SWL board hears plea to let home-schooler play ball

Full story: ThisWeek Community Newspapers

Twelve-year-old Connor Strayer has outgrown his club basketball team in height and age.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 5 of5
Nicole Horton

Pataskala, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2011

Judged:

I would love to see this policy change as I also have some home schooled children for various reasons, but would love to be able to participate in activities such as sports or even band and choir that is hard to do with home schooling. And with the various other problems that may come about, I may have all of my children at home schooled and that takes two of them out of track and one out of cross country which is very important to them...
A home school mom

Newark, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2011

Judged:

These policies that the so-called 'public' schools implement should not be allowed. Home school families pay taxes and get nothing in return, yet by choosing to home school we save the schools money in so many ways. Kids who live in a school district but who are home schooled should be allowed to try out for the teams/band/choir classes, and pay any and all appropriate fees, just like the other kids pay. Schools have no problem taking our money, but then want to keep our kids from playing because they do not reap the benefit of receiving federal funds for our kids. They do however receive local taxes for our kids. It is wrong and shows greed on the part of the schools.
If 'public' schools were truly public then all would be allowed to participate and take a class here or there as they desired. The public library is truly public and allows the public of all ages to use its facilities and does not deny anyone the right to use their services, which are paid for with public funds. They also do not force anyone to use their facility or their services. That is also how public schools should operate, but they are public in name only and are not a service that the taxpaying public gets to use unless they hand over their kids, and even then it is only for the kids who are handed over. For those of us who choose to educate our own children by home schooling or sending our kids to private school the 'public' school is cut off from us, though we help support it. This is wrong, but most people are too tunnel-visioned to see through this hypocrisy. If 'public' schools are truly public then they need to be given back to the public and operate like public libraries. Home schoolers are not turned away from the library, so why are they turned away from their own school district and not allowed to play sports since we always hear how the schools are 'for the kids' when they have their hands out for more of our hard-earned money?
Katie

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2011

To home school mum hello you stick to your guns and you will win in the end best of luck-Katie.PS never back down from a fire fight if you back down once you will back down all your life-GO FOR IT GIRL XXXXX.
concerned

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2011

Best of luck. Its sad because I've taken my son out of Licking Heights to be home schooled because he was bullied and never got the attention he deserved from his teaching staff. The only thing that he is upset about now is not being able to participate in the sport he's loved so much the past few years. The schools are out of control. So, keep fighting for what is right and I personally hope he gets to play.
Pilot 337

Spring Valley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2011

Personally, I would not say the schools are OUT of control. My opinion is they are controlled by TOO MANY different entities. They have Federal mandates, State mandates and control, local control by school boards who often attempt to micro-manage the people they hire to run the schools-your administrators. And then, finally, there are the parents, who mean well but have their own different and often conflicting agendas, usually based on what is best for THEIR individual situation. How can everyone's needs be satisfied? The reality is, they can't. But that's not the way we, as a society, think today. The individual need used to be subordinate to the majority need, but we seem to think that can be reversed. My personal opinion is that it can't.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 5 of5
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••