Brocton hears request for tuition stu...

Brocton hears request for tuition students

There are 50 comments on the Observer story from Sep 2, 2012, titled Brocton hears request for tuition students. In it, Observer reports that:

Brocton Central School has had a no-tuition policy for quite some time. A concerned parent questioned if this policy could be amended.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Observer.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jul 12

Horseheads, NY

#1 Sep 3, 2012
If they really wanted their children to go to Brocton why wouldn't they have built their house in the Brocton School district.
Lori

Buffalo, NY

#2 Sep 3, 2012
getalife000 wrote:
If they really wanted their children to go to Brocton why wouldn't they have built their house in the Brocton School district.
I thought Brocton didn't want anything to do with Fredonia?
aahh

Fredonia, NY

#3 Sep 3, 2012
So send your kid to a under preforming school with little or no electives, a school that is also on the verge of being bankrupt!
What

Horseheads, NY

#4 Sep 3, 2012
Im confused... what does this have anything to do with Fredonia Lori, its about a Teacher that teaches in Brocton that wants to pay tuition for her child to go to Brocton, it has nothing to do with Fredonia other then she lives in Fredonia...
Lori

Buffalo, NY

#5 Sep 3, 2012
What wrote:
Im confused... what does this have anything to do with Fredonia Lori, its about a Teacher that teaches in Brocton that wants to pay tuition for her child to go to Brocton, it has nothing to do with Fredonia other then she lives in Fredonia...
Wants to pay tuition? Sounds like she wants to send her kid to a school who wants nothing to do with Fredonia kids, and not pay tuition.
mogo

Baltimore, MD

#6 Sep 6, 2012
Well, accept for the fact that she and her husband explicitly stated that they wanted their daughter to attend the school as a tuition student.
Sweetie

Dunkirk, NY

#7 Sep 6, 2012
What is the difference between the elementary schools?
philly j

Buffalo, NY

#8 Sep 8, 2012
i should have send my kids to brocton,rather then fredonia.the school is a mess.
Westfield

Dunkirk, NY

#9 Sep 9, 2012
Why tuition, after the merger all brocton students will be going to Westfield anyways.
yea

Fredonia, NY

#10 Sep 9, 2012
send your kids to Brocton as tuition students--Hahahahahahahahahaha hahahahaha. My kids go to Dunkirk, and as bad as the Dunkirk schools are, they are far better than Brocton. There is nothing there at the Brocton school, the curriculum is greatly down sized as well as sports!
huh

United States

#11 Sep 11, 2012
never heard of a school not having a tuition payment if a child wanted to attend a school. Maybe thats why they are bankrupt.
FHS

Horseheads, NY

#12 Sep 11, 2012
FREDONIA eliminated tuition students at least 3 yrs ago.maybe thats why fredonia can't fill their school. WHEN I was in school fredonia classes were around 170 to 200 per class. Fredonia should have kept the tuition kids. Maybe enrollment wouldn't be down AND they could actually fill that huge school to its capacity.
justsaying

Youngstown, NY

#13 Sep 11, 2012
The woman teaches at Brocton. It is understandable why the parents would want the child to go to Brocton. MOST school districts allow the children of faculty to attend the school district if the parent (s) work there. (some for free, some with tuition) It makes holiday breaks, before/after school child care much easier, etc...I highly doubt it is the parents thinking one school is better then the other. This appears to be an elementary level child. Don't see what the issue should be.
wellnow

Fredonia, NY

#14 Sep 11, 2012
FHS wrote:
FREDONIA eliminated tuition students at least 3 yrs ago.maybe thats why fredonia can't fill their school. WHEN I was in school fredonia classes were around 170 to 200 per class. Fredonia should have kept the tuition kids. Maybe enrollment wouldn't be down AND they could actually fill that huge school to its capacity.
Wrong get your info straight first, tuition was not eliminated at Fredonia, it is alive and going strong, all tuition spots are filled up, Fredonia had to turn away tuition students, because all available slots were full
FHS

Horseheads, NY

#15 Sep 12, 2012
wellnow wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong get your info straight first, tuition was not eliminated at Fredonia, it is alive and going strong, all tuition spots are filled up, Fredonia had to turn away tuition students, because all available slots were full
IT was eliminated 3 or 4 yrs ago and it had nothing to do with filled up slots it was a big game. I DID not realize they brought it back.
MikeC

Dublin, Ireland

#16 Sep 12, 2012
Hi,

I have been searching online for the past hour trying to figure out what exactly a 'Tuition Student' is. Could someone please tell me, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike.
Westfield

Dunkirk, NY

#17 Sep 13, 2012
A tuition student is someone who pays to go to a school outside the district he or she is in. Also the school like Ripley could tuition all its high school students to Chautauqua Lake and the Ripley school would then pay the bill to Chautauqua Lake.

It would most likely be cheaper for the Ripley taxpayer to tuition its high school student then to have a high school itself.
Westfield

Dunkirk, NY

#18 Sep 13, 2012
With the Westfield-Brocton merger it really doesn't matter, the High School students from Brocton will be going to the Westfield school if the merger is approved. Westfield is bigger and will have most if not all the BOE members and no decisions will be made by the Brocton people. No one will say this but if the merger is approved I bet it will happen just like I stated.
well well

United States

#19 Sep 13, 2012
Westfield wrote:
With the Westfield-Brocton merger it really doesn't matter, the High School students from Brocton will be going to the Westfield school if the merger is approved. Westfield is bigger and will have most if not all the BOE members and no decisions will be made by the Brocton people. No one will say this but if the merger is approved I bet it will happen just like I stated.
The merger will be approved. Westfield will not be making all the decisions. I also guarantee more than a few brocton teachers will be going to teach in Westfield. Please quit starting rumors.
Pro-merger

Mayville, NY

#20 Sep 17, 2012
Westfield wrote:
You should try studying up on this before you speak. Westfield reserves are worse of then Brocton. Westfield reserves will be gone by 2014-15.. Brocton reserves are projected to be gone a year later. Both schools are similar in size AND problems. One is doing no better then the other. Get your head out of the clouds and do your research. Brocton will have just as much say on what goes on as Westfield.
http://observertoday.com/page/content.detail/...
From the article.. "Alan Holbrook, the WACS business manager, painted the picture for Westfield: an increasing budget gap, a declining fund balance that will lead to fiscal insolvency, a decline in enrollment and a decline in staff.

Specifically in 2012-2013 (before application of reserves or fund balance), the budget gap was $1.2 million; by 2016-17, the cumulative budget gap would be $10.5. By 2014-15, all reserves would be exhausted. Enrollment has declined from 1,100 students in 1995-96 to 760 currently. The projection for 2017-18 is 629 students. The teaching staff declined from 102 in 1995-96 to a current 79 and is projected to be 55 in 2017.

Also from the article.. "Betty Deland, the business manager from Brocton, projected that reserves at Brocton will last until 2015-16."
And of course on size there is this.. "Hertlein pointed out that the districts are similar in geographic size and enrollment."
Your precious Westfield isn't in any better shape then Brocton. If anything, it seems they may be a little worse off..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 28 min ChromiuMan 161,197
News Educational Sabotage 2 hr sabatour 1
News Ex-Blairsville teacher surrenders certification (Dec '07) 7 hr Jballs 87
News Waianae High recalls yearbooks containing racia... (May '09) 12 hr Mr oH 329
News Supreme Court unanimously strikes down Gorsuch ... 16 hr Texxy 1
News South Lewis holding sessions on renovation vers... 20 hr citizen 1
News District 127 will pay for crossing guards (Dec '10) 22 hr Grandma 15
More from around the web