School bus

School bus

There are 48 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Dec 2, 2008, titled School bus. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

Despite a lengthy waiting list, more parents of Pittsfield Public School children continue to apply for tickets so their sons and daughters can ride the buses.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
concerned

AOL

#1 Dec 2, 2008
the whole bus issue thing is a big joke it not first come first serve its favorism and bassed on who you know and who works within the company there are high school kids riding the bus because its getting cold out and its walking distance so why cant my kids get on the bus we are in the same area certain people get treated better than others its just not fair maybe everyone should stop and think and just treat everyone equal
Jane Taxpayer

West Stockbridge, MA

#2 Dec 2, 2008
It serves you right.If you people still can not see that a private bus company is better and cost less that so be it. The majority of school districts use private contractors and it is for one reason. It cost less. Pittsfield buses are kept on rented property,there are several bosses and they all have a company car,the drivers have a pension and the same costly insurance as the teachers have.If another bus was needed a private contractor would have it on the road next day.
charles

Northville, NY

#3 Dec 2, 2008
when i was in school,you had to be a certain amount of miles from the school in order to get a ride to school from the bus.for instance,i went to pontoosuc school grades 1-4,then this business bought and moved in.so i finished my grammer school at highland school over on highland ave.so highland school was a real long walk to it.so there i was in 5th grade and i got on the bus at the top of my street and got a ride on the bus each day to highland school.but after highland,i went to reid middle school.i would probably say highland school and reid middle school are about the same distances from my house,but they still made me walk to reid while i had a ride on the bus to highland.but as soon as i was going to taconic highschool,then i got bus rides each day.the bus driver had a real easy route that i was on when i got picked up each day.i remember the buses used to be parked over on peck road in this parking lot,but i noticed awhile back that they got the buses in this parking area over on merril road.
Dirk Diggler

Albany, NY

#4 Dec 2, 2008
Same school as last year, same bus route, bus still drives in front of my house where it picked up the kids, & it looks like the same bus driver. Not good enough this year. New bus stop is several blocks away for same kids who are now second graders. Who ever made up this years schedule is surely a genius who doesn't have elementary school age children. Let's change the route and drive right by those little ones. Who cares if they have to walk for 10 minutes? Maybe I'll hit the horn on the way by her house too! Don't worry Pittsfield is a safe community where 2nd graders can walk around by them selves after school. It'll probably be the usual 1/2 day of school anyway. I'm thinking of tipping the driver $50 to make the extra 1.5 minute stop like he did last last year.
Buses as babysitters

Adams, MA

#5 Dec 2, 2008
"The parents had said in September that their work schedules prevent them from driving their children to school, and for safety reasons they would pay to have their sons and daughters ride the bus rather than walk to school."
Are you kidding me? It sounds like these parents want to take the cheap way out and not pay for care for their children in the morning. There are plenty of programs in Pittsfield that offer before/after school care and will even bring the children to school. My family lives a block away from my childrens school, and I have to be to work at 7:30 a.m. They are in a morning program for this very reason. Funny, I never even considered the bus option. It would probably save me tons of $$$$$$$$$$ Anyway, every child who live 2+ miles away from there school should be bussed no matter what grade they're in. If they stopped providing this service for the higher grades can you imagine the truancy rate? I am sure the school committee would not want a huge black mark like that!
Remark-Lenox

Albany, NY

#6 Dec 2, 2008
I am unsure when this started but in my mind the issues involving Piitsfield School Buses should be up for a special award. There seems to be an inordinate amount of news coverage which has to consume gallons of printer's ink and many hours of air time. To perpetuate this phenonenon may I suggest as possible issues;
> When to Simonize older buses.
>How to arrange creative schedules to save on gas.
>Driver training to establish a driver, spare pool.
>Similar to fire apparatus the possible change of bus color to flourescent yellow.
>Discipline aboard a bus.
>How Eagle Scouts can help aboard the bus.
>Development of a commitee to identify and address school bus issues.

