Neighbor districts not welcoming Duqu...

Neighbor districts not welcoming Duquesne

There are 141 comments on the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review story from Apr 25, 2007, titled Neighbor districts not welcoming Duquesne. In it, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that:

“I don't see how we could handle anything else”

Duquesne City Schools Director Mark Nemerovsky is convinced that students in his district will be attending classes somewhere else next year. via Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Dr Izin

Haines City, FL

#1 Apr 27, 2007
It's a sad day when education administrators from several neighboring public school districts and state legislators can not develop ways to integrate a few hundred students each. What ever happened to professional thinking and problem-solving? Are the Duquesne kids just unwanted hot potatoes?
The responses from neighboring school district directors received by the Duquesne City Schools are unacceptable. The situation requires an immediate task force for creating a concrete plan of action. Get the PA Governor and the legistature involved now if local educators and politicians are strategically stumped and handcuffed by a lack of adequate local tax funding.
Was that so hard?
Steve

Pittsburgh, PA

#2 May 20, 2007
I had a family member that used to work in Duquesne High School and from what I hear about that school, I would never support letting any of the students from that school into a school I was involved in. Those students have no respect for any authority figures, use profanty in their normal language with no reguards or cares who hears them. Fights and violence in the school happens daily. Along with the lowest test scores in any school in the state. The students from Duquesne need to be given an enterance test by the school forced to accept them. A test that is given to all the students of that school. Failure will prohibit adminance.
Brad

United States

#3 May 21, 2007
Nobody wants the problem that comes with the kids in Duquesne. It's not the kids who are the problem if you ask me. It's the parents and the environment the kids come from.
Keep them in their own area, we don't want them in our schools anyhow.
Daryl

Baltimore, MD

#4 May 23, 2007
How is it that the state of Pennsylvania has more prisons than schools? The Duquesne school district would not be in this predicament if all the big wigs would not keep steeling all the tax money.
Lil Squirel

Burgettstown, PA

#5 May 26, 2007
Duquesne school system that has failed the general population for years.The kids are from an uneducated ignorant group of parents.trust me I live in Duquesne.The children are not raised and unwilling to learn.Half of them can't even read.It's sad but the other school districts do not have the capacity to teach them what they already should have learned
eddie

Saltsburg, PA

#6 May 27, 2007
I wouldn't want any of these thugs in my school district. I see these kids walking down the street, pants falling down, hats on sideways, half or more than half are already parents themeslves.
What do you do with the kids? I honestly don't know. How 'bout getting back to the basics? PARENTS, RAISE YOUR KIDS!!!! I am sick of this crap, "It takes a village to raise a child..." How about everyone take responsibility for your children & what goes on under your roof? I am in the McKeesport Area School District, and I have nothing but good to say about the teachers, the Administrators, the kids. Though the city of McKeesport gets a bad rap at times, the school is a class act. I wouldn't want these kids to go there. Maybe they'll be ready for jail soon?
Lil Squirel wrote:
Duquesne school system that has failed the general population for years.The kids are from an uneducated ignorant group of parents.trust me I live in Duquesne.The children are not raised and unwilling to learn.Half of them can't even read.It's sad but the other school districts do not have the capacity to teach them what they already should have learned
parkmom

Ambridge, PA

#7 May 31, 2007
I'm a parent of 4 children attending the Steel Valley School District and I'm hearing we are on the hot seat to receive these students. I'm sorry - I know these kids need to go to school somewhere and have the right to an education - I have no problems with the ones who want an education - but unfortunately they are in the minority. We have our own problems - our middle school students are horrible and we are trying to get a handle on that - then that moves onto the High School. Our School Board doesn't seem to understand the meaning of a budget and they are talking about raising our taxes by 2.3 mils (about $1500 for me) - we are 2.5 million dollars short of what our budget needs to be and now we may have to educate the Duquesne students, too. Give me a break - we need to clean up our own house before we can provide a foster environment for anyone.....
McKEESPORT MEDIC

Monroeville, PA

#8 Jun 1, 2007
KEEP THOSE S**T BAGS IN DUQESNE !!!
JUST WHAT WE NEED MORE CRIMINALS

Since: May 07

Ambridge, PA

#9 Jun 1, 2007
I have another problem with taking in the Duquesne students - since Steel Valley is in a financial "emergency" - the school board has put on the table to cut back on security in our buildings - that cannot happen if we are taking in these students - there's always been a rival between SV and Duquesne - also - while the school district will be reimbursed via tuition for these students - who will reimburse the Borough of Munhall for the increased number of police and fire response to the high school - it's gonna happen. Also - SV doesn't bus their students - we aren't large enough mileage wide for the state to mandate bussing - who is going to bus these students into the district? If SV pays to bus these students - I believe they are then required by state law to bus our district as well. We have a kindergarten "shuttle" bus that brings the little ones from Homestead and the little ones from our other elementary school to the Kindergarten building - it costs the district $20,000 a year for 6 stops a day - this shuttle was on the chopping block for a budget cut which also included closing our Kindergarten building and moving those students into their respective elementary schools (which do not have the adequate space). So what do we do.... I know these kids have to be schooled - I wish I knew the answers.... I would never want to be the one who stood in the way of even 1 child who really wanted to better themselves.
tammy

