Fluvanna County Back to School - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

Summer break is over for students in Fluvanna County Public Schools. Monday students returned to class, with upper classmen starting the school year in their new high school. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
mtv kid

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Aug 13, 2012
Glad they are back in school have alot of wild/crazy kids on my road. My car was broken into this summer.
Liberalace

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Aug 13, 2012
Well, with that new state-of-the-art weight room, next summer you will have stronger criminals on your road!

BTW, I didn't know weightlifting was an art. Now they can joy the ranks of artists from Renoir to the Subway Sandwich Artists.

R.I.P.: Owen Hart
stink bug

United States

#3 Aug 13, 2012
the opening of the new h.s. brings and end to many months of local political bickering which I have found to be very entertaining. it turns out that our elected officials, when confronted by the people that vote for them, are very quick to back down from their mainstream party talking points.
as long as a county's population increases the money needed for schools will increase to educate children from both repubican and democratic parents.
Liberalace

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Aug 13, 2012
stink bug wrote:
the opening of the new h.s. brings and end to many months of local political bickering which I have found to be very entertaining. it turns out that our elected officials, when confronted by the people that vote for them, are very quick to back down from their mainstream party talking points.
as long as a county's population increases the money needed for schools will increase to educate children from both repubican and democratic parents.
The county's population projections for the need for a huge high school were way, way off. But I am glad they have that weight room and lots of other goodies to educate our kids.

R.I.P.: Jackie Coogan
Not All That

United States

#5 Aug 13, 2012
It would have been nice if they had the money to operate all the courses they "advertised" as having--one being the carpentry class. There are plenty of rooms not being used because there is no money in the budget to offer those courses. Ridiculous! Also, to the great minds who designed this school and grounds, was it that difficult to design a parking lot big enough for the staff, faculty AND all buses to park? Or how about some signs on the hallway walls indicating which rooms were down which hallway?? Again, lack of planning .... but we have an astro-turf football field. Woohoo!
fluco mom

United States

#6 Aug 13, 2012
the astro turf will bring in the money for the school and if you drove around to the back of the school near the football field the parking lot is plenty big enough. there were alot of empty spaces back there the night all the lazy people parked along the curb. Carpentry is a class being offered next semester it is a 3 period long class. The signs on the hallways wouldve been nice but every floor is layed out the exact same way.
are you kidding

Palmyra, VA

#7 Aug 13, 2012
FYI, every bit of equipment in the weight room was purchased with money that was raised by athletes and students. Not a dime of taxpayer money.

It's a real shame that the county actually built a high school large enough that we won't have to build another in a few decades.

Find something else to bit$h about.
Liberalace wrote:
<quoted text>
The county's population projections for the need for a huge high school were way, way off. But I am glad they have that weight room and lots of other goodies to educate our kids.
R.I.P.: Jackie Coogan
sville

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Aug 13, 2012
I like how Gena Keller said "move on It's here" that's on cbs19 ...yea she has a lot of money who care about the other taxes payers
annonymous

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Aug 13, 2012
Not All That wrote:
It would have been nice if they had the money to operate all the courses they "advertised" as having--one being the carpentry class. There are plenty of rooms not being used because there is no money in the budget to offer those courses. Ridiculous! Also, to the great minds who designed this school and grounds, was it that difficult to design a parking lot big enough for the staff, faculty AND all buses to park? Or how about some signs on the hallway walls indicating which rooms were down which hallway?? Again, lack of planning .... but we have an astro-turf football field. Woohoo!
Perhaps they could have also broke the bank and sprung for a good old fashioned pencil sharpener. My niece had to get a bunch of mechanical pencils that were required because they were told the school couldn't afford pencil sharpeners for the class. And unless a new teacher quickly appeared, another relative will sit in a room and have to take his class on line and send in an email if he has a question, because they have no teacher for the class. But yay for a fancy football field.......
FLUCO ALUM

