The Downside to Homeschooling

The Downside to Homeschooling

There are 33 comments on the Associated Content story from Dec 28, 2006, titled The Downside to Homeschooling. In it, Associated Content reports that:

To every opinion, there is an opposite side. While some see homeschooling as a definite plus to teaching children, many things about it can also keep back a child in various ways.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Associated Content.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Trying to raise a good man!”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#21 Jan 17, 2008
thank you. i finally put my kid in pub. school and because they didn't believe he was on the level i told them he was on, they put him in the slow class and not only that, those kids happened to be the most unruly. they're terrible! i know it's my responsibility to teach him how to deal with certain situations, but how can a 7 yr. old thrive around negativity? i had no idea kids had gotten to this point!
teach wrote:
Studies have shown that children who have been homeschooled have less behavior problems than the ones from public school
Melissa

Fort Myers, FL

#22 Apr 29, 2008
I have had my children in the Public School System before my husband and I decided to homeschool. Yes it is hard to homeschool however,I have to say reading the comments you all have to wake up. Society at a whole is on the down slope and parents now more then ever need to stand up for their beliefs and stop making excuses for not taking responsibility for their children's education. The testing they do in public school is for school funding... the no child left behind is a joke and the only people that benefit from this is the over paid and under qualified teachers. There are a handful of Great educators out there however, most of them are there to make a paycheck not educate our children. The socialization topic is ridiculous, more then 75% of the children in public schools I would not want my children to associate with anyway. Homeschool is on a rise do to the fact that school has turned into Sodom and Gomorrha. When it is more acceptable to hand out condoms then a Bible and it makes more sense to open a daycare inside our school faciilities for our childrens children then to teach abstanence and values and self worth and you all question why??? are you crazy???? The Problem isn't with the homeschool , the problem is with the society. We have become desensitized and what was not okay 20years ago is acceptable now... it is only getting worse and until people wake up and take action...nothing will change. Our society makes it to easy to raise juevenille delinquents... there is no consquences for actions anymore... Parents do not want to take responsibilities for there kids actions, Schools don't want to take responsibilities for the kids actions, the goverment doesn't want to take responsibilities for our kids actions... people need to stop pointing the fingers for whose at fault and take action. If they are upset with the ways their children are learning or not learning step up... I have now homeschooled my children for 3 years... I have heard many times, I don't know how you do it, I could never do that... My question to them is why? are you happy with your kids situation at school... you'll never guess how many people say... My child hates school they wish they could homeschool... ever asked them why?.... You would be amazed how stressed our children are, they have grown up drama happening every day in front of them... They are living out THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS right at school and trying to practice for tests all year long and being told ... don't stress about the test it only places you for the rest of your life no pressure there right.??? The majority of the children don't even have a concept of basic skills... How many times have you gone into a store.. the lights go out and they have to check you out... These kids have no idea how to count back change... My nine year old had to show the cashier how to count back our change after we had sat there for 45 minutes.... are you kidding me? why???? Please we should be saying why not!
janet

Cumming, GA

#23 Apr 14, 2009
As a person that excelled at being social throughout my public school education (i.e voted most humorous, and most artistic for both middle school and HS yearbooks, out of 500 kids), I can peg a home schooled child or adult within seconds of meeting them.

If someone can give me some examples of home schooled comedians I will be sold. Being able to make people laugh (not just your family) sits at the apex of socialization.

Location hidden

#24 Apr 14, 2009
janet wrote:
As a person that excelled at being social throughout my public school education (i.e voted most humorous, and most artistic for both middle school and HS yearbooks, out of 500 kids), I can peg a home schooled child or adult within seconds of meeting them.
If someone can give me some examples of home schooled comedians I will be sold. Being able to make people laugh (not just your family) sits at the apex of socialization.
you don't have to be a comedian to make people smile. homeschooled children know that they are loved (obviously, because someone is actually taking time to teach them.). so they don't have to FIND ways to get attention. i think maybe the reason for class clowns, is that they realized early on that they are probably gonna be bullied for who they REALLY are or they were just scared, so they found ways to take the heat off them. what's beneath the humor? would the "audience" really like them otherwise if they weren't funny? just like with some cheerleaders and jocks. a lot of times the person they REALLY are outside the points and popularity, isn't even worth knowing.
My child is homeschooled and p.s. kids love him, because he doesn't have an attitude, willing to share, and is very respectful. yes, the things he says sometimes make the children laugh-and it's not AT him either. he gets along with ANY child. that's just his outgoing nature. why does everyone think homeschooled children are just holed up in a wall somewhere with no access to the outside world? they have lives, too. they just don't have all the pressures of have to 'make a name' for himself, or get run over-as if he's a nobody because he doesn't just stand out physically. i'd rather him stand out because of his mentality. i went to public school and i was extremely shy, you would've thought i was homeschooled, but that's just who i am. it doesn't necessarily have to do with what type of schooling he is in.
Sailorwannab

