Carrollton Free Press Standard News | Superintendent throws no curves in pitch for 5.3 mill opera...

Full story: Carrollton Free Press Standard

Carrollton Schools Superintendent Dr. David Quattrochi says the school district is doing its part to cut expenses and is asking the voting public for support to keep the district finances in the black.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Concerned taxpayer

Dover, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2013

Judged:

I am a retired Carrollton School employee. Several statements in this article are only partly. They are twisted just enough to make you bite on their need for the levy. If you read between the lines a portion of this levy will be going for wages and insurance payments. Why are they special when it comes to insurance, most employed people pay more than the teachers? By the way, I know firsthand that the school's insurance plan is far better than most local plans offered to their employees.
Question

Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2013

Judged:

Why shouldn't we try to pay our teachers as well as we can? Too many people try to make comparisons between the average worker and the teachers. The average worker didn't spend four to six years getting a bach. degree and then a master's degree. The insurance plan teachers get is part of their payment package. We act like education is important in this country and we want to act like we honor the service teachers provide for our families, but then we begrudge them for getting paid. It is absurd to think we will be able to attract the youth of tomorrow to come take care of our children if we don't step up and pay them for it. I also doubt the average person understands just how much a new young teacher doesn't make. I want our kids in school today to see we care about our community, and then maybe some of them will come back and help take care of it too someday.
It is what it is

Carrollton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2013

Judged:

Concerned taxpayer wrote:
I am a retired Carrollton School employee. Several statements in this article are only partly. They are twisted just enough to make you bite on their need for the levy. If you read between the lines a portion of this levy will be going for wages and insurance payments. Why are they special when it comes to insurance, most employed people pay more than the teachers? By the way, I know firsthand that the school's insurance plan is far better than most local plans offered to their employees.
By the way, insurance plans differ for classified and certified employees and there have been changes to the insurance, perhaps since you retired. You fail to say whether you are a retired classified or certified employee and how long you have been retired. Why shouldn't the voters "bite" on the need for the levy? Inform and educate yourself with respect to the financial situation of the school district, put emotion aside and make the best choice for the young people of our community. Vote what works for you and allow others to do the same. Please stop trying to get people stirred up with your emotional, biased opinion.
Tired of the Game

Malvern, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2013

Judged:

Question wrote:
Why shouldn't we try to pay our teachers as well as we can? Too many people try to make comparisons between the average worker and the teachers. The average worker didn't spend four to six years getting a bach. degree and then a master's degree. The insurance plan teachers get is part of their payment package. We act like education is important in this country and we want to act like we honor the service teachers provide for our families, but then we begrudge them for getting paid. It is absurd to think we will be able to attract the youth of tomorrow to come take care of our children if we don't step up and pay them for it. I also doubt the average person understands just how much a new young teacher doesn't make. I want our kids in school today to see we care about our community, and then maybe some of them will come back and help take care of it too someday.
Let them first PROVE they are worthy of the pay, not just walk right in to a sweet deal from day #1 . Many schools treat their teachers like they are in a popularity contest , make them show us they have the skills before we hand over the piggy bank .
Alice

Orient, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Judged:

The negative public perception of teachers who are receiving good wages and benefits yet are poor teachers falls on the shoulders of administrators. Good teachers should be paid well; however, the principals on up should be monitoring teachers at all times to demand the best performance which means that students will benefit. The administration at the high school is especially guilty of keeping undeserving teachers. I don't care how long someone has taught; if a teacher is poor, document and document until the school has both legs to stand on to eliminate the teacher. Too many are "pals" and "good buddies." The community knows who is serving the students and who is just getting by--rumors repeated have to have some truth. Kids come first.
RJM

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

Good point Alice. A lot of inner city schools are failing. For instance the OGT, CHS test rusult put them at the top in the state for academic achievement but lots of inner city schools are struggling. Timken HS is doing very poorly and they got new building to boot. I would say our teachers are doing a great jog, according to the state ranking of excellence. Carrollton has very few teachers that have been there for over 20 years and the younger ones are still enthusiastic about their job.
Blow Torch

Galion, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2013

Judged:

I agree Alice has good point but problem lies in the unions and their unreasonable rules and regulations that make it almost impossible to terminate a bad teacher- same goes with unions in pretty much all occupations- what started as supposedly a way to protect workers against unfair firing has now become the other extreme: worst performing employees are protected (and they know it) from being fired and replaced by more capable, competent, and motivated employees. The other malevolent force in education is Government- if Federal Government and their associated bureaucrats in the Ohio Dept of Education would stop creating such well intentioned (I think) but unfunded and in many cases ridiculous rules and regulations (Common Core, Achievement tests, No Child left behind, etc.) and let teachers do what they are trained to to best we would all have better school systems! Today's kids are "taught to the test" as one teacher told me and lack depth of knowledge, critical thinking skills, and ability to objectively compare and contrast the material being taught, particularly in terms of objectivity and bias, and this is a tragedy but is a direct consequence of the current broken educational system.
Alice

Martinsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2013

Unions can be a problem, but a good, caring administrator in the immediate building and on up to school board members should be documenting all rumors, problems, etc. and then checking up on the teacher who is at the heart of the problem. After facts are collected and a problem does exist, then help that teacher, document, and then follow a course of action to get rid of the poor teacher if nothing changes. I don't care how much the school has to fight to eliminate a poor teacher; just do it. Kids suffer for years and years; think about the teachers you have had--should they have been allowed to stick around for thirty or more years doing the damage they did? I can think of at least seven in my high school years who should not have even called themselves teachers.
County Taxpayer

