Flippin School District put on alert

Nov 23, 2010 Full story: Baxter Bulletin

FLIPPIN - Superintendent Dale Query told the Flippin School Board during its meeting Monday night that 'It's a train wreck waiting to happen.' Query was referring to requirements of the No Child Left Behind Act that will require all students in a school to be proficient in math and reading by the year 2014.

Full Story
Dorothy in Texas

Conroe, TX

#1 Nov 23, 2010
The problem is not that you don't have enough teachers, it is that teachers don't teach in the classroom like they did back in the 1950's and 1960's. Walking into a classroom, handing out papers, open your text books to page....and complete the assignment does not cut it. These children need a teacher to walk into a classroom, take roll call, and begin teaching so these kids learn in the classroom and don't need a tutor to teach them what the teacher should have taught them in the first place. You didn't hear of a lot of students needing help back years ago. The number of students that needed extra help were very few. Teachers took the time to help students when they were asked. Too many schools are failing and someone should look at how students are taught in the classroom for a change. Maybe teachers need to go that extra mile if they truely care about the students and not just a paycheck.
just sayin

United States

#2 Aug 28, 2012
Years ago there wasnt piles and piles of paper work to do and the teachers had time to teach...they were also aloud to discipline the kids and the kids knew that and behaved...the kids also knew that if they got in trouble at school then they would be in even more trouble at home..now days thats not the case! The kids go home tell mom or dad or whomever they live with that the teacher is to blame and the parents jump all over the teacher because their precious baby does no wrong! Parents need to wake up and let the kids be responsible for their actions or they will wake up one day with 35 year old babies at home with anger issues, prescription medication habits, and no job because so in so is mean to them!
rhinobryan

Omaha, AR

#3 Feb 11, 2013
I couldn't have said it better. Just Sayin, is spot on. Parents need to be doing their job as well. I would have to say that I am leery about the new homework policies in Flippin. When these kids get to college and they have to start doing a ton of homework and studying, they are going to have problems. My son tells me that he can check books out if he needs them, but there aren't really enough for everyone? A lot of this does not sound right to me. I do know that less homework for students equals less work for teachers. I will be watching this very closely as I am not trusting it to be the best policy for my child. If you are just studying answers for a test, you are not truly learning the curriculum. It is hard for parents to help their kids with their homework or study when there is no homework, let alone books brought home.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Panther Valley approves tax increases (Jun '08) 22 min Pondish 64
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr havent forgotten 131,904
ACLU lawsuit: Ferguson school board excludes bl... 5 hr Marcus Welby 6
Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) 9 hr Hacker 618
Catholic board trustees want report on possible... 13 hr WiFi 1
Officials help break ground for new $51 million... 16 hr the taxpayers 2
A 'Moon Shot' Goal for Computer Programming 18 hr Curtis Lowe 1
More from around the web