How can kids socialize if they are home schooled?

Aug 31, 2010 Full story: Examiner.com 8

I would like to home school my twin sons, but I have one huge concerna 'socialization. How will my little boys learn to socialize with other children when they go to school at home? Wannbe a Home school Mom Dear Wannbe, Ia TMm the product of public education.

Full Story
Judy

Warfordsburg, PA

#1 Aug 31, 2010
I think you will find that there are many opportunities of great variety for you to provide your sons with social interaction with others outside the home study program.
Whether you join a co-op or homeschooling support group in your area (where families get together for classes and field trips on a regular basis) or you simply seek out social engagements and extra curricular activities yourself, as you become accustomed to the homeschooling lifestyle, you will soon see that "socializing" is one of its greatest blessings! In fact, you might even find you enjoy it more that what you experienced in the public school systems, because, as a homeschooling mother, you can be very proactive in carefully discerning and choosing just what activities, events, parties, and social service projects your boys participate in. Truly, the sky is the limit when it comes to available opportunities in this area for homeschoolers!
Check out our website for continued homeschooling support and encouragement:
http://www.thebestofhomeschoolfaithandfamilyl...

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#2 Jan 31, 2013
I prefer to look at it like this: I socialize my dogs. I educate my kids. I understand what you're saying, though. The best way I know to keep your kid(s) socially active is to simply get them out of the house. Go play at the park or join a group of some sort. Sign them up for story time at the library. Get them active in something they will enjoy. It's really a lot easier than it seems.

Location hidden

#3 Feb 1, 2013
Today's kids only socialize through the Internet. Parents don't trust their kids with anyone today.
And socializing at school only leads to the introduction of drugs and other bad habits.

Location hidden

#4 Feb 1, 2013
Zuiko wrote:
Today's kids only socialize through the Internet. Parents don't trust their kids with anyone today.
And socializing at school only leads to the introduction of drugs and other bad habits.
In most cases, yes. You are so right. I think we need to take more responsibility for our kids as parents. That includes providing them with a safe learning environment. These days we seem to have fallen asleep on the job.
Katie Mellish

UK

#5 Feb 1, 2013
Children are children they are more socialable than what adults are.Children make friends with each other very easyly,children do not take long to become friends with each other in their own neighbourhood children are very friendly towards each other.Friendship comes natural to children they will soon make friends with other children.So please do not worry about it children will be children so let them be children.PS good luck with your home schooling.
Katie Mellish

UK

#6 Feb 1, 2013
PS in another two years i will start to home school my oldest son so i wish all home schoolers the very best good luck-Katie Mellish xx.
coyote

Halifax, Canada

#7 Feb 1, 2013
KM: U R fortunate in that the impeccable, well educated, worldly Sir Art is a friend and could be called upon for tutorials in ANY subject you may feel extra help is needed. Indeed an advantage and I understand his (like you) extremely gifted with athletic prowess...... good fortune....
Katie Mellish

UK

#8 Feb 1, 2013
coyote wrote:
KM: U R fortunate in that the impeccable, well educated, worldly Sir Art is a friend and could be called upon for tutorials in ANY subject you may feel extra help is needed. Indeed an advantage and I understand his (like you) extremely gifted with athletic prowess...... good fortune....
To Coyote hello iam in the educational world known as a triple A.er-AAA.Iam academic,artistic and athletic my children a light years in front of other children at their school in every subject going.My boys are semi fluent in two languages.Coyote i will keep that in mind about calling on Sir Arthur for tutorials he might be able to help other people on this forum with their home education.Katie Mellish xxxxxx.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Home Schooling Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sandy Hook commission calls for tighter regulat... Oct '14 Phillip Maltese 5
Home-schooling parents relieved over passage of... (Mar '14) Sep '14 Brenda Stiles 2
Dance Moms star Maddie Ziegler says her 40-hour... Aug '14 dmw 4
Common Core Math Video Series Jul '14 Sinclair 1
Common Core foe emerges to challenge Democrat B... (Jun '14) Jun '14 reality is a crutch 1
Finding freedom: Family moves to Morristown to ... (Dec '08) Jun '14 MaltaMon 16
Mother who tortured adopted daughter for 20 yea... (May '14) May '14 MaltaMon 1
More from around the web