Blanche Ely High school in Broward Co...

Blanche Ely High school in Broward County switches to dual prin...

There are 224 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Jun 23, 2007, titled Blanche Ely High school in Broward County switches to dual prin.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Two principals apparently are better than one, or at least that's the thinking behind a district decision to double up on that job at another Broward County high school.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
MELROY

Pompano Beach, FL

#1 Jun 24, 2007
So , Mr. Notter " put two people there ( at Boyd Anderson ) to expedite change " , did he ? Well , I think that maybe he should have put three there . I'm speaking in reference to the " end of the year and the National Honor Society induction ceremonies " . Neither principal found the time in their busy schedules to make an apperance at either event . These are two very important events that spotlight the brightest kids at that school . My daughter is in the I.B.( International Baccalaureate ) program there . She is in the class of '08 and there is absoultly nothing that I going to miss about that school . During the end of the year awards ceremony , I sat and watch the young bright scholars walk across a stage ( some multiple times ) to shake the hand of the R.O.T.C. sergeant , receive a fake award with the other hand , return it to a faculty member after leaving the stage , and then return to their seats empty handed . To this day , my daughter still have not received her award . It will always remain in my mind the dissapointed looks on their faces as they returned to their seats in the audience . Mr. Notter , I believe that a lot of the tax payers moneies are being wasted with your " dual principal method " . ONE principal could have NOT shown up at such important functions , why are we paying two for this ?????????
MJD

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#2 Jun 24, 2007
As an employee of the school system I have to tell you that the way principals are handled id flawed. They are basically dictated to by an autocratic system, they have no say where they work, no say in policy and have an almost impossible job to carry out, especially with the lack of "qualified" teachers.
There are many principals that are not qualified to run a hot dog cart, let alone a school, with all it's challenges and construction projects, etc.
I believe all construction projects should be directed by a construction representative from the county and let the principal manage the school.
Principals are basically assigned to a school with little to no training or mentoring into the job, this is because the system does not allow for overlapping of one person, with another on the job in order to fill that person in on the job. So, basically a candidate is handed the keys and told, "here, you're in charge, make it work, sink or swim" attitude.
I came from the corporate world to teach about sixteen years ago, and if these principals ever held these positions in industry and got the results they get in the school system, the would be fired!!!
I do not blame the principals, most are trying to do a good job but, are not given, and cannot get the "right" tools. Additionally when they have a "problem" employee, the unions back them to the end, why?, I have no idea because it just demeans the professionals that "are" trying, and doing their jobs professionally.
The school system is one of the few systems that reward mediocracy and even breaking the rules by re-assignment to a higher position in order to avoid legal conflict.
Thanks for the vent!!!
Amazing

AOL

#3 Jun 24, 2007
It is amazing how the school district can cry 'we're broke, we're broke' and then out of the blue somehow find the money to pay for two veteran principals at the top of the pay scale. Since the co principals are within their retirement period, there is no true loyalty to the school. They are definitely not into any popularity contest as they are free to walk at any time and collect their pensions. There is an obvious 'if you don't like it, leave atmosphere.' In this day and age of trying to cut tax spending down, it seems like a waste of tax dollars to be paying for two principals...Of course there are other costs associated with having two principals, such as instead of having only one principal's secretary, you now have two principal's secretaries (one for each principal)...Give me a break! Quit wasting tax payer dollars....If the school board can give a struggling school ONE good principal and it doesn't work-----SHUT the school DOWN!!! It is obvious that with some of these schools you could put the top 10 principals in the nation in charge at the same school and the school would still be faced with the same problems.....All roads do not necessarily always lead back to leadership! And then there is always the issue of being on the same page. What do you do if you have two co-principals who are not on the same page, or disagree about a matter? Whose decision is final? What good would it do the school if at some point there becomes friction between the co-principals? Something to think about!!!!
Pissed off

United States

#4 Jun 24, 2007
If you think that having two principals is bad try having five of them. At a school where I was teaching in Georgia they had a principal, assistant principal and three vice principals.
That was a real rats nest.
Steve

Pompano Beach, FL

#5 Jun 24, 2007
Excellent example of government waste:

Why settle for one (of anything) when you can have two at twice the price!
Paul Petonick

Alachua, FL

#6 Jun 24, 2007
I worked as an assistant principal at Coral Springs High for 21 years and retired in April 2005 after a total of 32 years in education. For many of those years I was given the title of "Second in Command" and when the principal was out of the building, I was in charge. I received no additional pay for this position, but all the responsibility. While holding this position my other responsibilities were to manage the school's budget of over $8,000,000, do the master schedule for all 2800 students- making sure all students were placed appropriately, to make sure all teachers were certified for their teaching assignments, in charge of all school leases, in charge of all local, state and federal school reports, in charge of the school funding report (FTE), classroom visitations, the evaluation of 25 teachers, required to attend county level meetings for the principal, the school's bell schedule, Saturday detention, after school and evening supervision of ballgames and activities,and a myriad of other duties.I guess back then the district decided that Coral Springs High and all other high schools in the district, who had Second in Command assistant principals just like me, did not need two principals, but the system is different now. It seems absolutely ridiculous that any school needs two principals!!! This is an absolute waste of money. If Ely and Boyd Anderson get two principals why don't all high schools that have larger enrollments and building projects also get two principals? I would think the Area Superintendent's Offices would have closely monitored Ely and Boyd Anderson and given the principals of those schools the help they needed to run the school more effectively. Is that not their job? But I guess the solution is to just add another principal and cost the district and taxpayers more money and this will solve the problem.
August