United States

#10 Aug 14, 2012
While I understand some people's positions on this there are issues throughout the entire school system, NOT just the high school. For instance, a teacher in an elementary school quit to go to another school system & left younger children without a teacher....as in a substitute for an undisclosed amount of time until the school system can hire another.
But here's the kicker...ALL school systems have pluses & minuses. There is no perfect school out there.
Fluvanna built a new high school because it was desperately needed. It was needed long before I graduated over a decade ago. However, due to the "newness" of the school everyone is talking. I remember when Albemarle built Monticello. There were issues there & a need for an addition shortly after opening the school.
Yes it's a new school, yes there are some things that are overdone, yes there are some that are under done, but we need to take this out of the limelight & let everyone focus on what's important...the education of the kids.
sville

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Aug 14, 2012
FLUCO ALUM wrote:
While I understand some people's positions on this there are issues throughout the entire school system, NOT just the high school. For instance, a teacher in an elementary school quit to go to another school system & left younger children without a teacher....as in a substitute for an undisclosed amount of time until the school system can hire another.
But here's the kicker...ALL school systems have pluses & minuses. There is no perfect school out there.
Fluvanna built a new high school because it was desperately needed. It was needed long before I graduated over a decade ago. However, due to the "newness" of the school everyone is talking. I remember when Albemarle built Monticello. There were issues there & a need for an addition shortly after opening the school.
Yes it's a new school, yes there are some things that are overdone, yes there are some that are under done, but we need to take this out of the limelight & let everyone focus on what's important...the education of the kids.
I graduated in 03 it was not that bad and if the old high was so bad why would they move the middle school kids in it??
blaster

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Aug 14, 2012
Isnt that the same dumbasz county that votrd to increase there taxes yo pay for a debt the elite off shore bankers created that WE THE PEOPLE DO NOTT OWE \
screw them and tell them to shut up
stupid waste

Fredericksburg, VA

#13 Aug 14, 2012
The school was never needed. It was a huge waste and the most expensive school ever built. Over 100 seniors were put on the street for delinqunt taxes due to the massive tax hikes to pay for that monument to waste. It is like every overpaid teacher created a homeless retiree due to their greed!
Negligence

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Aug 17, 2012
Seniors continue to attack the 8th graders they forced go to this 93 million sollar school when ever they go in the unsupervised stairwells. No one will stop the assaults!
Lake Taxpayer

Nanjemoy, MD

#15 Aug 18, 2012
Fluvanna teachers are corrupt, unqualified overpaid child haters. Not a one if them is even sma decent human being.
Bankrupt County

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Aug 18, 2012
Watching the smug teachers of Fluvanna going into their overpriced palace of a school while homeless senior citizens who lost their life savings to taxes to pay for it.......it just makes me furious!
Fluco Fubar

Washington, DC

#17 Aug 19, 2012
What kind of county starts school at the beginning of August? I guess the kind that builds schools they cannot afford, has half the busses they need, and pays the teachers twice what they are worth!
State takeover

Gambrills, MD

#18 Aug 21, 2012
With all the bullying, fights, assaults, theft, inept teachers, basement test scores, and overspending on unneeded schools, with contracts going to the relatives of teachers, why hasn't the state taken over Fluvanna's failed schools?
Future Lifers

Fredericksburg, VA

#20 Aug 24, 2012
mtv kid wrote:
Glad they are back in school have alot of wild/crazy kids on my road. My car was broken into this summer.
The pitiful excuses for teachers in Fluvanna have taught the kids nothing but to be criminals and thugs. They have no skills so they turn to crime.
Teachers Union Thugs

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Aug 30, 2012
State takeover wrote:
With all the bullying, fights, assaults, theft, inept teachers, basement test scores, and overspending on unneeded schools, with contracts going to the relatives of teachers, why hasn't the state taken over Fluvanna's failed schools?
The unions are too powerful!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr SNYB 131,558
McCandless: City faces enrollment, school choic... 4 hr pOlLYaNnA 11
Principal accused of taking test for student 5 hr Guest 2
Iran nuke talks stalled, despite Kerry efforts 12 hr Richard_ C 1
Gettysburg considers school resource officer 14 hr Hold on a second 7
Six Lehigh Valley schools get $25,000 grants to... 16 hr silly rabbit 1
STARNES: Tennessee school's Nation of Islam han... 20 hr True 24

Education Etc. People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE