Accused teacher goes before judge in Clifton Park

Full story: Times Union 23
Christopher Culver, the elementary school teacher accused of sexually abusing six of his first-grade students, appeared in town court again today on the felony charges against him. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Wait til next year”

Since: Dec 06

Brooklyn NY USA

#1 Mar 17, 2007
Sooner or later, we have to wake up and deal with this massive epidemic of sexual predator public school teachers.
n New York City alone, at least one child is sexually abused by a school employee every day. One study concluded that more than 60 percent of employees accused of sexual abuse in the New York City schools were transferred to desk jobs at district offices located inside the schools. Most of these teachers are tenured and 40 percent of those transferred are repeat offenders. They call it “passing the garbage” in the schools. One reason why this exists is due to efforts by the United Federation of Teachers to protect teachers at the expense of children. Another is the fact that teachers accused of sexual misconduct cannot be fired under New York State law.

One of the nation’s foremost authorities on the subject of the sexual abuse of minors in public schools is Hofstra University professor Charol Shakeshaft. In 1994, Shakeshaft and Audrey Cohan did a study of 225 cases of educator sexual abuse in New York City. Their findings are astounding.

All of the accused admitted sexual abuse of a student, but none of the abusers was reported to the authorities, and only 1 percent lost their license to teach. Only 35 percent suffered negative consequences of any kind, and 39 percent chose to leave their school district, most with positive recommendations. Some were even given an early retirement package.

Moving molesting teachers from school district to school district is a common phenomenon. And in only 1 percent of the cases do superintendents notify the new school district. According to Diana Jean Schemo, the term “passing the trash” is the preferred jargon among educators.

Shakeshaft has also determined that 15 percent of all students have experienced some kind of sexual misconduct by a teacher between kindergarten and 12th grade; the behaviors range from touching to forced penetration. She and Cohan also found that up to 5 percent of teachers sexually abuse children. Shakeshaft will soon be ready to release the findings of a vast study undertaken for the Planning and Evaluation Service Office of the Undersecretary, U.S. Department of Education, titled,“Educator Sexual Misconduct with Students: A Synthesis of Existing Literature on Prevalence in Connection with the Design of a National Analysis.”
amanda

Flushing, NY

#2 May 30, 2007
Chris Culver is an inoccent man. I worked with chris for many years at a church camp in lake george. He is a man of honor. There is no way that this man could commit this crime.

“Wait til next year”

Brooklyn NY USA

#3 May 31, 2007
I hope you're right.
Regardles of your friend's guilt or innocence (and I really do hope he is innocent), we need to, as a society, do something about this epidemic or sexual predator teachers.
Michelle

United States

#4 Jun 11, 2007
Whether Mr. Culver is guilty of this crime, it seems to me that the obvious problem is not being addressed here...why are males being allowed to teach children under 18? The vast majority of sexual predators are men and there's no way that I would allow my child to be in a class with a male teacher. When children are tought about "stranger danger", they are taught to go tell another adult that someone is bothering them, and are told to find a woman rather than a man.

Why is it so politically incorrect to say that parents should never entrust the care of their small children to men? It's simply the reality.

“Wait til next year”

Brooklyn NY USA

#5 Jun 11, 2007
Joseph Tyson wrote:
I hope you're right.
Regardles of your friend's guilt or innocence (and I really do hope he is innocent), we need to, as a society, do something about this epidemic or sexual predator teachers.
Taking teachers to task is not as satisfying, evidently as going after priests. There is less money on the table and secularists like the left wing teaching establishment.
In a story not widely publicized in the mainstream press, the New York Post published a story in its July 30, 2001 edition about the secret epidemic of homosexual child abuse cases that go unreported in New York City’s public schools.

The report,“Secret Shame Of Our Schools: Sexual Abuse Of Students Runs Rampant,” by Douglas Montero, is the result of an analysis of 117 cases of sexual abuse between January 1999 and June 2001. Sixty percent of those accused of sexual abuse were transferred to desk jobs inside the school district. Forty percent of those transferred suspects were repeat sex offenders.

The report noted that out of the 117 cases, 212 children were victims. In 45% of the cases, the sex offender attacked more than one student. In nearly 16% of the cases, school officials delayed or tried to cover up the sexual molestations. The average victim is a 15-year-old girl and 75% of the victims were girls. According to the report,“Nearly 20 percent of the offenders are homosexuals and in most of these cases, the attack led to a sexual relationship with the stu- dent.” The report also discovered that the Board of Education investigated another 347 substantiated sex abuse cases between January 2000 and July 20, 2001. Adding the 117 cases with the 327, it appears that at least one child is sexually abused each day by a school employee—and 20% of these molestations against children are done by homosexuals!
sick of trash

Gloversville, NY

#9 Jul 1, 2007
Michelle wrote:
Whether Mr. Culver is guilty of this crime, it seems to me that the obvious problem is not being addressed here...why are males being allowed to teach children under 18? The vast majority of sexual predators are men and there's no way that I would allow my child to be in a class with a male teacher. When children are tought about "stranger danger", they are taught to go tell another adult that someone is bothering them, and are told to find a woman rather than a man.
Why is it so politically incorrect to say that parents should never entrust the care of their small children to men? It's simply the reality.
yuppie moron who lives in a bubble. That's the "Parkies" for you..........the ever so,'we live so elegant' crowd that is as pretentious as they've ever been
A Teacher Too

Troy, NY

#10 Sep 28, 2007
Chris Culver admitted hurting these boys-- geez, that doesn't sound like innocence. There's bad apples in every profession that try to ruin the bunch.
VoiceOfCP

AOL

#11 Oct 19, 2007
My home is far from elegant, you moron!

It's a 34 year old Colonial. Just replaced the roof.

