The Downside to Homeschooling

The Downside to Homeschooling

There are 33 comments on the Associated Content story from Dec 28, 2006, titled The Downside to Homeschooling. In it, Associated Content reports that:

To every opinion, there is an opposite side. While some see homeschooling as a definite plus to teaching children, many things about it can also keep back a child in various ways.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Associated Content.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 06

Metro Atlanta

#1 Jan 4, 2007
I could find no evidence that this person had any first hand knowledge of homeschooling and therefore could not take this article seriously.
Hardy

Kerens, WV

#2 Jan 17, 2007
ahermitt wrote:
I could find no evidence that this person had any first hand knowledge of homeschooling and therefore could not take this article seriously.
Apperantly she is a college student. Probably something she did for class.
kat

Washington, DC

#3 Jan 28, 2007
This made me laugh!
Dances and a graduation ceremony? Who remembers high school dances being a big deal? Not me.

Of course they have to throw in the old socialization bit. Like we lock our kids in thei closet all day and don't let them out except to do school. My kids have 4 siblings to play with all day after they finish their lessons, not to mention all the social clubs and sports they are involved with.
This was a silly article.
teach

Regina, Canada

#4 Jan 28, 2007
Studies have shown that children who have been homeschooled have less behavior problems than the ones from public school
Ice Tea

United States

#5 Mar 15, 2007
I thought the article was a good read and I appreciate what the author was trying to convey.
Homeschooling is not for every student. I don't believe I could have taught my children everything they learned at school. Socialization is an important aspect of growing up and I believe that public school does provide socialization. Children need to be exposed to other adults value systems. Good teachers can influence students and make impressions on them that last a lifetime. Do you want your children to have tunnel vision and believe only what you believe?
What studies have shown that homeschooled have less behavior problems? Do those studies follow the students for 10 years--20 years? Or just less behavior problems this year?
Why has homeschooling become so popular? Is it the lack of good teachers and education? Is it for parents personal social reasons? I would like to know why homeschooling has become so popular?
Karen

Cheshire, CT

#6 Mar 16, 2007
What bothers me about this article, as well as others like it, is the socialization myth. Socialization and socializing are NOT the same thing.

“""""Hi Everyone!''""”

Since: Mar 07

California

#7 Mar 20, 2007
Ice Tea wrote:
I thought the article was a good read and I appreciate what the author was trying to convey.
Homeschooling is not for every student. I don't believe I could have taught my children everything they learned at school. Socialization is an important aspect of growing up and I believe that public school does provide socialization. Children need to be exposed to other adults value systems. Good teachers can influence students and make impressions on them that last a lifetime. Do you want your children to have tunnel vision and believe only what you believe?
What studies have shown that homeschooled have less behavior problems? Do those studies follow the students for 10 years--20 years? Or just less behavior problems this year?
Why has homeschooling become so popular? Is it the lack of good teachers and education? Is it for parents personal social reasons? I would like to know why homeschooling has become so popular?
Girl/Boy friend im witcha!

“Got any leafworms?”

Since: Apr 07

Buckley

#8 Apr 18, 2007
Ice Tea wrote:
I can't quote studies to you, however I do know some of the main reasons homeschooling has become popular. One of the top reasons is "socialization". The "anti-authority" & "be their friend not their parent"-"don't ever spank your child" mentality of parenting promoted since the 1960's is causing havoc in our schools. Many parents don't want their children getting the type of socialization that they are now getting in schools. In most states, school officials can no longer spank students, even with permission from the parents. Many parents take the side of the child when they get into trouble at school. Another reason is the sterilization of acknowledging God in the schools. Schools recognize Holloween but schedule "Spring Break" separate from Good Friday and Easter so as not to recognize a Christian holiday. The Dali-Lama will be quoted during the morning announcements, but a principal can lose his/her get sued if they mention Jesus Christ. Schools have become antagonistic toward Christianity, mocking Intelligent Design, stripping the history books of references to the Christian heritage of our country at the same time as telling the kids that "alternative lifestyles" are O.K. against their parents wishes. I could go on, but those are 2 of many reasons homeschooling has become so popular.

“Got any leafworms?”

Buckley

#9 Apr 18, 2007
The old mantra of "they won't get socialization" is a boring subject. Our kids participate in Girl's Softball at the park, Little League, ballet lessons, Homeschool recreation activities, plays, volunteer for Special Olympics and Kiwanis fundraisers, Student Government training (Student Statemenship Institute), and other activities. If they socialize any more they won't get any studying done.
mememememememe

Leicester, UK

#10 Apr 29, 2007
I think that homeschooling is bad because your child has serious social deficiancies.

“Got any leafworms?”

Buckley

#11 Apr 29, 2007
mememememememe wrote:
I think that homeschooling is bad because your child has serious social deficiancies.
As in going to college, having lots of friends, playing in the symphony, and playing inter-collegiate baseball? Any more socialization and they won't have time to study and pass their classes.
Iced Tea

United States

#12 May 31, 2007
Going to college is not home schooling. Socializing is part of the socialization process but having friends and playing sports doesn't really deal with what is expected behavior wise of a person in institutions, such as school. Yes, I know that parents don't want someone else to paddle their child, that is why the corporal punishment form is filled out every year. That was a parent issue not a school issue. Some of the other issues you state must be particular to your school. The local school here is not like that.

