1 student killed, 2 injured in crash

1 student killed, 2 injured in crash

There are 180 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Apr 21, 2007, titled 1 student killed, 2 injured in crash. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Two New Palestine High School students remained in an Indianapolis hospital late Saturday following a traffic crash that claimed the life of their friend and schoolmate.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Steve McDowell

United States

#23 Apr 22, 2007
We can only pray for those of you that have chosen to make nasty comments at a time of pain and sorrow. "Judge not least ye be judged"; " Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

We pray for the families of this tragic accident and will miss our nephew Kevin.

Your aunt and uncle in South Carolina
jake

United States

#24 Apr 22, 2007
kevin webber was my best friend the only good friend i had in newpal, the one person i could call on no matter what, he was the only person that could look past my tattoos and flaws and still call me his brother. he was soo close to our family ive cryd day in and day out over his death. i lost a best friend and a brother. my prayers go out for his family,cory his family,and the jones family.
New Pal Mom

Indianapolis, IN

#25 Apr 22, 2007
May God be with the New Pal kids and Kevin's family. So tragic on Prom weekend and a month before graduation. My daughter has been in school with Kevin since kindergarten. Lord, please give strength to his family, friends and our community.
Jesse

San Francisco, CA

#26 Apr 22, 2007
The Rest of the Story wrote:
Kids don't know how to drive, never have, never will. They're all accidents waiting to happen.
How dare you even say that. Kevin was one of my friends he was more like a brother and in this time of grief all you can do is be a jerk.We all loved Kevin and he will be missed forever
NP senior

Covington, KY

#27 Apr 22, 2007
RIP Kevin I'll never forget you!
zosimo

United States

#28 Apr 22, 2007
it may not be appropriate to bring this subject up at this occassion, but i think its insanity to allow a 17(also a 16 year old)year old to drive a car.
my child would never be allowed to get in any car driven by a 17 year old.
the parents to allow this young person to be driving past midnite will have to live with this decision to do so unfortunately. only bad things happen to young people(late teens, early 20s)when out past midnite. a 17 year old is to damn immature to even begin to think of the danger that comes with driving a car specially when in a car with a 16 year old and 18 year old.
may his friends but espically the friends parents learn from this sad event.
Ani

Rushville, IN

#29 Apr 22, 2007
Such a Waste wrote:
Think of all the years of love, sacrifice, and (least of importance, but still a viable thought) money that were invested in raising these kids. The future that Kevin was set to enter, potential greatness, gone. Also, surviving an accident such as this does not necessarily mean "in pre-accident condition". These survivors may face a lifetime of disability, pain, even guilt. I'll pray for them, and for Kevin, that somthing good may come of this senseless tragedy.
These kids' lives have not been wasted. Kevin may not be alive, but that does not constitute a waste. You will also die one day, but hopefully your life will not be said to be wasted. The value of life is not based on its length, but its impact. People don't start living once they finish high school or college or once they get a job or start a family. Children impact those around them and I'm sure that Kevin's parents are happy for every moment they had with their son. They would sacrifice, love, and spend the money again in a minute.
Also, please do not say that the other teenagers that have been injured in this accident have a wasted life because it may change now. It is up to those students as to whether that change will be good or bad.
"Waste" is a big word. Be careful with it.
Okay

Rushville, IN

#30 Apr 22, 2007
zosimo wrote:
it may not be appropriate to bring this subject up at this occassion, but i think its insanity to allow a 17(also a 16 year old)year old to drive a car.
the parents to allow this young person to be driving past midnite will have to live with this decision to do so unfortunately. only bad things happen to young people(late teens, early 20s)when out past midnite. a 17 year old is to damn immature to even begin to think of the danger that comes with driving a car specially when in a car with a 16 year old and 18 year old.
I agree. This is an inappropriate place to post this thought.
Parents and friends are grieving and you have just made sure you knew what they should not have done...I think they already have thought over the night and what they would have done differently.
At 17 parents start to let their children have some freedom...and they should. If they don't they will still be children when they leave home. Not ready to make choices on their own.
Yes. Maybe different choices could have been made, but don't pretend you're going to keep all 16-24 year olds home after 10 pm. Also, just to be clear, it was before midnight.
Jake

United States

#31 Apr 22, 2007
Cory Suits is a senior, not a junior.

