West Islip to Close Kirdahy, Westbroo...

West Islip to Close Kirdahy, Westbrook Elementary Schools

There are 2481 comments on the WALK 97.5 story from Jan 13, 2012, titled West Islip to Close Kirdahy, Westbrook Elementary Schools. In it, WALK 97.5 reports that:

West Isilp - After weeks of study, the West Islip School District will close the Westbrook and Paul E. Kirdhay Elementary schools at the end of the school year, a decision officials say will save the district approximately $3 million, cutting its projected deficit in half.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WALK 97.5.

Mary

West Islip, NY

#619 Mar 14, 2012
lilith wrote:
Thanks to all the vile haters in this town my husband and I decided today to sell our house and move out of this dysfunctional town. Catholic school is too expensive and even if we sell our house for a loss it is far better than staying here and living with dishonest cowards.
You don't sell a house lilith because of "vile haters", so please, stop the drama. You are selling your house because if you don't get the heck out of here soon, your house will be worth NOTHING. We are all in the same boat. Who is going to buy my house today, especially conidering guess what? No one knows what school my children will be going to, and when buyers ask, I have to say, not sure yet. They also want to know why two of our elementary schools are closing? They ask why we are waiting to find out the redistricting lines? They very politely say that they are "still looking in other towns" and before long, gone! Elementary school closures is all any buyer needs to hear. They compare West Islip to Bay Shore now because Bay Shore schools look so "grand" from the outside, and hear how marvelous they are these days. GREAT, just GREAT! Then there is the harsh reality that at this point in time, we owe more on this house than this house is worth, so taking a loss isn't an option. In fact, two of the homes on this block are already in foreclosure. Another draw back to first time buyers. Location, location, location! I'm sick to my stomach!
fyi

Bay Shore, NY

#620 Mar 14, 2012
Hey! Everyone who was on here posting because you wanted change. Everyone who was on here posting because you felt the BOE had mismanaged finances, been sneaky and self serving; everyone who felt it time to Dismantle The BOE- I think you may have let the BOE succeed once again.

3 pages of posts- "hot" topic the distraction that the BOE president managed to cause at SEPTA Bowl-
New topic 'lilith' leaving West Islip.

So whomever wanted to is managing to change the forefront on the topic from "School closures and poor financial planning-lack of community support" to Realestate.

Don't let it happen- The bus vote is coming up, petitions are out for nominations,teachers will soon be pink slipped, principals about to be shifted, students and parents still in the dark about where they will be come September,the final budget presentation is quickly approaching-

Don't let the 'Delphi Professionals' win! People in the community have read the posts, there is talk on the sports fields and in the supermarkets. That is why the BOE keeps operating the way it has, it was no mistake that 1 week after the Westbrook petition was present the president of the BOE showed up at the Westbrook meeting and walked out.(Distraction)- It is no coincidence that the BOE President would go to SEPTA Bowl with his petition(Distraction)- It was no coincidence that the BOE presiding officer'President' had his vote to close Westbrook buried in the middle of the polling(Distraction)-And it is no coincidence that suddenly the more FACT that is posted, the more the truth unfolds or the closure it gets to the votes (so many) posters are on 'loving the BOE' and trying to change the subject.

DISMANTLE THE BOE
Rich of WI

Saint James, NY

#621 Mar 14, 2012
Posting here has help to get the truth out to the community. Most patents and taxpayers realize what the BOE had done to our children and our children's education. Remember we only get this one chance to make this right for our kids. If the BOE is successful, we will loose two great schools with two great families of staff. We will have our children thrown around the district, crammed into classrooms, loose the teacher to student ratios, break promises and loose our successful Integrated Program at Westbrook, loose computer labs, but most of all our youngest children will loose the sense of safety and security that comes from knowing that they will be able to stay in their own Elementary School with all of their friends. The BOE could care less about your kids or mine. They could care less what you might say at the BOE meetings. They have their own agenda and it's not our schools or our children. If you haven't yet emailed our representatives or organizations, please email them today. It is our last chance to save our schools for our kids.
Mary

West Islip, NY

#623 Mar 14, 2012
fyi, I got ya, but I still want to know how in the hell anyone can just sell their house with all this shit hitting the fan all at once? I tried but there aren't any takers, I can't get what I think is a fair price, I can't move from this soon to be hell hole even if I wanted to. I am going to ask the BOE what they suggest I say or do to make my school district, this town, and my home a desirable purchase for a buyer. Should I lie? Does anyone find themselves in the same situation? If I had known last year that this was going to happen, I would have put my home up for sale and take the best offer. I thought it was only the economy on Long Island, but closing two elementary schools isn't an attractive selling point ya know? What's next tumble weeds?
betcha didnt know this