Long Beach, CA

#7 Jun 24, 2007
So the schools need qualified, well-compensated administrators. It is fair to pay them a competitive wage, but must they be called principals?
general lee

Pompano Beach, FL

#8 Jun 24, 2007
wade edmond did a bad job. made discision basic on people he liked rather than who, were best for the job are not.fired some of the top teachers, and coaches. in the county. and this is just a life-line, because he's liked by some he, should have been fired.
In the Know

United States

#9 Jun 24, 2007
It's Till's fault--he put so many unqualified people in the principal pool and ultimately made so many of these unqualified people principals because they either "played the game" or met some quota that now Notter is stuck with a ton of prinicpals who can't do the job and need help. Because the "system" doesn't allow superintendents to summarily get rid of these unqualified principals, he probably will have to "double up" at most schools. And since so many of these unqualified new princpals are so young, schools will be "stuck with" these unqualified new principals for years. Thanks for the legacy, Mr. Till!
strkpr

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#10 Jun 24, 2007
Why not hire 2 more teachers for the $118,000 and shrink the some class size.
LGK3

Boca Raton, FL

#11 Jun 24, 2007
Take the principals from the A schools and move them to the failing schools. Take the faculties as well. We have quality people let's put them in the right spots. Do we want what is best for the kids or want what is best for the community that has money? Throwing money at a bad situation usually just makes it worse. Fix the real problem and bring in a whole new staff from an A school.
ugh

Miami, FL

#12 Jun 24, 2007
I have been teaching in this system for 22 years. I have worked under 5 principals during that time. Of the five, only one was competent to run a school. Unfortunately, she has since retired. They should hire her back!

In my opinion, principals are control freaks. It is hard for me to imagine them in the classroom. If they ran a classroom the way they run a school, they would lose their jobs. From what I have seen, they are rude, unprofessional people who don't care about the teachers at their schools.

It will be interesting to see how these two can work together.
Teacher

Polk City, FL

#13 Jun 24, 2007
Taking teachers from the A schools will not change much.

As for dual principals, that is a major waste of taxpayer dollars.
ugh

Miami, FL

#14 Jun 24, 2007
LGK3 wrote:
Take the principals from the A schools and move them to the failing schools. Take the faculties as well. We have quality people let's put them in the right spots. Do we want what is best for the kids or want what is best for the community that has money? Throwing money at a bad situation usually just makes it worse. Fix the real problem and bring in a whole new staff from an A school.
It is not the principals nor the teachers that make an "A" school. It is mostly demographics.
ugh

Miami, FL

#15 Jun 24, 2007
In the Know wrote:
It's Till's fault--he put so many unqualified people in the principal pool and ultimately made so many of these unqualified people principals because they either "played the game" or met some quota that now Notter is stuck with a ton of prinicpals who can't do the job and need help. Because the "system" doesn't allow superintendents to summarily get rid of these unqualified principals, he probably will have to "double up" at most schools. And since so many of these unqualified new princpals are so young, schools will be "stuck with" these unqualified new principals for years. Thanks for the legacy, Mr. Till!
I agree 100%!!!!!!!
Class of 70

Pompano Beach, FL

#16 Jun 24, 2007
general lee wrote:
wade edmond did a bad job. made discision basic on people he liked rather than who, were best for the job are not.fired some of the top teachers, and coaches. in the county. and this is just a life-line, because he's liked by some he, should have been fired.
Mr. Edmond should have been FIRED this is your last chance.
Duuuuuuhhhhh

Bonita Springs, FL

#17 Jun 24, 2007
Look at the communities thats why these schools such. Sorry to point out the elephant in the room.
Justin

AOL

#18 Jun 24, 2007
As a new teacher and a former student of south florida, I believe this is a total waste. You do your job right or you don't do your job. Ely needs help. They have finally been given the funds they need to improve. Now, like in most school in south florida, as well as in the school board and government, it's time to clean house. Stop wasting tax dollars on over paid yet under qualified people and start respecting and adding the teachers and administrations that make a difference.
jeapple18

Louisville, KY

#19 Jun 24, 2007
You DO NOT need a second in command here!!!! What you DO need are teachers that will TEACH. Get rid of the useless union and force the teachers to teach or go packing. 99% of teachers are nothing more than over paid babysitters anymore, get rid of these and hire ones that will WROK for their pay.
Justin

AOL

#20 Jun 24, 2007
ugh wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not the principals nor the teachers that make an "A" school. It is mostly demographics.
I agree.
The FCAT is culturally and economiclly bias. Students from other countries and low income areas always school lower then wealthy "white" schools. But that does not get a principal off the hook for low test schools.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 min CCR 165,496
News A girl waves a Mexican flag during rallies in L... (Mar '06) 5 hr SSSSSATAN 4,546
News Students warned to prove Texas residence or leave (Sep '09) Wed Laredo 26
News Shuttered Mexican-American studies program back... Tue Quirky 1
News Two Logan County school superintendents charged... Jul 17 Japanese_Food_Expert 3
News Shooting no shock at school (Apr '06) Jul 16 AnonymousOldFriend 137
News 2 Ohio School Superintendents Indicted In Child... Jul 15 Jon Snout 1
More from around the web