East Poinsett schools end pre-game prayer after protest

Jan 10, 2013 Full story: Arkansas Times 36

The Jonesboro Sun, behind a solid pay wall sorry to say, reports that the East Poinsett School District in Lepanto has finally acknowledged, grudgingly, the concept of separation of church and state.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jacky jo

West Columbia, SC

#24 Jan 14, 2013
to (GUEST) Brother you are not a damn bit more glad than i am and it's pricks like you that make me so glad

Oklahoma City, OK

#25 Jan 14, 2013
Oh dear Jackie blow. You strong Christian values show the true person you are!!!

Lmao!!!!!
question

Little Rock, AR

#26 Jan 15, 2013
jacky jo wrote:
THANK YOU LORD for allowing me to leave Lepanto ar before you allowed satan to infiltrate the people. I know you still have some people there and you have a plan, just to bad those who ridicule you and your word being spoken publicly do'nt realize that there will be payment due for their blasphemy. Wheather they want it or not i pray that you would have mercy on the ignorant. Forgive them FATHER for they know not what they do
So Satan was finally able to infiltrate Lepanto once you left? My, aren't we above it all today?

This is nothing more than the religion of the Pharisees. Nobody ridiculed anyone or the Word of God. And the message of the gospel is that the price has already been paid. There is no more payment to be made. That is, of course, unless you are still living under the law of Moses.

I do not want you or your school officials teaching my kid how to pray. I do not want to hear you pray publicly. Your post is a perfect example of how far off I think you are scripturally so why in the world would I want to fight for you to pray publicly where I have to listen to it?

Chances are your prayer would sound just like your post and honestly, I don't partake in your religion.
I love my god

Marked Tree, AR

#27 Jan 15, 2013
question wrote:
<quoted text>
So Satan was finally able to infiltrate Lepanto once you left? My, aren't we above it all today?
This is nothing more than the religion of the Pharisees. Nobody ridiculed anyone or the Word of God. And the message of the gospel is that the price has already been paid. There is no more payment to be made. That is, of course, unless you are still living under the law of Moses.
I do not want you or your school officials teaching my kid how to pray. I do not want to hear you pray publicly. Your post is a perfect example of how far off I think you are scripturally so why in the world would I want to fight for you to pray publicly where I have to listen to it?
Chances are your prayer would sound just like your post and honestly, I don't partake in your religion.
If you don't like like prayers than y don't u just move on out of our town . I may sound mean toward you but ur also not being nice, matter fact I love my God guess what when i get ready to pray I will do so no matter what and where I am .

Oklahoma City, OK

#28 Jan 15, 2013
It's my town too. You move.
I don't care when and where you pray. Just don't force it on me. Perhaps a moment of you personally being silent and praying instead if forcing everyone to participate would be better.
At least you would be quite for a while!!!
question

Little Rock, AR

#29 Jan 16, 2013
I love my god wrote:
<quoted text> If you don't like like prayers than y don't u just move on out of our town . I may sound mean toward you but ur also not being nice, matter fact I love my God guess what when i get ready to pray I will do so no matter what and where I am .
You should be able to pray when and where you want to pray, even on public school property. But - you should not be able to say your prayer over the loudspeaker and expect the rest of us to listen to it. There is a big difference.

I love God, too. And I have no doubt that you do as well. But if I pray over the loudspeaker and you find my prayer unscriptural or even offensive to your beliefs, then I shouldn't be doing it out loud in public. I can easily pray without everyone hearing me. God hears it, no one else does. And your kids are protected from hearing someone pray in a way that offends you.

There is no need for everyone around us to hear us pray.

Think about it folks, if the person praying is a Muslim or Morman or Jehova's Witness, do you want them to say their prayers out loud at the games so your kids can hear it? I suspect that most people on here in favor of public prayer are baptist or some similar protestant denomination.
question

Little Rock, AR

#30 Jan 16, 2013
And also, to be fair, is it right to make a muslim, morman or jehova's witness listen to a protestant prayer when they come to a school function?

If you want to pray out loud - go to your own church. You don't see the preacher giving math lessons in the pulpit, do you?
Carroll Knapp

Johnson City, TN

#31 Jan 22, 2013
I was born on Arlie mcarthurs farm in 1938 in Mississippi County. Doctor Jones from Lepanto Delivered me. My birth certificate said i was born in lepanto ,ilost it and applied for a new one about 50 years later,it said i was born in Rivervale. Ithink rivervale is also in poinsett county.We left lepanto when the school burned , i was in 3rd grade, moved to blytheville ithink 1948.Does any one know how i could be born lepanto in mississippi county .Iwent to 1st grade at jernigan school.
Info

United States

#32 Jan 22, 2013
Carroll Knapp wrote:
I was born on Arlie mcarthurs farm in 1938 in Mississippi County. Doctor Jones from Lepanto Delivered me. My birth certificate said i was born in lepanto ,ilost it and applied for a new one about 50 years later,it said i was born in Rivervale. Ithink rivervale is also in poinsett county.We left lepanto when the school burned , i was in 3rd grade, moved to blytheville ithink 1948.Does any one know how i could be born lepanto in mississippi county .Iwent to 1st grade at jernigan school.
Try the Lepanto Museum. Dr. Jones records are there.
trust

Lepanto, AR

#33 Jan 24, 2013
Really! If someone is so proud to be athiest why are they ashamed or scared of what they are doing! They wanted to remain anonymous! It makes me sad that people proclaim to be athiest when in reality they know that God is real! People just need to continue praying for their souls!

United States

#34 Jan 25, 2013
Why don't you put your name on your post so god can see who is standing up for him??

United States

#35 Jan 25, 2013
Must be ashamed of god huh????
Captain Redneck

Trumann, AR

#36 Jan 25, 2013
trust wrote:
Really! If someone is so proud to be athiest why are they ashamed or scared of what they are doing! They wanted to remain anonymous! It makes me sad that people proclaim to be athiest when in reality they know that God is real! People just need to continue praying for their souls!
I'm an atheist and am neither proud nor ashamed of it,it just is. If God revealed himself to me I would be a christian but since he hasn't and I'm not a liar...I have no reason to believe. There are plenty of reasons to not put your name on here that have nothing to do with being ashamed or afraid of God. One big one would be so someone like you couldn't try and cause trouble for them,and people like you have caused nothing but trouble for non believers for centuries. But intolerant folks like yourself can no longer ruin someone's reputation or even their life as you could in the past. The time will come when things are reversed and it will be YOU that has to watch your step and answer for believing as you do. Luckily for you, most atheists aren't nearly as judgemental and hateful as so many christians have always been.
county

Lepanto, AR

#37 Jan 25, 2013
Carroll Knapp wrote:
Yes you can live in Lepanto and Mississippi county. Poinsett and Mississippi County join 1.5 miles east of Lepanto.
whew

Lepanto, AR

#38 Jan 25, 2013
LOL I will pray for you!God loves you!

Oklahoma City, OK

#39 Jan 25, 2013
whew wrote:
LOL I will pray for you!God loves you!
What god????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 7 hr Known Fact 131,906
STARNES: Tennessee school's Nation of Islam han... 12 hr Atomic 64
Panther Valley approves tax increases (Jun '08) 15 hr Pondish 64
ACLU lawsuit: Ferguson school board excludes bl... 21 hr Marcus Welby 6
Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) Sat Hacker 618
Catholic board trustees want report on possible... Sat WiFi 1
Officials help break ground for new $51 million... Fri the taxpayers 2
More from around the web