West Islip, NY

#624 Mar 14, 2012
There will be a PTA Council member taking questions at Westbrook's PTA meeting Thursday night. How many West Islip residents are aware of the FACT that the President of the WI Council of PTAs, Miss Wanner is employed by the BOE VP? Yes, Miss Wanner works at the
VP's preschool. How impartial could the whole Council of PTAs be when their president GETS PAID BY THE BOE'S VP!!!??? Open your eyes West Islip.

How convenient that Westbrook's PTA meeting AND the Budget Session are both scheduled for the SAME day at the SAME time! Open you eyes West Islip.
Rich of WI

Saint James, NY

#625 Mar 14, 2012
Don't let this happen to our children. Email or write your representatives. Silence indicates acceptance.
WEST ISLIP ALERT

West Islip, NY

#626 Mar 14, 2012
It is a genuine conflict of interest for the WI PTA Council Pres to be working for a BOE VP. I find it also a conflict of interest that the VP should be sitting on the Islip Town Zoning Board of appeals too.
Living with a sociopath

New York, NY

#627 Mar 14, 2012
Agreed. Resignations are in order here. Don't think for one minute the WI PTA Council Pres is not aware of this conflict.

On the other front how would that work, if you cross the VP of the BOE, the next time you need a variance from the town on your house it is denied ?
radar

West Islip, NY

#628 Mar 14, 2012
I see what you are saying. Why would a person NEED to have so many irons on the fire?
Let us get this right

West Islip, NY

#629 Mar 14, 2012
We could probably FOIL for her conflict of interest disclosure form... Usually a required document for serving on boards
Rich of WI

Saint James, NY

#630 Mar 14, 2012
WEST ISLIP ALERT wrote:
It is a genuine conflict of interest for the WI PTA Council Pres to be working for a BOE VP. I find it also a conflict of interest that the VP should be sitting on the Islip Town Zoning Board of appeals too.
These are both GENUINE CONFLICT OF INTEREST issues which require an investigation by an objective group or representative which is NOT connected to the district. We need a complete investigation of the BOE, it's members, and their decisions BEFORE our schools are closed and before the budget is put up for a vote. Email or write to the NYSSBA and the NYS Board of Regents so that they know what is going on here. Let them decide.
Jessica

Brentwood, NY

#631 Mar 14, 2012
Now they are moving the principals all around. Instead of making the transition easy (which they claim is a priority), they are pulling principals from their schools, where they have worked with the staff for years and everything runs smoothly at a time when we need the continuity the most!

What is going on in this town? That is the question. Nothing they do makes any sense whatsoever!

Shouldn't a principal remain in their school? The transition would be seamless with someone at the helm who has been doing the job for YEARS! It is bad enough we will be adding 200 extra students to each building, now the staff, faculty, students and families have extra adjustments to make getting used to a new person and all that comes along with it.

The treatment of the elementary schools, their students, parents, faculty,& staff is unreal! I cannot believe what is going on in this town. What a disappointment.
fyi

Bay Shore, NY

#632 Mar 14, 2012
Jessica wrote:
Now they are moving the principals all around. Instead of making the transition easy (which they claim is a priority), they are pulling principals from their schools, where they have worked with the staff for years and everything runs smoothly at a time when we need the continuity the most!
What is going on in this town? That is the question. Nothing they do makes any sense whatsoever!
Shouldn't a principal remain in their school? The transition would be seamless with someone at the helm who has been doing the job for YEARS! It is bad enough we will be adding 200 extra students to each building, now the staff, faculty, students and families have extra adjustments to make getting used to a new person and all that comes along with it.
The treatment of the elementary schools, their students, parents, faculty,& staff is unreal! I cannot believe what is going on in this town. What a disappointment.
Sorry Oquenock couldn't have it ALL their way or at least you couldn't, but I think that having Mr. Maniscalco going to Oquenock with at least a portion of his students and in particular the inclusion classes which will be moving there might help with there adjustment.
Capricorn

