East Poinsett schools end pre-game prayer after protest

Jan 10, 2013 Full story: Arkansas Times 36

The Jonesboro Sun, behind a solid pay wall sorry to say, reports that the East Poinsett School District in Lepanto has finally acknowledged, grudgingly, the concept of separation of church and state.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Jonesboro, AR

#1 Jan 10, 2013
Imagine that taking god even further away from our children.
Yep

Blytheville, AR

#2 Jan 10, 2013
You can thank Dover for that.
proof

Mineola, TX

#3 Jan 10, 2013
Who said
question

Little Rock, AR

#5 Jan 11, 2013
If not hearing a prayer at a football game takes God away from your children then you aren't teaching them at home. Or, you don't have much of a God.
Amen

Blytheville, AR

#6 Jan 11, 2013
Just another example of communism in our country.
working mother

Blytheville, AR

#9 Jan 11, 2013
who gives a rats behind?

Conway, AR

#10 Jan 11, 2013
We care. Us red necks love our GOD thank u.
You will

Little Rock, AR

#11 Jan 11, 2013
working mother wrote:
who gives a rats behind?
When the time comes and you have no one to call out for but GOD. You love somebody surely.
question

Little Rock, AR

#12 Jan 12, 2013
amazed wrote:
we love our god.what does it hurt to say a prayer for the young kids playing? if you don't believe don't listen. god-schools=sandy hooks. who doesn't want their child hurt during the game? who doesn't want to go home feeling closer to god because of the prayer? who doesn't thank god their child did not incur an injury during the game? just saying
Why can you not pray with them at home or on the way to the game? Or you can pray with them at the game if you like. I think this is just about an official prayer over the loudspeakers.

I am a christian and I love God, too. But, I don't want someone else teaching them how to pray or what to pray. Everybody believe something different and who is to say that the person praying isn't going to pray something unscriptural according to someone else's beliefs?

Most of these people that act all huffy over something like this don't even pray with their kids anyway. It's like the school prayer is the only one they'll get. Kinda like the free lunches.

Parents - teach your kids to pray. Don't leave that job to someone else. Not even the schools.
question

Little Rock, AR

#13 Jan 12, 2013
And, if you remember, Jesus wasn't a big fan of public prayer anyway. God wants your heart - not your loudspeaker at the football game.
Fact

Blytheville, AR

#14 Jan 12, 2013
It's all about some one persons complaint and having tradition removed from our school. Not about how to or teaching a child to pray. We just all need to pray for whoever is responsible for taking it away from our kids!!!!

Blytheville, AR

#15 Jan 12, 2013
We give up so easy, don't we? Maybe it was a generic prayer. Yet, God hears all prayers an was watching to our reaction. Silent prayers is alright, yet we need to shout to the housetops about a Savior who died for us. We remain silent sometimes too long an all our relegious freedom is gone as it is. Ever heard the squeeky wheel gets the oil?
amazed

Marked Tree, AR

#16 Jan 12, 2013
actually, prayer is said at home. but it is always nice to know that others are praying for you too. when you lose someone you love, does it not help you to know others are grieving too?
Captain Redneck

Trumann, AR

#17 Jan 13, 2013
question wrote:
<quoted text>I think this is just about an official prayer over the loudspeaker.
Parents - teach your kids to pray. Don't leave that job to someone else. Not even the schools.
That is exactly the point here,an "official" prayer is unconstitutional,which is to say illegal. And so is having anyone at a public school teaching the practice of prayer or religion of ANY type,that aint what the schoolhouse was built for. Oddly enough those restrictions were designed to protect religious freedom not attack it. If folks would get off their high horses and think a little rather than just run off at the mouth they might see that protecting those who don't believe as you do from being subjected to YOUR ideas also protects you from being subjected to THEIR ideas. For instance,how would you like your kids to have to take part in muslim prayers at school or even just have to stand reverently and respectfully until they're finished? Or maybe have junior take a knee for some buddhist chants before the game can begin? You don't think they'd they be some squealing going on over that do you?

Oklahoma City, OK

#18 Jan 13, 2013
Bet these same people would be griping if the public prayer before the game was Islamic to!!
question

Little Rock, AR

#19 Jan 13, 2013
Captain Redneck wrote:
<quoted text> That is exactly the point here,an "official" prayer is unconstitutional,which is to say illegal. And so is having anyone at a public school teaching the practice of prayer or religion of ANY type,that aint what the schoolhouse was built for. Oddly enough those restrictions were designed to protect religious freedom not attack it. If folks would get off their high horses and think a little rather than just run off at the mouth they might see that protecting those who don't believe as you do from being subjected to YOUR ideas also protects you from being subjected to THEIR ideas. For instance,how would you like your kids to have to take part in muslim prayers at school or even just have to stand reverently and respectfully until they're finished? Or maybe have junior take a knee for some buddhist chants before the game can begin? You don't think they'd they be some squealing going on over that do you?
This is what I wish people could understand. Thank God we don't live in a country where our kids are subjected to listen to or participate in any type of prayer mandated by the schools.

This is protection for all of us. If people would think about it they wouldn't see it as a loss.

Oklahoma City, OK

#20 Jan 13, 2013
A lot of people support NO prayer being forced on us and being told we must respect them. I go for a game not religious prayer. Most of us won't say anything because we don't want to be persecuted by the Christians. They have a history of that. And look on here some are saying run the guy out of town. Make his life miserable
That's a real good religion!!!!!
Based on hate and evil towards man!!

Thank you for stopping it!!!!!
jacky jo

West Columbia, SC

#21 Jan 14, 2013
THANK YOU LORD for allowing me to leave Lepanto ar before you allowed satan to infiltrate the people. I know you still have some people there and you have a plan, just to bad those who ridicule you and your word being spoken publicly do'nt realize that there will be payment due for their blasphemy. Wheather they want it or not i pray that you would have mercy on the ignorant. Forgive them FATHER for they know not what they do

Oklahoma City, OK

#22 Jan 14, 2013
Glad you are gone!!!

Blytheville, AR

#23 Jan 14, 2013
I do see where democracy is suppose to be at work here. Just a few years ago Australia told people coming there they were welcome but they worshipped one God. If they stayed they would abide by the law of their land.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
McCandless: City faces enrollment, school choic... 3 hr Praxis33 12
Western School District debates cutting ag prog... (Mar '14) 3 hr Lindsay 2
Some Ferguson schools to close next week 3 hr Yep 4
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 4 hr Anonymous 131,567
BBC in Paris (Oct '07) 6 hr 15 minutes 87
STARNES: Tennessee school's Nation of Islam han... 6 hr Bael 25
Gettysburg considers school resource officer 9 hr cracka 8

Education Etc. People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE