Charter School To Open In Utica In 2013

Charter School To Open In Utica In 2013

There are 27 comments on the WUTR story from Nov 9, 2012, titled Charter School To Open In Utica In 2013. In it, WUTR reports that:

Parents living in the Utica City School District will soon have the option of sending their children to a charter school.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WUTR.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Old friend

Raymond, NH

#1 Nov 9, 2012
Worse thing to ever happen. These schools are private so to say , so they do not have to follow state regulations including those for testing. also money will be taken from Uticas school taxes and given to the charter school so Utica will have less money for its public schools. Most charter schools fail and close within five years. They are not good for Utica. Oh and the teachers they hire do not have to be nys certified as all public school teachers need to be. Don't be fooled that they are self sufficient-money will be given to them.
Obama

Chicago, IL

#2 Nov 9, 2012
Old friend wrote:
Worse thing to ever happen. These schools are private so to say , so they do not have to follow state regulations including those for testing. also money will be taken from Uticas school taxes and given to the charter school so Utica will have less money for its public schools. Most charter schools fail and close within five years. They are not good for Utica. Oh and the teachers they hire do not have to be nys certified as all public school teachers need to be. Don't be fooled that they are self sufficient-money will be given to them.
U sound like a Utica public teacher
hey old friend

Utica, NY

#3 Nov 9, 2012
charter schols do have to follow state ed regulations. Fr testing and everything else. Yes most do fail within 5 years. They can hire a teacher at 125k if they want to. Thaey can also fire anyone with no reason as well. You can bet anything who ever is in charge of this charter school will pencil themself a salary thats outragious. They tell everyonethat students are picked by lottery,but smart people know otherwise. They will take many students who currently attend Notre Dame. The reason simply there will be no tuition cost. Parents will save big money.Now,if the second charter school gets approved the utica city school district will lose approximately 10 million dollars. This means there will be at least 120 teacher layoffs. These layoffs will stand. There will not be the call backs that happened this year. The only good thing out of this is that many of the young arrogant piece of shit teachers working now will be history,Gone GOODBYE.Utica has goodyoung teachers dont get me wrong.But,there are many who think who the hell they are. they are sarcastic,rude,have little or no respect,and they want today what teachers who have taught for 25 or more years have now.There are those young teachers who cant teach their way out of a paper bag that quickly climb into administration. they do this first because they are afraid of kids,dont like kids,CANT TEACH kids,and last but not least want a title. its been happening already you should see the young little rejects that attempt t go into administration. They walk around with the walkie talkie like barney friggin fife. But when something needs to be acted on they run,cry,go yelling for security. its really hysterical watching these freaks of nature. But at any rate,charter schools are here and its not all good. The best thing is getting rid of the young incompetent brat teachers
Obama

Chicago, IL

#4 Nov 9, 2012
Proctor is bad. Give parents a choice. Unions are bad.
free will employement

Whitesboro, NY

#5 Nov 9, 2012
may this charter school succeed!! students who are proud of their grades and hard work deserve to be pulled out of that overcrowded thing you call Proctor. and yes, no union so no bullcrap. you're not meeting standard, oops your fired. nothing wrong with that. that is what happens in the real world of non-union jobs. acs, boa, metlife, utica national, etc.
facts

Utica, NY

#6 Nov 9, 2012
hey old friend wrote:
charter schols do have to follow state ed regulations. Fr testing and everything else. Yes most do fail within 5 years. They can hire a teacher at 125k if they want to. Thaey can also fire anyone with no reason as well. You can bet anything who ever is in charge of this charter school will pencil themself a salary thats outragious. They tell everyonethat students are picked by lottery,but smart people know otherwise. They will take many students who currently attend Notre Dame. The reason simply there will be no tuition cost. Parents will save big money.Now,if the second charter school gets approved the utica city school district will lose approximately 10 million dollars. This means there will be at least 120 teacher layoffs. These layoffs will stand. There will not be the call backs that happened this year. The only good thing out of this is that many of the young arrogant piece of shit teachers working now will be history,Gone GOODBYE.Utica has goodyoung teachers dont get me wrong.But,there are many who think who the hell they are. they are sarcastic,rude,have little or no respect,and they want today what teachers who have taught for 25 or more years have now.There are those young teachers who cant teach their way out of a paper bag that quickly climb into administration. they do this first because they are afraid of kids,dont like kids,CANT TEACH kids,and last but not least want a title. its been happening already you should see the young little rejects that attempt t go into administration. They walk around with the walkie talkie like barney friggin fife. But when something needs to be acted on they run,cry,go yelling for security. its really hysterical watching these freaks of nature. But at any rate,charter schools are here and its not all good. The best thing is getting rid of the young incompetent brat teachers
If you say not all young teachers are bad, then why are you bad mouthing them? You sound like a sour retard, no offense. Not all young teachers are brats, have no respect or rude. I think you most likely got beat out for a job and are sour to them for that.
I Know

Utica, NY

#7 Nov 9, 2012
MANY young teachers today only got into teaching to have school holidays & long summers off. That's it folks, in a nut shell.
Boz