West Islip, NY

#633 Mar 14, 2012
Ladies, stop the "infighting", which we all know is bound to exist regretably, now that these disfunctional people in our leadership has wrought these burdens upon the rest of us. Control that urge please, none of this is our fault, but this forum is to rip the BOE and Admin (who got us into this mess) apart, not each other. Neither of you did anything wrong, so what feelings arise (naturally) about this terrible wrong done to us musn't spill out and onto each other, fair enough? We have plenty of people to put the blame on again and again and again and again. Remember Delphi Technique? Keep your focus!
Jessica

Brentwood, NY

#634 Mar 14, 2012
Listen Mr. Maniscalco is fabulous. He is fantastic. I'm sure we will be extremely happy with him at Oquenock. I'm not asking to have it all. This whole entire thing is completely unfair to the entire elementary school community. There are plenty of people who don't care for Oquenock's principal and would be thrilled to have some new blood. My point is that moving around the principals is a bad decision because it makes transitioning that much more difficult. Unnecessarily difficult. Don't forget that many Westbrook students are also going to be at Manetuck, where there is a principal position vacant! Why would they not put Mr. Maniscalco there? It makes the most sense. I think both Manetuck and Oquenock would benefit from that! This is just causing unnecessary chaos. It is already going to be insane come September.
Clueless

West Islip, NY

#635 Mar 14, 2012
Are you kidding me? Just like (to you) the most sense would have been to just close Captree and be done with it, who cares about those kids. The only chaos that will be caused in Sept is going to be by the parents who will INSIST on practically sitting at their child's desk with them to make sure they are "ok". BTW this may be a place to vent but this forum wasnt created to bash the BOE and Admin. While we are at it, stop with the Delphi technique crap.
Jessica

Brentwood, NY

#636 Mar 14, 2012
Just like your name implies, you are completely Clueless.

Once again, the BOE has decided to fling common sense out the window and engage in political BS.

Why else are there no "changes" ever happening at PJB?

And again, Captree opens and closes all the time. So it would make sense that they close Captree. It isn't that I don't care about those kids, rather everyone who is zoned for Captree knows that there is potential that that building will close or reopen.

AGAIN, they should have never reopened Captree to begin with. We wouldn't be stuck in this crappy situation.
west islip parents union

West Islip, NY

#637 Mar 14, 2012
Clueless wrote:
Are you kidding me? Just like (to you) the most sense would have been to just close Captree and be done with it, who cares about those kids. The only chaos that will be caused in Sept is going to be by the parents who will INSIST on practically sitting at their child's desk with them to make sure they are "ok". BTW this may be a place to vent but this forum wasnt created to bash the BOE and Admin. While we are at it, stop with the Delphi technique crap.
And we should stop bringing up the BOE using the Delphi Technique on the community why?........Oh, right because it's the truth. Should we stop bringing up the bullying and beer muscle mania too?
Oh, well in THAT case let's stop it immediately because we can't have any of the truth going on now can we.
You don't have the right to tell anyone what we can say and can't say on this or any forum. If you don't like it, don't log on anymore.
DISMANTLE THE BOE.
Maya

West Islip, NY

#638 Mar 14, 2012
According to the Patch, looks like the middle schools are scrambling to not get sports programs cut from the budget. I hope it doesn't come to that, but cramming elem. kids into schools isn't fair either. Welcome to the new West Islip School District where everything you've known, loved and counted on is no longer, but at least cutting the busing will give the kids their exercise walking back and forth to school!
Clueless

West Islip, NY

#639 Mar 14, 2012
My point exactly! YOU cant tell others what they can say and not say. This is a public forum. As you can see by the BOE attendance turnout the majority are NOT with you. We will make our decision on the budget and BOE elections with our own minds and judgements and if the budget happens to fail it will be because of individual preferences NOT from what you nuts are saying on here although I am sure you will take full credit. Good riddence to you all you are all a bunch of wackos!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 23 min spaceship 142,433
News Federal appeals court rules in favor of former ... 40 min Reality 6
News Martin Luther King Jr. monument brings rights a... (Oct '11) 6 hr rebel111 16
News First Grade's Five Secrets To Success In Taiwan 23 hr TW_sugar_daddio 8
News Stalker case leads to lawsuit against St. Bruno... (Feb '13) Sat tellinitlikeitwas 1,334
News A girl waves a Mexican flag during rallies in L... (Mar '06) Fri Pyrite Smith 4,505
News Budget hit by mineral value drop Jul 30 Mary 1
More from around the web