Don Polson The way I see it: Union en...

Don Polson The way I see it: Union endorsed school board serves whom?

There are 38 comments on the Red Bluff Daily News story from Nov 15, 2010, titled Don Polson The way I see it: Union endorsed school board serves whom?. In it, Red Bluff Daily News reports that:

Don Polson has called Red Bluff home since 1988, is a past president of the Tehama County Association of Realtors, licensed since 1994.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Red Bluff Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dutchman

Redding, CA

#1 Nov 15, 2010
McIver ran against Doug LaMalfa and lost by more than a 2 to 1 margin. It wouldn't surprise me to see her trying to get her foot back in the door for another run.

I understand that Teachers were asked by their Unions to vote for Brown and if they could not do that, then not to vote for Governor.

How 'bout that Charlie Rangel, using his campaign money to pay for his personal attorneys? Let a Republican try that and see what happens.

36 out of 58 California Counties voted for Meg Whitman. So Brown becomes Governor by winning only 40% of the State's Counties. It was pretty much the same thing with Boxer.

The metropolitan areas control our state and they will go after our water next. Time to split this state?
Get it right

Long Beach, CA

#2 Nov 15, 2010
It would be nice if you Mr.Polson had your information correct. They still have 3500 votes to count. Sounds to me like most of your info is incorrect.
Dorothy

San Marcos, CA

#3 Nov 15, 2010
Great article! If you want to see the fall out from a Union backed school board in action, look to Vista Unified School District in Vista, CA (North San Diego County) and see that the Board comprises 4 Union supported members and 1 lone conservative. They consistantly vote according to the hand that feeds them. The Board Majority was asked to get back the $546.000 that the teacher's union owes the district in short pay and it took them over a year to finally approve a lawsuit to get it back. It will be interesting to see what happens next election cycle.
Don Polson

Anderson, CA

#4 Nov 15, 2010
Get it right wrote:
It would be nice if you Mr.Polson had your information correct. They still have 3500 votes to count. Sounds to me like most of your info is incorrect.
My mistake if I missed that in the article in the paper. However, my information on the cozy relationship, some would say corrupting relationship, of unions, money, and political spending is, shall we say with all humility, spot on. Nothing I wrote would be any different if only 2 out of 3 won.
Don Polson

Anderson, CA

#5 Nov 15, 2010
Dorothy wrote:
Great article! If you want to see the fall out from a Union backed school board in action, look to Vista Unified School District in Vista, CA (North San Diego County) and see that the Board comprises 4 Union supported members and 1 lone conservative. They consistantly vote according to the hand that feeds them. The Board Majority was asked to get back the $546.000 that the teacher's union owes the district in short pay and it took them over a year to finally approve a lawsuit to get it back. It will be interesting to see what happens next election cycle.
Thank you for the info. I know Vista well from when I was young and rented a room in someone's house in Del Mar. Worked 3 jobs and rarely got to enjoy the beach, but beautiful area.
Don Polson

Anderson, CA

#6 Nov 15, 2010
Get it right wrote:
It would be nice if you Mr.Polson had your information correct. They still have 3500 votes to count. Sounds to me like most of your info is incorrect.
Just a final mention of my source: the official Tehama Co election results which mentioned nothing about uncounted ballots:

http://www.co.tehama.ca.us/index.php...
Reality

Los Molinos, CA

#7 Nov 15, 2010
So union backing and integrity are mutually exclusive?

I believe that global warming is real but I voted for repeal (acute adverse economic effect). To say that if someone voted for AB 23 that they think this:

"consider it to be one of the greatest frauds ever perpetrated by scientists and politicians in modern histor"

just illustrates what an ubalanced right wing fanatic you are. Get a grip. Tehama County voters are not as far right as you think. You come off sounding like hubris has overcome your reason. Also, it is possible to be a Democrat and a conservative. In fact what california needs most are more conservative Democrats. But in your world R = good D = Bad. What a simple mind you have Doozy.
never again

United States

#8 Nov 15, 2010
Poison strikes again, again, and again, and
again~~ quite obviously out of work with time
to spend on the internet This right wing
extremist, apologist of the sheet T Potty is
critical of unions while bragging of former
allegiance to a Realty Board well known for
advancing the well being of its members at the
publics expense~~i.e.stipulated commission fee
structures. Union dues cannot by law be used
for political purposes without individual members
agreement to such practice.Do individual members
of the Local Reakty Boards conseent to their
dues being spent on political events? I think not.
Unions have contributed more to individual freedoms
of American Citizens than Palin and the T Potty.
forgotten students

Palo Cedro, CA

#9 Nov 15, 2010
Plain and Simple RBUHS takes Staff over Students try living in a rural area that had Bus service for 50 years to RBUHS but to save jobs they cut off the Bus run leaving Parents to drive there Students 7000 to 14000 Miles per year to closest Bus Stop , but our Children can be proud that RBUHS one of the worst rated HS in the State last few years, were able to save all those Union Teachers who built that boat,
Most of all Thank You Dan Curry and the Board for supporting our Students and Rural Parents ,
seems all those voters in town like having Bus Service, to bad the 36E Students have to move to Town for a Ride, and you dont care if you kill small Schools doing it.
Lost Trust

Long Beach, CA

#10 Nov 15, 2010
Don,

I've read your articles for quite some time now, but being 'close' to this particular story, you've given me pause when I read your articles in the future. You painted with a rather broad brush on this one, and a phone call or two before you sent off to print would probably have been helpful in producing a more thoughtful commentary. Seeing something on a national news show doesn't necessarily make it so here. You missed on this one Don.