United States

#10 Jun 1, 2007
ABOUT 6 YEARS AGO I RENTED A HOUSE OVER THE PHONE THROUGH A REAL ESTATE COMPANY. I WILL NOT SAY THEIR NAME BUT THEY ARE LOCATED ON GRANT STREET IN DUQUESNE. THIS LADY PROMISED ME THAT THIS LOCATION WAS A GOOD PLACE TO RAISE CHILDREN, LOW CRIME, ECT. NEVER DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!
I TOOK THE DEAL. IT WAS A GOOD DEAL. TO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!! WE TRAVELED 18 HOURS FROM NORTH CAROLINA AND YOU CAN IMAGINE MY SURPRISE WHEN WE LANDED ON NORTH SECOND ST. IN DUQUESNE. WE WERE THERE ONE NIGHT AND A YOUNG BOY WAS KILLED IN THE ALLEY BEHIND OUR HOUSE. A FEW DAYS AFTER I ENROLLED MY KIDS IN SCHOOL, MY SON, WHO WAS IN FIRST GRADE AT THE TIME WAS CHASED HOME BY, COUNT THEM, AT LEAST 20 OF THOSE PEOPLE. I TRY REAL HARD TO GIVE RESPECT WHERE RESPECT IS DUE. BUT THERE IS NO HOPE FOR THOSE PEOPLE. BY THE TIME I COULD FIND ANOTHER PLACE TO MOVE TO, MANY PEOPLE HAD LOST THERE LIVES AND THE SAD THING IS THE PARENTS DO NOT CARE. THEY ARE NOT HOME TO SUPERVISE THEIR CHILDREN. THE PARENTS ARE HOOKED ON DRUGS THEMSELVES. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A PLACE LIKE THIS. IT IS BEYOND WORDS. THE ONLY HOPE FOR THESE CHILDREN IS UNFORTUNATELY, TO REMOVE THE ELEMENT. IN THIS CASE THE ELEMENT THEM. THEY HAVE HAD TO LIVE LIKE THIS FOR SO LONG THAT THEY DO NOT KNOW ANY OTHER WAY TO BE. ITS SAD THAT THEIR PARENTS HAVE FAILED THEM. WHATS EVEN WORSE IS THAT THEY BLAME US. AFTER ALL IF YOU ARE WHITE AND YOU LIVE IN DUQUESNE YOU ARE THE MINORITY. YOU CAN'T HELP SOMEONE THAT DOES NOT WANT TO BE HELPED. THIS IS THEIR WAY OF LIFE AND THEY ACCEPT THAT.
eddie

Pittsburgh, PA

#11 Jun 2, 2007
Tammy,

Well said... Though I personally would never rent/ buy something without seeing it first. We all learn the hard way.These people think we owe them something. The majority of their parents ( I use that term loosely ) don't work. These kids are thugs and probably don't even know who their dads are. Hell, you don't even have to worry about them reading these posts because they can't read and they probably spend all of their (actually our) money on drugs and not computers. I don't know where you came from in North Carolina that it took you 18 hours to get here, but, you were in a better place. Duquesne is horrible, it looks like Baghdad.
tammy wrote:
ABOUT 6 YEARS AGO I RENTED A HOUSE OVER THE PHONE THROUGH A REAL ESTATE COMPANY. I WILL NOT SAY THEIR NAME BUT THEY ARE LOCATED ON GRANT STREET IN DUQUESNE. THIS LADY PROMISED ME THAT THIS LOCATION WAS A GOOD PLACE TO RAISE CHILDREN, LOW CRIME, ECT. NEVER DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!
I TOOK THE DEAL. IT WAS A GOOD DEAL. TO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!! WE TRAVELED 18 HOURS FROM NORTH CAROLINA AND YOU CAN IMAGINE MY SURPRISE WHEN WE LANDED ON NORTH SECOND ST. IN DUQUESNE. WE WERE THERE ONE NIGHT AND A YOUNG BOY WAS KILLED IN THE ALLEY BEHIND OUR HOUSE. A FEW DAYS AFTER I ENROLLED MY KIDS IN SCHOOL, MY SON, WHO WAS IN FIRST GRADE AT THE TIME WAS CHASED HOME BY, COUNT THEM, AT LEAST 20 OF THOSE PEOPLE. I TRY REAL HARD TO GIVE RESPECT WHERE RESPECT IS DUE. BUT THERE IS NO HOPE FOR THOSE PEOPLE. BY THE TIME I COULD FIND ANOTHER PLACE TO MOVE TO, MANY PEOPLE HAD LOST THERE LIVES AND THE SAD THING IS THE PARENTS DO NOT CARE. THEY ARE NOT HOME TO SUPERVISE THEIR CHILDREN. THE PARENTS ARE HOOKED ON DRUGS THEMSELVES. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A PLACE LIKE THIS. IT IS BEYOND WORDS. THE ONLY HOPE FOR THESE CHILDREN IS UNFORTUNATELY, TO REMOVE THE ELEMENT. IN THIS CASE THE ELEMENT THEM. THEY HAVE HAD TO LIVE LIKE THIS FOR SO LONG THAT THEY DO NOT KNOW ANY OTHER WAY TO BE. ITS SAD THAT THEIR PARENTS HAVE FAILED THEM. WHATS EVEN WORSE IS THAT THEY BLAME US. AFTER ALL IF YOU ARE WHITE AND YOU LIVE IN DUQUESNE YOU ARE THE MINORITY. YOU CAN'T HELP SOMEONE THAT DOES NOT WANT TO BE HELPED. THIS IS THEIR WAY OF LIFE AND THEY ACCEPT THAT.
Doogie - Ohio