Norwalk, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2013

Judged:

3 to 5 years before they see oil and gas revenue ????? If a well is scheduled to be drilled in january 2014, they WILL be seeing very very good revenues by the end of the year. Probably A LOT more money than what the tax levy will ever generate!! Ask anybody that is involved in the oil and gas now!!! They claim they have not had any revenue increases??? How much has your property taxes increased in the last several years due to re-evaluations?? Drive around the county and see all the new big fancy homes built in the last 10 years on ground that did not used to have hardly any tax paid on it, that now has a several thousand dollar a year tax bill on it. Remember.. the schools portion of tax revenue has increased accordingly. Educate some kids instead of worrying about lining all of your pockets and playing ball games!! Has anybody ever tried to hire a CHS kid lately?? Best of luck to ya if you do!!....... Wanna make cuts??? Make them!! How about cuttin Mr Quattrochi's hundred thousand PLUS pay a year??.... Maybe cut ALL of their insurance and let them all sign up for Obama care,... they probably all voted for him anyways. Wanna close Augusta and Dellroy?? CLOSE them, thats what you want to do and you're gonna do anyways regardless of election turnout. Wanna threaten "Pay to Play"??? Do It!! The band members all have to buy all their own uniforms and instruments!! All the other "clubs" have to raise their own money for any of their trips or activities they wanna do. Let all of our great fine atheletes pay their way too!! Maybe if they had to pay their own way, you'd have a group of kids that'd put forth a little more effort and show a little more pride and respect in what they do.
Alice

Delaware, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2013

Judged:

Ouch. What about eliminating the assistant superintendent--otherwise known as the program director or manager? That's probably +100,000. What about eliminating the assistant principal in the high school? That's probably +80,000. What about eliminating the high school positions created for coaches? Just trying to help.
Wow

Minerva, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2013

Judged:

IF the ignorant school board had listened to the locals a few years ago and not some attorney in another county they would be seeing gas and oil royalties allot sooner. BUT NO, they knew more than other people did. They signed for less per acre, not nearly the royalties, and a net lease versus a gross lease. The only winner here was the attorney and the oil company! Add in the financial instability of Chesapeake and they may not see a royalty check for a lot longer than 4-5 years...
RJM

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

The gas and oil royalties will only happen when the operation is up and running, could take years. When they are running they can't be depended on due to well shut downs.
The assistant principal serves a vital purpose in the high school Alice, the same with the program director. The coaches do teach required classes like science, math, and electives. Coaches do not have classes created for them. These areas have all ready looked at and positions eliminated in the past.
RJM

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

I've been hearing all the excuses why people don't want to pass a levey for the school. They all know the school needs the money but are looking for a reason to vote it down to save face. Why don't you just be honest and say "I understand the schools needs but I don't want to pay the extra in taxes."
concerned parent

Palm Harbor, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

Definitely the administration should take pay cuts. Also all school personnel should be paying much more for health insurance. Pay to play definitely. Tax money should be for educating our children not for sports programs. Why not push for a sales tax instead? Let all of these out of state workers pay more. I will only vote for the levy if I see a guarantee that none of the funds will go towards pay increases or any type of benefits. Just close the cafeterias and let everyone pack lunches instead of 60% getting free lunches. Last if you are a parent and you can't pay for your own childs needs get a better job or work two if that's what it takes.
Just being honest

Carrollton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

"I understand the schools needs but I don't want to pay the extra in taxes."
countymom

Youngstown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

The free lunches do not come out of local coffers. Administration is where the money is going.
a choice

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Concerned parent you don't understand capitalism. If you want the top teachers you have to pay for them. If you want better product you have to pay more. Sports, well in Europe they don't have them in the schools but have the community support them through clubs. I doubt we could change that here. Sports do aid in the education process. It provides discipline, leadership, teamwork, all the things that can make a good citizen. It also motivates some to complete their education. The lunch program is subsidized by the fed, not the community. Face it, you're just making excuses to justify not voting for the levy. That's fine but I would rather you just be honest and just say it.
RJM

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Not to mention the teachers took a voluntary pay freeze three times to save money. The school is doing all it can do to cut and save money. Why can't all of you acknowledge that?

Just being honest, at least your honest.
Hypocrite

Galion, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Judged:

Concerned taxpayer wrote:
Wow you say your a retired School employee who benefited from the Insurance and salary for all those years and are you receiving a pension? What a hypocrite! You can easily call and have your pension cancelled, oh wait no your a hypocrite who takes with one hand and bites with the other.
concerned parent

Apple Creek, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2013

Judged:

a choice wrote:
Concerned parent you don't understand capitalism. If you want the top teachers you have to pay for them. If you want better product you have to pay more. Sports, well in Europe they don't have them in the schools but have the community support them through clubs. I doubt we could change that here. Sports do aid in the education process. It provides discipline, leadership, teamwork, all the things that can make a good citizen. It also motivates some to complete their education. The lunch program is subsidized by the fed, not the community's. Face it, you're just making excuses to justify not voting for the levy. That's fine but I would rather you just be honest and just say it.
A choice you sound like a teacher or a member of the administration. Teachers make plenty for the actual time they work each year. By the way we are not in Europe. Sports are good. Paying to play is not a bad thing it just takes that expense off all tax payers and makes the parents who's children want to play pay the extra. I have no problem voting yes if I am sure the money is being used correctly and not towards pay increases or to cover benefits.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of23
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••