“a girl with opinions”

Since: Apr 07

United States

#32 Apr 22, 2007
zosimo wrote:
wow you are really dumb. Only bad things happen to young people when out past midnight. lol. I'm 20 years old and I've been out past midnight plenty of times and I've not been in any accidents that late at night. I've been the driver in 4 accidents (don't think this proves your point about young people not being allowed to drive because none of them were my fault). They were all in the daylight. Bad things can happen to anyone of any age at any time. Adults can wreck past midnight. Adults can be bad drivers. I don't know how old your kid is but my guess is when they turn 16-17 they'll be driving and riding in cars with their friends. They will probably get in cars with their friends whether you know it or not. 16 years old can be very mature and very capable of driving a car, don't make assumptions about an entire age group based on the actions of a few. We don't even know what happened to make this kid lose control of his car. Smarten up, please.
Matt in New Pal

Louisville, KY

#33 Apr 22, 2007
zosimo wrote:
I live on 100 S, and witnessed the accident, and was one of the first on the scene. It happened at 11:22 pm. Yes, speed was a factor, but for those saying such awful things, I really doubt you have NEVER sped down a country road before. We all have. Unfortunately, it ended tragically. If you saw what I did, you would not find this the appropriate time or place to post such snide and nasty comments...
American Made

Rockford, IL

#34 Apr 22, 2007
Spot on Devil Dog! God be with the families and friends of these kids.
Semperfi wrote:
To: Rest of the Story Poster
Reply: You were/are a kid once too. IF you're an adult I can only gather from your post that you:(1) don't drive,(2) never went through childhood or teenage years and somehow were BORN with the ability to drive and drive well, or (3) are a moron. Which is it?
Read please

Fort Wayne, IN

#35 Apr 22, 2007
zosimo wrote:
Read please -- it was not past Midnight and this boy was a responsible person. How dare you dog his parents.
STOP IT

Covington, KY

#36 Apr 22, 2007
Realist wrote:
<quoted text>
If it was God calling him home, why did he have to smash him into a tree first? Your fairy tales don't help. Get real.
Go and lurk somewhere else and leave this board to those posting messages of inspiration and hope to the families. Our prayers are with them all.
New Palestine Family

Covington, KY

#37 Apr 22, 2007
I'm sure I speak for the entire town of New Pal when I say how much we are all hurting over this tragedy. Our heartfelt condolences to the Webber Family. To the Jones and Suits Families, may you find strength in the coming days to be focused on a full recovery for both Amanda and Corey. Lean on your friends and neighbors and know that the entire community has you lifted in prayers!

Since: Feb 07

On your PC screen

#39 Apr 22, 2007
Matt in New Pal wrote:
<quoted text>
I live on 100 S, and witnessed the accident, and was one of the first on the scene. It happened at 11:22 pm. Yes, speed was a factor, but for those saying such awful things, I really doubt you have NEVER sped down a country road before. We all have. Unfortunately, it ended tragically. If you saw what I did, you would not find this the appropriate time or place to post such snide and nasty comments...
Please make sure you are taking the steps to deal with the situation in which you witnessed and the results that you had to see. PTSS can occur in those that just witnessed such a tragedy.

Stay strong and make sure you have a support person to talk to hun!
Allison

San Francisco, CA

#41 Apr 22, 2007
i to go to school with kevin,cory, and madi, and it sucks to get the phone call from one of your friends to hear that one of your close friends has died. my cousin was best friends with him and my best friend was his girlfriend it is hard for me to have to see my family and my friend go through so much pain. all i can keep telling them is that i will be strong for them no matter what. i just want people to understand that every kid has tried new things in there life and i believe that he was just trying somthing new. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family and all of my friends and other students at my school(New Palestine High School). Cory and Madi be strong and we will all pray for you...
WhaDaFug

Des Moines, IA

#42 Apr 22, 2007
Semperfi wrote:
To: Rest of the Story Poster
Reply: You were/are a kid once too. IF you're an adult I can only gather from your post that you:(1) don't drive,(2) never went through childhood or teenage years and somehow were BORN with the ability to drive and drive well, or (3) are a moron. Which is it?
(3), Just like "realist..."
wes

West Newton, IN

#43 Apr 22, 2007
i remember being a young driver and the temptations that come with it. Impressing friends and acting foolish even though you dont realize it.
I think the driving age should be increased to 21 in order to allow more maturity to develop and hopefully avoid more accidents
Brittany

San Francisco, CA

#44 Apr 22, 2007
(1) Whoever asked if the tree was ok, thats really not something that I personally am worried about, I think that was a rude comment and it could've been kept to yourself.
(2) I am really just sick of people talking about the driving age should be different. Yeah I somewhat agree but lets move on from that and focus on the sorrow of Kevin. The driving age is 16 and we are just going to have to deal with it. I know there are some 25 year olds that can't drive. Think about it.
(3) leave your negative comments to yourself. They are not needed at this time.
(4) The comment made about god crashing Kevin into the tree before he died, well god did call Kevin up to heaven but in no way shape or form was god making Kevin drive at such speeds. God didn't purposely make the car smash into the tree.
(5) If your going to comment about the accident, know your facts.(the person who decided to say that the accident happened after midnight)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr so true 147,280
News 10 Signs Religious Fundamentalism Is in Decline (Jan '14) 4 hr thetruth 110
News Troy Field Future Decided Feb. 24 21 hr PAMALA 1
News Warren High School Teacher Arrested for Having ... (Jun '15) 23 hr PayDoe 19
News Fairfield's Delta Program helps challenged kids (Sep '10) Thu IJohnson 7
News Harney County's true patriot; boosting PERS bur... Thu corrupt-tiny-texa... 1
News Black students disproportionately suspended in ... Wed Dysfunction 45
More from around the web