The "elegant" crowd is on the minority here.
ThePedophiles Unleashed

Delmar, NY

#12 Oct 20, 2007
What about this? What they are putting upon the BOYscouts The city of Philadelphia has decided to punish the Boy Scouts of America because it will not allow homosexuals to serve as Scout Leaders. City officials said they will charge the Cradle of Liberty Scouts Council $200,000 a year to use the city-owned headquarters. The Council was paying $1 per year (since 1928). The city owns the land on which the Council's 1928 Beaux Arts building sits.
The city says it is charging the scouts $200,000 a year because the scouts discriminate against homosexuals. But the city finds nothing wrong with their discrimination against the scouts because of the scouts' belief.
The action by city officials means that 30 new Cub Scout packs won't be organized, and that 800 needy kids will not be going to the Council's summer camp if the city charges them $200,000.
The Supreme Court ruled in 2000 that the scouts, as a private group, have a First Amendment right to bar homosexuals from membership. Philadelphia officials, in an effort to appease the homosexual activists, began searching for a way to punish the scouts. The rent increase was the vehicle to do that.
The Cradle of Liberty Council serves about 64,000 scouts in Philadelphia and its suburbs.
VoiceOfCP

AOL

#13 Oct 21, 2007
I fail to see what your post has to do with the original topic.
Besides, this is a CP forum. Go post that in the Philadelphia forum.

“9/11 was Bush's masterplan”

Since: Oct 07

Cohoes, NY

#15 Oct 24, 2007
Clifton Park is full of pretentious jerkoffs and I have lived and worked in this area for over 15 years, so I can attest.
Male Teacher in Family

Albany, NY

#16 Nov 26, 2007
What an incredibly ignorant thing to say, "Male teachers should not teach children under 18", why the hell not? Is your husband, if you have one, a pedophile? Is your brother, your father, your uncle? A person's gender does not make them a pedophile, you knucklehead.
I think the larger issue is sexual offenders, who are often repeat offenders, that are protected by our laws from loosing their jobs at the expense of the safety of our children.

“Wait til next year”

Brooklyn NY USA

#17 Nov 26, 2007
Male Teacher in Family wrote:
What an incredibly ignorant thing to say, "Male teachers should not teach children under 18", why the hell not? Is your husband, if you have one, a pedophile? Is your brother, your father, your uncle? A person's gender does not make them a pedophile, you knucklehead.
I think the larger issue is sexual offenders, who are often repeat offenders, that are protected by our laws from loosing their jobs at the expense of the safety of our children.
It isn't the law that protects them - it is the union.
Steve

Springfield, IL

#18 Jan 24, 2008
sick of trash wrote:
<quoted text>
yuppie moron who lives in a bubble. That's the "Parkies" for you..........the ever so,'we live so elegant' crowd that is as pretentious as they've ever been
It is ridiculous to think that male teachers are the only ones who abuse students. There are many female teachers that abuse students, also.
Remember the female teacher than fell in love with a second grader and had sex with him when he reached puberty.

The only difference is that men are punished much more severely than women. It is a double standard! Also, kids are wise today, and they know that if the teacher does something they don't like they can get them fired by accusing them of touching them inappropriately. Kids see this all the time in our society and they use it to their advantage.
Clete

Johnstown, NY

#19 Feb 27, 2009
Michelle wrote:
Your just a man hater. I suppose children shouldn't be allowed around there fathers untill they are 18 as well.
Clete

Johnstown, NY

#20 Feb 27, 2009
Destroy Conservatives wrote:
Clifton Park is full of pretentious jerkoffs and I have lived and worked in this area for over 15 years, so I can attest.
Yeah love the your posting name. Shows your a real thinker. class warfare at its best. Oh yeah, I see you at the travel soccer games praying that your kids beat Evil Clifton Park. I guess you should have stayed in school huh.
Clete

Johnstown, NY

#21 Feb 27, 2009
amanda wrote:
Chris Culver is an inoccent man. I worked with chris for many years at a church camp in lake george. He is a man of honor. There is no way that this man could commit this crime.
Culver did it. When I met him I thought he was gay. Not that there is anything wrong with that... I was at the sentencing, and I know that he did it. I am a parent of one of the boys. You think you know somebody but fella, you don't. He admitted it to his wife. She fliped on him and sided with the families. Some of the boys are still having issues, like bed wetting, anger issues, being held back in school. on and on it goes. the principal and the superintendent did nothing when complaints were made. They suck.
Clete

Johnstown, NY

#22 Feb 27, 2009
Male Teacher in Family wrote:
You know mabey they are. I'm just sayin.
Lee

Las Vegas, NV

#23 Oct 15, 2009
Thank you feminists. We now live in a man-hating culture. You have your way, stupid women, so any smart man will avoid being a teacher. Now the schools are complaining that there aren't enough math and science teachers. What do you expect when drive all the men away? Stupid bitches, you have ruined America.
Karl

Las Vegas, NV

#24 Oct 15, 2009
I agree with the gist of Lee's comments, although not with his tone. I was watchiing over his shoulder as he typed in his comments after having a beer. Now he is letting me on the computer to respond. OK Lee so women have ruined America, fair enough. No one disputes that. But instead of abandoning our boys in despair to the feminists, we should figure out a way to rescue them. That's what I am working on, not beer-induced rants.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
STARNES: Tennessee school's Nation of Islam han... 2 hr Atomic 64
Panther Valley approves tax increases (Jun '08) 5 hr Pondish 64
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 8 hr havent forgotten 131,904
ACLU lawsuit: Ferguson school board excludes bl... 11 hr Marcus Welby 6
Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) 15 hr Hacker 618
Catholic board trustees want report on possible... 19 hr WiFi 1
Officials help break ground for new $51 million... 21 hr the taxpayers 2
More from around the web