the second view.
Gee I did not know that all education dollars are just funneled into the pockets of administrators & teachers.

When you pay private schools, your money goes into this magical place & presto chango the kids tare educated. I wonder, just how they do that without any administrators, teachers or buildings.

The law says Pennsylvania has to educate kids. We, as tax payers, provide such a education. Its called the public school system. Take it or pay to go elsewhere yourself. School vouchers is not new.

If the public school isn't working, then I suggest its the parent's fault more than the system.
Dave

Shippensburg, PA

#18 Feb 8, 2011
Spartacus wrote:
Another article, another comment section, and Dave is already on here bullying and calling someone a name for daring to have a different opinion.
Is it okay with Davey if MY tax dollars go to abortion providers?
It's a sad situation when your life revolves around a small town newspaper, obsessing because someone might think differently than you. That is a form of discrimination Mr. Dave.
It is your right to disagree but I feel sorry for you.
Your dollars fund abortions when you pay for your health insurance policy.
Steve

Greencastle, PA

#19 Feb 8, 2011
This so-called essay came from Daylin Leach's website. It was written primarily for the benefit of Leach's constituents in his district which is heavily populated by Leftist Liberals living along the main line. How it came to be sent to the P.O. isn't known but some Democrat is trying to peddle Leach's Liberal views about vouchers.
welcome to recruiting

York, PA

#20 Feb 8, 2011
If Vouchers come into the system, I promise you that high school athletics will become a recruiting ground where schools will stockpile good athletes with vouchers.
redsmom

Hagerstown, MD

#21 Feb 8, 2011
what's wrong with religious schools? my son went to a religious school for 6 years and he was taught to be respectful, to be curtious,how to be his own person and not go with the crowd,care about others(not just himself),how to read properly and a whole lot of other things.don't put down religious schools.every penny i spent was well worth it.those teachers make alot less but in my opinion did a much better job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

School Vouchers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Cynical Dishonesty of Anti-Choice - Educati... Jun 7 Maltamon 1
News Nevada leaders deal blows to school vouchers, p... Jun 2 Maltamon 1
News What to Watch: Why school vouchers may be back ... May '17 Maltamon 5
News DeVos booed speaking at historically black univ... May '17 Bob 5
News Study Shows School Vouchers Hurt Students -- Bu... May '17 slick willie expl... 3
News Education Reform: Go Ahead, Sweat the Small Stuff May '17 Maltamon 1
News AFT President: Betsy DeVos and Donald Trump Are... May '17 Curious 1
More from around the web