Johnson City, NY

#25 Aug 3, 2009
There's no doubt that homeschooling can teach kids subject matter. What it can't teach is getting along with others - because there are no others! Half of education is book learnin', the other half is human relations. I feel sorry for homeschooled kids who never get to share with others or interact with a variety of other kids.
Melissa wrote:
I have had my children in the Public School System before my husband and I decided to homeschool. Yes it is hard to homeschool however,I have to say reading the comments you all have to wake up. Society at a whole is on the down slope and parents now more then ever need to stand up for their beliefs and stop making excuses for not taking responsibility for their children's education. The testing they do in public school is for school funding... the no child left behind is a joke and the only people that benefit from this is the over paid and under qualified teachers. There are a handful of Great educators out there however, most of them are there to make a paycheck not educate our children. The socialization topic is ridiculous, more then 75% of the children in public schools I would not want my children to associate with anyway. Homeschool is on a rise do to the fact that school has turned into Sodom and Gomorrha. When it is more acceptable to hand out condoms then a Bible and it makes more sense to open a daycare inside our school faciilities for our childrens children then to teach abstanence and values and self worth and you all question why??? are you crazy???? The Problem isn't with the homeschool , the problem is with the society. We have become desensitized and what was not okay 20years ago is acceptable now... it is only getting worse and until people wake up and take action...nothing will change. Our society makes it to easy to raise juevenille delinquents... there is no consquences for actions anymore... Parents do not want to take responsibilities for there kids actions, Schools don't want to take responsibilities for the kids actions, the goverment doesn't want to take responsibilities for our kids actions... people need to stop pointing the fingers for whose at fault and take action. If they are upset with the ways their children are learning or not learning step up... I have now homeschooled my children for 3 years... I have heard many times, I don't know how you do it, I could never do that... My question to them is why? are you happy with your kids situation at school... you'll never guess how many people say... My child hates school they wish they could homeschool... ever asked them why?.... You would be amazed how stressed our children are, they have grown up drama happening every day in front of them... They are living out THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS right at school and trying to practice for tests all year long and being told ... don't stress about the test it only places you for the rest of your life no pressure there right.??? The majority of the children don't even have a concept of basic skills... How many times have you gone into a store.. the lights go out and they have to check you out... These kids have no idea how to count back change... My nine year old had to show the cashier how to count back our change after we had sat there for 45 minutes.... are you kidding me? why???? Please we should be saying why not!

Location hidden

#26 Aug 5, 2009
Sailorwannab wrote:
There's no doubt that homeschooling can teach kids subject matter. What it can't teach is getting along with others - because there are no others! Half of education is book learnin', the other half is human relations. I feel sorry for homeschooled kids who never get to share with others or interact with a variety of other kids.
<quoted text>
education is not just book learning and human relations. how are children going to experience the world. if he can't be out in it? i wish i could've been homeschooled. i hated going to p.s. and being cooped up with annoying kids all day. children don't have to be around other children day in and day out to learn how to handle himself. people h.s. for different reasons, not just to keep their children from other children-that would be cruel.
Mary Lindsay

Taiwan

#27 Sep 9, 2009
I'm a homeschooled student, and I must say that parents would see this article as rather stupid, but I see it as quite true. Parents think that their kids have it so awesome when they're homeschooled and they get plenty of socialization, but I know that is not true unless you have your kids involved in lots of extra-curricular activities and play dates for younger children or hang out time with their friends for teenagers. Often times I feel very socially retarded and don't know how to relate to people because I'm homeschooled and I know other homeschooled students who feel the same way. i actually went through a lot of emotional problems because of this. Don't just trash the article because you don't see this happening. You may not know everything that your kid is going through.

“Got any leafworms?”