Fact Check.
look again

Oregon House, CA

#11 Nov 15, 2010
Mr. Polson if you had been to a board meeting in the past few years you would realize why there was a vote for new people. It has nothing to do with union agendas it has to do with removing board members with there own, non kid-friendly, agendas. Also to hopefully keep the Super in check. Ask a few questions about the current board and you would realize what is going on. Matt Etzler wasn't even voted in, he was appointed by the board. PS I voted for Meg and Carly.
Lush Rimbaugh

United States

#12 Nov 15, 2010
As set forth above, hubris, indeed.

"However, my information on the cozy relationship, some would say corrupting relationship, of unions, money, and political spending is, shall we say with all humility, spot on."

- and to counter, corporations, i.e., employers, have no say in the political process, but instead, are frail, wallflowers over which unions and liberal fanatics run roughshod. A cut and paste from any previous article by the author reads as similar.

Checks and balances, man, checks and balances are the lifeblood of our great nation - just as the forefathers intended because, unlike the author, they had the wisdom and foresight to know of the worrisome consequences of a singular ruling party.

And, maybe the author should volunteer at a public school once in a while - just to keep those dang unions in check, and maybe also, for an eye opening experience as to the fact not every teacher sits behind a 24K desk with a bejeweled ruler, subservient to a mighty "union wizard" situated behind a curtain in Oz, err, Liberaland.
Orv

Santa Cruz, CA

#13 Nov 15, 2010
So, using union money to sway elections is unethical, right? What about corporate money? Or is that just good business practice?
Lush Rimbaugh

United States

#14 Nov 15, 2010
Orv wrote:
So, using union money to sway elections is unethical, right? What about corporate money? Or is that just good business practice?
It's a good business practice for constituents whether performed by a union (employees) or corporation (stockholders)...fiduciary duties and all that kinda stuff.
Lush Rimbaugh

United States

#15 Nov 15, 2010
Lost Trust wrote:
Seeing something on a national news show doesn't necessarily make it so here.
Do you claim that the meme according to the trinity, i.e., Limbaugh, Hannity and Beck, cannot be universally applied to every situation and environment in this vast and diverse country? No, you're kidding me, right? Hello? Really?
wondering

Bella Vista, CA

#16 Nov 16, 2010
Where did you get information that the union spent generous amounts of money to promote the school board candidates they recommended? And what do you consider generous amounts? I know that your column is an opinion piece, but perhaps you should somehow verify your comment. I don't think the local teacher's union spends large sums for any political reason. I believe most of the member's dues probably goes to state and national union treasuries. Perhaps a union member can comment on that.
Don Polson

Anderson, CA

#17 Nov 16, 2010
wondering wrote:
Where did you get information that the union spent generous amounts of money to promote the school board candidates they recommended? And what do you consider generous amounts? I know that your column is an opinion piece, but perhaps you should somehow verify your comment. I don't think the local teacher's union spends large sums for any political reason. I believe most of the member's dues probably goes to state and national union treasuries. Perhaps a union member can comment on that.
Please spare me the gullible union-advocate line of query. Glossy ads plastered the county's mailboxes. Don't insult people's intelligence that unions don't spend tons of bucks to influence elections(and no, I won't indulge your argument by providing documentation). Teachers unions spend money precisely because voters are involved in the decision process. Want to avoid the obvious conflict of interest? Simply deny unions the ability to spend taxpayer money on advocating to taxpayers. They can still spend any money they can voluntarily raise outside of forced union dues. Even voluntary contributions from their members. Sounds fair enough.
Red Bluff Libertarian

Wichita, KS

#18 Nov 17, 2010
"(and no, I won't indulge your argument by providing documentation). "

well, isn't that special!

I never received a single advertisement regarding the school board slate of candidates.

if you won't prove it... then it is safe to assume that you can't. Or didn't Breitbart cover the Tehama County elections?
Gleeson

Los Molinos, CA

#19 Nov 17, 2010
Red Bluff Libertarian wrote:
"(and no, I won't indulge your argument by providing documentation). "
well, isn't that special!
I never received a single advertisement regarding the school board slate of candidates.
if you won't prove it... then it is safe to assume that you can't. Or didn't Breitbart cover the Tehama County elections?
I believe Mr Polson was referring to the Daily News advertisements, KBLF radio advertisements and even the Letter to the Editor. These are the ones I am aware of. Perhaps there were other ads as well.
Don Polson

Anderson, CA

#20 Nov 17, 2010
Red Bluff Libertarian wrote:
"(and no, I won't indulge your argument by providing documentation). "
well, isn't that special!
I never received a single advertisement regarding the school board slate of candidates.
if you won't prove it... then it is safe to assume that you can't. Or didn't Breitbart cover the Tehama County elections?
Multiple flyers in my box. The truth. Spare the fallacious arguments.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Home Schooling Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News WNC sees unease over corporal punishment (Apr '08) 1 hr Cover For Nervy M... 228
News World Exclusive 2 hr donald J W Trump 1
News My son, 8, with special needs, has been failed ... 3 hr donald J W Trump 1
News Simonmonenew2cmyk2 162x162 Dec 31 Wild Nubile Cuties 2
News Mosque opens doors to school kids Dec '16 Pupil Harem Is Lurid 18
News Home-schooling parents can still recover costs ... Dec '16 Home-Schooled in ... 8
News Home schooling association keeping quiet since ... Dec '16 Peeer Hove Is Limp 2
More from around the web