Albany, NY

#8 Nov 9, 2012
Obama wrote:
Proctor is bad. Give parents a choice. Unions are bad.
Spoken like a true republican. Your has-been party lost the election so you out-of-date fools best shut up.
Old friend

Raymond, NH

#9 Nov 9, 2012
Wrong I am not a teacher -nor do they have to follow state regs-
hey old friend

Utica, NY

#10 Nov 10, 2012
they do! money funding the charter schools comes from the state moron. regardless at least one charter school will open for 20013/14.
to my friend FACTS

Utica, NY

#11 Nov 10, 2012
hey mary moron,I didnt get beat ou tof a job by a young teacher.As a matter of FACT,I sell educational software to school districts all over the state. The uticaschool district happens to be one that I sell to. I have had many encounters with young teachers,not only in utica but throughout the state and its very similar throughout. Many young teachers think they have the world coming to them. Many constantly complain about the children in their classrooms,or the parents of children. They bad mouth colleauges,ad administrators saying that this one shouldnt make that amount or so and so is no good. I just find it interesting now with a charter school opening some of the first job to lay off are those of young teachers. For the dedicated ones I feel very bad for,butfor those that I had made mention of and I have encountered many in utica I guess what goes around comes around.
Old friend

Raymond, NH

#12 Nov 10, 2012
Check your info more carefully. Read regs for charter schools. Money will be taken from regular education taxes and teachers do not need to be nys certified just as the teachers in catholic schools need not be certified. The secret word here is certified- your rant about young teachers is a little overboard. Someone steal your candy?
facts

Utica, NY

#13 Nov 10, 2012
his rant his against young teachers as if he knows everyone of them. He most likely never even talked to them. I do feel bad because there are some young teachers who work really hard and put in a lot of hours for the kids. But yes there are some that do not care, but that is in every profession. Your have older teachers that do not care. So your rant has no meaning.
Old friend

Raymond, NH

#14 Nov 10, 2012
Let me be more specific. Each school district that the new charter school student would have attended must turn over their allotment for that student that they receive from the state (taxes )to the charter school. Each district will therefore have less money coming in each year and they will have to make up the difference -and where do you think they will get it from ? School taxes within those districts will have to rise. We will pay for these charter schools one way or another.
take a good look

Utica, NY

#15 Nov 10, 2012
the history of charter schools is ....they take ONLY the better students as soon as the test scores go down they boot the kid oute it takes between 3=5 yrs ...in uticas case all they are doing is bleeding money from an already needy school district watch your taxes go up each yr ......they are private schools ..in it to make a PROFIT funded by TAXPAYERS...they have no share in the city or loyalty to the students ..its a bottom line operation that as soon as the profit is gone ,,,,,they will bail on the community....dont be fooled before you make up your mind on this ...its a pretty package but when you unwrap it it gets less an less pretty
go charter schools

Utica, NY

#16 Nov 10, 2012
one school in and one more to go.
Senator Doofus

Albany, NY

#17 Nov 10, 2012
The cost of charter schools in Albany has destroyed the value of home ownership by raising school taxes dramatically on the home owner. The public schools are left with the bottom of the barrell students and the charter schools have consequently nearly destroyed public education in Albany. The Republicans under Patacki wanted to diminish the state teachers union, but instead deeply damaged home ownership. You can't make this sheet up.
ummm

Utica, NY

#18 Nov 10, 2012
1. Charter schools still have to take state exams. Scores still count. One benefit to this is that they can be more creative with the curriculum they deliver.

2. I believe the charter school approved will be for grades 7-8 so it will not reduce the student population at Proctor.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
interested

Ithaca, NY

#19 Nov 10, 2012
As a teacher and a parent, I would be interested in seeing their educational model and possibly applying for a job. What equipment do they have? What texts and other materials are available? What technology will students and teachers have available? Library content. My guess it will be better for some kids than others.
Eva

Albany, NY

#20 Nov 10, 2012
interested wrote:
As a teacher and a parent, I would be interested in seeing their educational model and possibly applying for a job. What equipment do they have? What texts and other materials are available? What technology will students and teachers have available? Library content. My guess it will be better for some kids than others.
The library content is better for students of color in Albany. But yet it's the white home owners who pay the freight because a preponderance of homes in Albany are owned by whites, yet 91% of charter school attendees are black and Latino. The white kids go to private schools, so they can be with their own kind. Believe me, I know all the details. Charter schools destroy public education.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Report: LGBT students face discrimination at US... 4 min Rainbow Kid 1
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 27 min North Mountain 156,556
News Wichita should innovate, launch charter schools 2 hr CORE CURRICULUM 1
News Students Upset After Teacher Who Criticized Bus... (Mar '06) 13 hr Butterfly4273 150
News New Africentric campus impresses school's founder 20 hr They cannot kill ... 4
News Firearm-only bear hunt in New Jersey resumes 21 hr Flavor3109 2
News 200+ Cases of Harassment & Abuse of People of C... 21 hr Trumpsboy2017 34
More from around the web