The New Schools: Cyber-charter fundin...

The New Schools: Cyber-charter funding draws controversy

There are 10 comments on the Lebanon Daily News story from Dec 27, 2010, titled The New Schools: Cyber-charter funding draws controversy. In it, Lebanon Daily News reports that:

While charter and cyber-charter schools have been hailed by some as wonderful alternatives to traditional schools, there is also some controversy about how cyber-charter schools are funded.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lebanon Daily News.

Crap

Doylestown, PA

#1 Dec 27, 2010
Cyber schools are a joke. We might as well save the money and just hand them a diploma. Because they really aren't learning a thing in cyber school.

I see it as a last resort for schools to keep their drop out rates low. Rather than quitting or getting kicked out they offer kids an alternative... you can log in to this website and we'll hand you a diploma when you're finished.

I think the only people eligible for cyber school should be those with severe mental illness or chronic physical ailments.
Great news

United States

#2 Dec 27, 2010
You'll be on scholarship, mister crud!
Main Street

Lancaster, PA

#3 Dec 27, 2010
I wouldn't expect Dennis Tulli to say anything negative about cyber-charter schools now that he is on the payroll for one as the CEO.

Also, I find it hard to buy anything he says considering he doesn't even know it's the Cornwall-Lebanon School District, not the Cedar Crest school district.
Say What

Mount Aetna, PA

#4 Dec 28, 2010
I will keep posting this until it sticks. You cannot silence the truth.

Cybers schools / private schools put profits over education.

There is something seriously wrong with Corporate American profitting from the Public Education System. There are some places where profit should NOT be the motive. Like healthcare and education. Teaching kids and help the sick get better should be the priority, not dividends and stock prices.

Sorry kids, no new textbooks this year. Our stock price is down and CEO - I mean Principal Skinner has to keep his stockholders happy by paying dividends. Maybe next year.
Eat your words

Bowling Green, KY

#5 Dec 28, 2010
Say What wrote:
I will keep posting this until it sticks. You cannot silence the truth.
Cybers schools / private schools put profits over education.
There is something seriously wrong with Corporate American profitting from the Public Education System. There are some places where profit should NOT be the motive. Like healthcare and education. Teaching kids and
help the sick get better should be the priority, not dividends and stock prices.
Sorry kids, no new textbooks this year. Our stock price is down and CEO - I mean Principal Skinner has to keep his stockholders happy by paying dividends. Maybe next year.
Dear Parents and Students,
due to Teacher contract negotiations and the ridiculous salaries we pay our school district administration, we are unable to provide new textbooks for you this year and we will be cutting extra-curricular activities until further notice.

Some of us will receive raises even though we haven't earned one, but remember you will not pass a class unless you earn the passing grade. 

We must guarantee teacher salaries and honor the contracts of administration before we can guarantee you any type education. 

FYI-there is no warranty or extended warranty available with the education we provide. Sorry. 

Disclaimer: We the teachers and Administrators' are not responsible for your failure, however we are more than happy to accept responsibility for your success. If you fail. Blame your parents. It's probably their fault. 

Reminder to parents: The last day to pay your property tax bill is Dec. 31st

Happy New Year!
too funny

United States

#6 Dec 28, 2010
I know a 6 year old in cyber school who can't even count to 15, and another 6 year old who can count to 100 and goes to regular school. What does that tell you. Also I doubt the parents of these kids make them do their work and probably do it for them.
Eat your words

United States

#7 Dec 28, 2010
too funny wrote:
I know a 6 year old in cyber school who can't even count to 15, and another 6 year old who can count to 100 and goes to regular school. What does that tell you. Also I doubt the parents of these kids make them do their work and probably do it for them.
Like we do now? Please give me another class project to do? I love arts & crafts.
Otherside

Dover, PA

#8 Dec 29, 2010
The 6 year old comparison tells me nothing. I know many cyber school children who are well mannered,speak properly, eloquently and educated. I know many brick and mortar students who started school as above but have since become foul mouthed,mean,nasty,or bullied so much they are depressed or mimicking their abusers so they "fit in"
Say What

Mount Aetna, PA

#9 Dec 29, 2010
Eat your words wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Parents and Students,
due to Teacher contract negotiations and the ridiculous salaries we pay our school district administration, we are unable to provide new textbooks for you this year and we will be cutting extra-curricular activities until further notice.
Some of us will receive raises even though we haven't earned one, but remember you will not pass a class unless you earn the passing grade. 
We must guarantee teacher salaries and honor the contracts of administration before we can guarantee you any type education. 
FYI-there is no warranty or extended warranty available with the education we provide. Sorry. 
Disclaimer: We the teachers and Administrators' are not responsible for your failure, however we are more than happy to accept responsibility for your success. If you fail. Blame your parents. It's probably their fault. 
Reminder to parents: The last day to pay your property tax bill is Dec. 31st
Happy New Year!
God Forbid, you pay a honest salary for an honest days work. Maybe we should teleconference our classrooms into China and pay them 3% of what we are paying AMERICANS. You capitalist Republican scum make me sick. You sell out your own children and country in the name of making a dollar.

I have no problem with paying my property taxes. I have 2 children in public schools and we as a family and society are reeping the benefits from good public education. My kids have excellent teachers and they are paid fairly based on the level of responsibility and importantance of taking care of my kids 8 hours a day.$50,000 dollars a year to insure the 18 kids in her class become productive members of society. PRICELESS.

Corporate CEOs who make $5 MILLION dollars a year to send American jobs overseas. WORTHLESS.
No CRAP

Oil City, PA

#10 Feb 22, 2012
Well thats CRAP right there my kids were failing depspite everything we tried hiring tutors etc. Not to mention the bullying they endured EVERY SINGLE DAY from people like you... My daughter was cutting herself because of the bullies and she is smart and beautiful with no reason to be bullied.. Now she is getting awesome grades that she earned on her own and the work is even harder more challenging .. That raised her self esteem and she stopped cutting herself since she no longer gets bullied.. We parents pay our school taxes so what should matter is they are safely getting educations.. You should go to how-to-stop-bullies.com and read that and maybe you might not be so hard on parents homeschooling their children and take some lessons yourself on bullying the weeker man!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Home Schooling Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Parents Debate on Children's Vaccination Requir... 11 hr TRASH SCIENCE 25
News Home school no longer just for the deeply relig... (Sep '13) 14 hr QUITTNER May 27 2015 15
News 15 apps to help your child learn outside of the... May 25 Phil 4
News A stand for public schools includes pushback of... May 7 Tazo 6
News A Republican Slap In The Face To Latinos and Hi... Apr '15 Who Guessed it 6
News Colorado Senate OKs Tax Credits For Private Sch... Mar '15 noMatlaM 1
News Finding freedom: Family moves to Morristown to ... (Dec '08) Mar '15 Check the Source 24
More from around the web