Conneaut, OH

#12 Jun 2, 2007
I cry when I read these comments about my hometown and my schools. I graduated in 1965 and had a diversity in our classes. My classmate and I had parents who were concerned about us and worked hard in the steel mills to get us a decent education and to move out of Duquesne. I realize where my Dad was coming from; But, I also know that I and my classmates let our town and school down by using our skills and education to move out and get good jobs. I apologize to Duquesne for leaving and taking my talent elsewhere. some of us should have broke our parents wishes and stayed to become leaders in the city and school district. The solution might be to tear down Duquesne bulodozed it over and turn it back to nature as it was 280years ago. It would be beatiful and pure once again.
Junior

United States

#13 Jun 5, 2007
At least when we go to Kennywood from Pittsburgh, we don't even have to drive through Duquesne.
lil squirl

Auburn Hills, MI

#14 Jun 5, 2007
Junior wrote:
At least when we go to Kennywood from Pittsburgh, we don't even have to drive through Duquesne.
i like duquesne your probly from there now your to good for the hood..........
Lil Squirel

Indiana, PA

#15 Jun 6, 2007
Hooray!!!!1 They are finally shutting it down.maybe those children have a chance to brighten up s---plat usa.They might have a chance to elevate this rundown hole of a neighborhood.I will be glad when we move to Munhall.It's not a black or white thing because I am Black.You would have to live here to understand
PGH

United States

#16 Jun 6, 2007
So, the board of control voted to close the high school. This is just the start of something much larger. I believe that members of the larger community (West Mifflin, McKeesport, etc.) are going to fight whatever decision the state makes, given Zahorchak is given the legislative power he needs. I think this is going to get very ugly.
Steve

Pittsburgh, PA

#17 Jun 6, 2007
the only thing I can say about the mills closing that has to do with this topic is when they closed and all/most of the mill workers moved away. all those apartments orignally made for mill workers were turned into low-income housing "the projectS". Low-income is the nice way to say Poor. to make the point clear, do a google search: "poorest country in the world". then do another search with the answer you get and "crime rates".. if you dont feel like searching, here is a hint: remember the movie "Black Hawk Down"? It is a proven fact that poor and crime are two closely related words. I would not feel sorry for duquesne if you left when the mills closed. that means you left to find WORK. who can blame you for the city's problems today? When the mills were torn down, they should have torn down the workers apartments as well. Dequesne would be a differnt city today, that I am 100% sure
Lil Squirel

Indiana, PA

#18 Jun 6, 2007
People r not paying property tax in Duquesne.No Tax no school tax no money.go figure.Anyway i belive the choice for schools are steel valley and woodland hills.maybe west mifflin.But they are going to split them between 2 schools.Have to go.bye-bye
Junior

United States

#19 Jun 7, 2007
Didn't west mifflin just get sued by kennywood for big bucks? Maybe if they don't take the little dukies they'll get sued for that too!
Lil Squirel

Irwin, PA

#20 Jun 7, 2007
Doogie - Ohio wrote:
I cry when I read these comments about my hometown and my schools. I graduated in 1965 and had a diversity in our classes. My classmate and I had parents who were concerned about us and worked hard in the steel mills to get us a decent education and to move out of Duquesne. I realize where my Dad was coming from; But, I also know that I and my classmates let our town and school down by using our skills and education to move out and get good jobs. I apologize to Duquesne for leaving and taking my talent elsewhere. some of us should have broke our parents wishes and stayed to become leaders in the city and school district. The solution might be to tear down Duquesne bulodozed it over and turn it back to nature as it was 280years ago. It would be beatiful and pure once again.
That was then when people had jobs and values.That IS NOT the situation now.If you came here you would see exactly what I'm talking about

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Report: LGBT students face discrimination at US... 33 min Frogface Kate 11
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 35 min ChromiuMan 156,587
News Proposal to move Saltsburg students to Blairsvi... (Feb '15) 59 min Aviation Nut 134
News All-gender washrooms in schools raises question... 1 hr Ellison ISIS Muslim 11
News Wichita should innovate, launch charter schools 11 hr Cakes4170 3
News Analysis: Did the PC police go too far this tim... 23 hr ZIO-DARK WEB 1
News Surgeon General sounds the alarm on teens and e... Thu Honesty 1
More from around the web