Ramnath Subramanian: For now, our edu...

Ramnath Subramanian: For now, our education system mired in mediocrity

There are 10 comments on the El Paso Times story from Apr 13, 2011, titled Ramnath Subramanian: For now, our education system mired in mediocrity. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

I have been a harsh critic of our education establishment for many years. I could not be otherwise, having had first-hand knowledge of the data-driven, test-focused mediocrity that often parades as education.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

Rick Talamantes

Austin, TX

#1 Apr 14, 2011
Your critics are cacophonous taxpayers and I appreciate your columuns. You are correct in that you have been a critic of local education but you have also offered solutions. Discipline (there is no student discipline)and the "test" (the teaching to pass the test) are the two greatest problems in our schools. Good luck with your free classes on Saturday!
Ese

El Paso, TX

#2 Apr 14, 2011
God bless you Mr. Sub.
Free Market Skeptic

El Paso, TX

#3 Apr 14, 2011
The Free Market is your solution. Your vocabulary accumen betrays your intelligence.
The Free market model has failed the United States in:

Panic of 1893- Government steps in institutes Gold Standard

1929 The Great Depression- Goverment intervention with FDR'S New Deal

1987 Black Monday- Government intervenes to regulate Saving & Loan mess.

2008 US Bank Crisis- Goverment bails out the banking industry at the cost of billons of tax payer dollars.

Does anyone notice a pattern here?
Mr. Sub needs to go back to his chalk board, keep your free market model out of education.
Say what

El Paso, TX

#4 Apr 14, 2011
Free Market Skeptic wrote:
The Free Market is your solution. Your vocabulary accumen betrays your intelligence.
The Free market model has failed the United States in:
Panic of 1893- Government steps in institutes Gold Standard
1929 The Great Depression- Goverment intervention with FDR'S New Deal
1987 Black Monday- Government intervenes to regulate Saving & Loan mess.
2008 US Bank Crisis- Goverment bails out the banking industry at the cost of billons of tax payer dollars.
Does anyone notice a pattern here?
Mr. Sub needs to go back to his chalk board, keep your free market model out of education.
Yes. Government. We're drowning in debt nationally, statewide, and locally. Apparently you think government should be in the forefront of improvement. I say the opposite. If government intervention is minimal, societal and economic facets of society will improve. I'd rather that a child be sent to a school that is exceptional than acceptable, don't you?
David Brooks

El Paso, TX

#5 Apr 15, 2011
The gifts he was most grateful for had been passed along to him by teachers and parents inadvertently, whereas his official education was mostly forgotten or useless.(1/17/2011,New Yorker: "Social Animal", David Brooks)
teacher pay

Laurel, MD

#6 Apr 15, 2011
Teachers don't need to be paid more. That is a tired argument. Check out the excellent kindle book on teacher retention and reducing teacher turnover. It proves that paying teachers more does not keep them in the classroom.
Coach

El Paso, TX

#7 Apr 15, 2011
"Teachers don't need to be paid more. That is a tired argument. Check out the excellent kindle book on teacher retention and reducing teacher turnover. It proves that paying teachers more does not keep them in the classroom."
That might be true that more pay does not lead to improved retention rates but it sure helps considering all the education and training a teacher goes through in their lifetime. You are paid a $1000 dollars more-one time- when you get your Masters. Teachers are not paid according to their talents nor level of education and accomplishments. Why go through 4 years of training and another two years plus at least 150 hours of additional training and certification to make less then 45,000 dollars a year? You pay for what you get.
teacher pay

Laurel, MD

#8 Apr 15, 2011
Starting pay in excess of 40K is a great deal. You're off by 4:00, summers off, Christmas off, spring break off, Thanksgiving week off, and just about every holiday in between plus 5 local days and 5 state days. Those teachers that complain they stay up all night grading papers are just so disorganized they don't use their planning period or lunch time to do it. Instead they sit in the teachers lounge and complain. Those that complain they have to be there all summer for workshops are there by choice. More importantly, exactly what jobs could a history or english or whatever major get that pays that much outside of education? Math and science teachers can make that argument, but nobody else can.
Zorro

El Paso, TX

#9 Apr 17, 2011
teacher pay wrote:
Starting pay in excess of 40K is a great deal. You're off by 4:00, summers off, Christmas off, spring break off, Thanksgiving week off, and just about every holiday in between plus 5 local days and 5 state days. Those teachers that complain they stay up all night grading papers are just so disorganized they don't use their planning period or lunch time to do it. Instead they sit in the teachers lounge and complain. Those that complain they have to be there all summer for workshops are there by choice. More importantly, exactly what jobs could a history or english or whatever major get that pays that much outside of education? Math and science teachers can make that argument, but nobody else can.
Dear cowardly critics of teachers, please do us all a favor: get your teaching credentials and become teachers yourselves. You won't last one week.
whiny teachers

Laurel, MD

#10 Apr 17, 2011
I'll say it again, show me a job with those benefits. Up until about 1995 you could make the argument that teachers weren't paid enough. But it's not true anymore. The public is calling your bluff. I say vote no on every attempt to increase teacher pay. They get paid more than enough for the little work they do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Home Schooling Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rose City teachers who supported colleague in s... (Sep '13) Feb 21 LineDazzle 4
News Families fight change Feb 6 Cfnm 2
News Fight for Better Education Instead of Blasting ... Jan 28 Punk Horrid In Lo... 1
News School choice leaders, governor to gather at Ca... Jan 28 Punk Horrid In Lo... 1
News WNC sees unease over corporal punishment (Apr '08) Jan '17 Cover For Nervy M... 228
News World Exclusive Jan '17 donald J W Trump 1
News My son, 8, with special needs, has been failed ... Jan '17 donald J W Trump 1
More from around the web