Since: May 08

United States

#7 Dec 2, 2008
Why do the busses stop at every house with children?
I see busses stopping for two children on one side of my house,then they stop for my other neighbors kids on the other side of my house!
Why can't the kids at least walk a quarter mile to a group stop?
Sara

Schenectady, NY

#8 Dec 2, 2008
See, here is the thing. My son takes a bus. Not to school but from school to afterschool care. I live very close but his afterschool is 5 miles away. He is only 5 so there is some priority there.
Pastor

Greenfield, MA

#9 Dec 2, 2008
I use to walk two miles to school with loafers on
during the winter months.The obese kids AND THEIR PARENTS need the exercise!
joy

Adams, MA

#10 Dec 2, 2008
Why are kids on Weller Avenue being bussed, free of charge to Taconic, when kids off of Springside Avenue have to walk?
AngelaMR

East Woodstock, CT

#11 Dec 2, 2008
Sara wrote:
See, here is the thing. My son takes a bus. Not to school but from school to afterschool care. I live very close but his afterschool is 5 miles away. He is only 5 so there is some priority there.
I agree completely. How can anyone expect a 5 year old kindergarten student (I have one myself) to walk to school? You'd have to be stupid (or never had children) to think it's okay to send a small child walking to school for the 1.5 miles or whatever is considered acceptable walking distance. My son is school choice and is not even eligible for a free bus ride even though we live a couple miles away from school and I accept that, but it is unreasonable for the City to expect parents of young elementary school kids to let them walk to school alone and you can't expect all parents to have the $$ for beforeschool care or be available at 8:30 to drop the kids off everyday. If the private bus company is more affordable as someone mentioned above, then it is worth looking into. I would hate recommending shutting down the public school bus program and thus leaving many people out of work, but this is about our children and they really should be our first priority.

Since: May 08

United States

#12 Dec 2, 2008
Shut down the Public school bus system!
Twopoint Five

Granby, MA

#13 Dec 2, 2008
If these parents are so adamant about their kids not walking, there are several taxi and livery companies in town. They could band together by neighborhood and split the cost. The days of getting somthing for nothing are over.

Since: Apr 08

Springfield, MA

#14 Dec 2, 2008
some of these soccer moms with SUV's could earn some gas money buy adding a couple kids to their route. the school could provide a match service.
bright bulb

Springfield, MA

#15 Dec 2, 2008
Why can't the grammar school teachers pick up the kids in their classes. They might only have to make 6 or 7 trips if the kids sit on each others laps. During flu season they might get away with 4 or 5 trips. They could still have weekends off for gods sake.
Sgt The Devil Dog

Syracuse, NY

#16 Dec 2, 2008
Make them all run 5 mile to school everyday and have them do some pushups too and Stop babying the kids.
Uncle Fester

West Stockbridge, MA

#17 Dec 2, 2008
ramdan wrote:
Shut down the Public school bus system!

Remember now. We are dealing with a lot of liberals and liberals know that the government is responsible for everything.Even bringing kids to school which it seems to have a problem doing. PRIVATIZE NOW !
Private

Watervliet, NY

#18 Dec 2, 2008
Sgt The Devil Dog wrote:
Make them all run 5 mile to school everyday and have them do some pushups too and Stop babying the kids.
sir oorah sir
Disgusted

United States

#19 Dec 2, 2008
I have 3 kids, and only 1 is eligible for bussing. I have to be at work at 7 before school even starts, so they end up being early. Otherwise, they will be walking 2-4 miles to school everyday, and what parent in their right mind is going to make a child do that in the winter? Not everyone can afford to pay for busing! It's ridiculous the way this so-called "system" works.
Truckdriver

Watervliet, NY

#20 Dec 2, 2008
Will someone please get some cheese for these people to have with their whine. There are young men and women in third world countries that walk ten plus miles a day jsut for the priveledge of receiving an education. Grow up people, be thatnkful for what you have and work with it. The world does not owe you anything.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 53 min Bill McReal 163,327
News Forgotten war plaque finds home (Nov '11) 3 hr Less we forget 22
News Teacher in Alleged Sex Assault Gets Court Date (May '13) 8 hr silly rabbit 9
News A girl waves a Mexican flag during rallies in L... (Mar '06) 13 hr NKOTBLOCC 4,544
News Rapid City principal kept duffle bag with 'cont... Sun Eddie D 1
News A dose of brutal honesty for Tacoma schools (Sep '09) Sun gritmyass 14
News `Black history is everyone's history' Sun Beasts of the Field 32
More from around the web