Since: Apr 07

Buckley

#28 Oct 9, 2009
Sailorwannab wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a rare thing to see a child who is homeschooled to be locked up in the home with no contact with the "outside" world. Many, if not most, children who are homeschooled participate in 4-H, Boy/Girl Scouts, Little League, Ballet, Homeschool sports teams, and just fool'n around with neighborhood kids. It's mostly a "wives-tail" that homeschooled kids do not have the opportunity to interact with other children.
Poison Ivy

Piedmont, OK

#29 Nov 4, 2009
ColdinMich
you must live in quite a large city to have homeschool sports teams.
Sailorwannab
you keep saying people should take action for the downfall of society. Do you think pulling out of society is the answer to taking action? If you really believe action needs to be taken, then you need to get the politics in the nation to go in the right direction.
I thought Mary Lindsay's post was important to read. Maybe homeschooling is just something the parents do to make them feel good about themselves. Personally, I don't see how you teach trigonometry and calculus.
desiree rowland

Blandinsville, IL

#30 Oct 8, 2010
I CANT THINK OF A SINGLE PERSON I KNOW THAT KNOWS ENOUGH ABOUT EVERTHING TO BE ABLE TO TEACH A CHILD EVERYTHING THEY WOULD LEARN FROM 20 DIFFERENT TEACHERS!i BELIEVE THAT THE BEST SCHOOLING FOR A CHILD IS TO LEARN AT SCHOOL AND HOME. iF YOU ARE INVOLVED IN YOU CHILD'S LIFE THEY WILL LEARN YOUR MORAL AND VAULES, AND LEARN MOST OF WHAT THEY NEED TO KNOW FROM A BOOK AT SCHOOL.

Location hidden

#31 Dec 14, 2010
desiree rowland wrote:
I CANT THINK OF A SINGLE PERSON I KNOW THAT KNOWS ENOUGH ABOUT EVERTHING TO BE ABLE TO TEACH A CHILD EVERYTHING THEY WOULD LEARN FROM 20 DIFFERENT TEACHERS!i BELIEVE THAT THE BEST SCHOOLING FOR A CHILD IS TO LEARN AT SCHOOL AND HOME. iF YOU ARE INVOLVED IN YOU CHILD'S LIFE THEY WILL LEARN YOUR MORAL AND VAULES, AND LEARN MOST OF WHAT THEY NEED TO KNOW FROM A BOOK AT SCHOOL.
we should learn from books AND life. there is a difference in being ''book smart'' and just plain common sense. that very same book can be at home too and you don't have to have a teacher to learn, hence, classes online.
ann fletcher

Sheffield, AL

#32 Jun 29, 2011
I have mixed feelings about home schooling. There are things I hated about the public school. I hated that my Son was always way above average but never did well until his highschool years. I hated the clicks that are always involved in public shooling. Having said that, my Son turned out to be a very devoted Christain and is now a youth Minister and making straight A's in graduate school. Mind you my kids were not perfect but they never caused us the headaches many of our friends went through.

Both of my daughters married Christain men, one of whom is also a youth minister. Both my son and Son-in-law say they will never home school their children because of the home schoolers in their youth groups and their parents.

My sister home schooled her two daughters. One of whom is doing very well, married with twin boys although she went through wild years at about 19 and 20. The other one is now 22 and has absolutely no drive in life is sleeping with her boyfriend and strikes me as a lost ship...just observations on my part.
[email protected] ail.com

Mobile, AL

#33 Jan 28, 2013
LOL This made me chuckle. While it's true that homeschooling can sometimes be a pain, I've got two perfectly healthy, intelligent, well adjusted children who can attest to the fact that it does work. It's just like anything else in life. You have to work at it. Nobody is going to give you your education. You've got to earn it. The same is true whether you choose homeschool, public school, private school, etc. It amuses me how easily folks can judge that which they don't understand. All things like this go to show me is that some people don't know what the hell they're talking about. You would do well to read up on something before you go and open your mouth about it. Otherwise you end up looking like you're talking outta your ass.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Home Schooling Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News WNC sees unease over corporal punishment (Apr '08) Aug 7 L O S T L A N G U... 202
News El Paso parents win Supreme Court battle; home-... Jun '16 Ivana Dong 8
News Texas Supreme Court sidesteps key home schoolin... Jun '16 Paddling has its ... 2
News children-with-disabilities-.jpg Jun '16 Phil 3
News Bid to reopen fire-hit Glasgow school Jun '16 Phil Fondles Findle 2
News Editorial: Exercising choice Jun '16 Mataro MOn 1
News Eskasoni woman's message to body-shaming bullie... May '16 Malta Manresa 1
More from around the web