“Got any leafworms?”

Buckley

#13 May 31, 2007
Iced Tea wrote:
Going to college is not home schooling. Socializing is part of the socialization process but having friends and playing sports doesn't really deal with what is expected behavior wise of a person in institutions, such as school. Yes, I know that parents don't want someone else to paddle their child, that is why the corporal punishment form is filled out every year. That was a parent issue not a school issue. Some of the other issues you state must be particular to your school. The local school here is not like that.
Two of our 3 are already adults and on their way in life. All is well even though they were homeschooled and didn't get what the modern psychobablists call "socailization". Touche for the NEA!
Iced Tea

United States

#14 May 31, 2007
School is an institution just like church and government. Lets see, society has already broke down the church, they are breaking down the school, then if they break down the government...I hope you like marshal law.

“Where did it run off too?”

Since: Aug 07

Eubank

#15 Aug 30, 2007
The kind of socialization they get in public school isn't really the kind that most of them need in the first place. Most homeschool kids are gentler and actually behave themselves and get along at home and out in public better then public school kids do, and I am not sure what causes that. I have just seen it. I have to say I think home school has its ups and downs, but overall I believe it is better then public school.
opi

United States

#16 Sep 3, 2007
Well, the kids may be gentler and behave themselves better, but what about when they are out in the world with the "dog eat dog" type of co-workers. Are the kids who have never been exposed to the unfairness in jobs, clubs, civic organization, etc going to fair well? I would think it would be better to learn about the rest of the world, their values and such while growing up and I believe they are exposed to this in public school.

“Where did it run off too?”

Since: Aug 07

Eubank

#17 Sep 6, 2007
opi wrote:
Well, the kids may be gentler and behave themselves better, but what about when they are out in the world with the "dog eat dog" type of co-workers. Are the kids who have never been exposed to the unfairness in jobs, clubs, civic organization, etc going to fair well? I would think it would be better to learn about the rest of the world, their values and such while growing up and I believe they are exposed to this in public school.
We fuss and fuss about a child's self esteem. I think that being forced into bad situations is very different then dealing with those in the real world. We all know that there are some idiots out in the world unfortunately, but if this is an example of why you believe in public school just look at all the people on disability in this world right now because they have had to deal with or can't hardly deal with the idiots in the world. Most of them have went through public school, so we are now talking about a fourth or a half of our country that are disabled by products of the public school systems. Some people do learn how to deal with idiots in the world and that is not dependent on what kind of a school they go too. We all eventually grow up and realize that we have to deal with the idiots in our world if we really want to or not, I suppose.
free

Debary, FL

#18 Sep 18, 2007
Don’t knock it until you have tried it.
It is not for everyone, it takes time and dedication.
You have to like your kids and like hanging out with them.
How much did you learn and remember in school?
How much have you learned since you graduated?
I would bet that the stuff you learned after graduation, the things you learned because you wanted to learn them those things stuck with you.

We cover the basics reading, writing, math, science, social studies. However we do it in half the time it takes for PS we don’t have class changes or distractions we don’t have to pass out papers or collect them. The rest of the time is interest driven learning.
Social
Co op classes
Band Practice
Field trips with home school groups.
Days at the park
Music classes
My house has a revolving door on weekends

Some participate in
Dance classes
Drama classes
Sports
Church Youth groups
Someone

Englewood, CO

#19 Sep 24, 2007
free wrote:
Don’t knock it until you have tried it.
It is not for everyone, it takes time and dedication.
You have to like your kids and like hanging out with them.
How much did you learn and remember in school?
How much have you learned since you graduated?
I would bet that the stuff you learned after graduation, the things you learned because you wanted to learn them those things stuck with you.
We cover the basics reading, writing, math, science, social studies. However we do it in half the time it takes for PS we don’t have class changes or distractions we don’t have to pass out papers or collect them. The rest of the time is interest driven learning.
Social
Co op classes
Band Practice
Field trips with home school groups.
Days at the park
Music classes
My house has a revolving door on weekends
Some participate in
Dance classes
Drama classes
Sports
Church Youth groups
If I had as many brains as you, that's what I would have said. I agree all the way.

“Got any leafworms?”

Buckley

#20 Sep 25, 2007
opi wrote:
If you have been involved with Little League baseball or ballet studios, you will know that the kids get exposed to plenty of "dog eat dog" experiences and unfairness of "the real world". Home-schooled children are sheltered as much or as little as their parents desire. In addition, it will not harm children to be a little older and more mature when exposed to the "rest of the world". They will learn and adapt to the world if prepared by their parents at home.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Home Schooling Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News WNC sees unease over corporal punishment (Apr '08) Jan 7 Keith RetardGunB... 227
News Simonmonenew2cmyk2 162x162 Dec 31 Wild Nubile Cuties 2
News Mosque opens doors to school kids Dec 20 Pupil Harem Is Lurid 18
News Home-schooling parents can still recover costs ... Dec '16 Home-Schooled in ... 8
News Home schooling association keeping quiet since ... Dec '16 Peeer Hove Is Limp 2
News How should we teach autistic kids? Nov '16 cut frenulum need... 4
News School of Fear Nov '16 Party Hard In Lin... 1
More from around the web