Students in Montebello receive wirele...

Students in Montebello receive wireless laptops as part of $7 million technology plan

There are 1 comment on the Whittier Daily News story from Mar 1, 2013, titled Students in Montebello receive wireless laptops as part of $7 million technology plan. In it, Whittier Daily News reports that:

Students at La Merced Elementary School on Friday received a learning tool that will not only make their studies easier, but open doors to a world outside their community.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Whittier Daily News.

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Since: Sep 08

Montebello, CA

#1 Mar 1, 2013
I remember when I was at La Merced Elementary when Norm Kirschenbaum was vice principal under principal Goodman. I was chastized for bringing my slide rule to class because it was considered 'cheating' on my multiplication and division exercises.

When I went to Montebello High School, I was the first one to bring a $99.99 calculator (that had to be assembled from a kit and soldered) to my algebra class, and the teacher was insensed and told us that these 'gadgets' would keep us from understanding mathematics and retard our education.

It was a year before grudging acceptance of calculators became district policy. How things have changed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr kelly 156,425
News Proposal to move Saltsburg students to Blairsvi... (Feb '15) 4 hr trumpaintnobigotha 123
News Uniqueness of autism is celebrated (May '14) 20 hr UNMATRIXED 4
News San Francisco schools sent more than 50,000 par... Thu tomin cali 7
News Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) Thu Zhana 683
News Dr. Joseph Joyner named next Flagler College pr... Thu Nochange 1
Applied Multivariate Statistical Analysis 6th s... (Jul '10) Wed kkdsfdf 23
More from around the web