Superintendent Marvin Williams to retire Nov. 30

Aug 7, 2012 Full story: Cedartown Standard Plus 28

Superintendent Williams poses in the central office in Cedartown. Williams presented a letter of resignation to the school board during Tuesday night's community input meeting The end of an era for the Polk School District was announced during the community input session Tuesday night.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
resident

Marietta, GA

#1 Aug 7, 2012
About damned time!!!
tomck

Cedartown, GA

#2 Aug 8, 2012
He has treated that office like a communist dictatorship for far too long. He was the main one behind the dress code garbage, and has run more business prospects out of Polk Co than the commissioners could of they'd tried. Good riddance I say.
sorry

Rome, GA

#3 Aug 9, 2012
mr. williams was always fair to the students and tried to do the right thing ...sorry to see him leave
just sayin

Rome, GA

#4 Aug 9, 2012
sorry wrote:
mr. williams was always fair to the students and tried to do the right thing ...sorry to see him leave
or so he seemed
Polk County Mom

Marietta, GA

#5 Aug 10, 2012
sorry wrote:
Have you lost your mind? What color is the sky in YOUR universe?
goodriddance

Cedartown, GA

#6 Aug 10, 2012
I know the admins at PSD are beyond ecstatic with his retirement announced , of course they will not comment until after he leaves.
bluerain

Cedartown, GA

#7 Aug 12, 2012
He helped my nephew graduate so I am thankful for that.
newcomer

Rome, GA

#8 Aug 12, 2012
bluerain wrote:
He helped my nephew graduate so I am thankful for that.
Wow! Isn't that the job of anyone who works for the school system?

How many kids have dropped out of PSD though? I've heard LOTS!
THE FACT BOY

Cedartown, GA

#9 Aug 12, 2012
Polk County Schools and Polk County Government are 20 years behind the time and they will never catch up until they get rid of the good ole boys. They had a chance in the commissioners race and blew it. I think they will blow it in the school board race. Good luck to our school system in the future. Our government is gone for the next 4 years.
Polk mom

Rome, GA

#10 Aug 12, 2012
THE FACT BOY wrote:
Polk County Schools and Polk County Government are 20 years behind the time .... I think they will blow it in the school board race. Good luck to our school system in the future. Our government is gone for the next 4 years.
Step up if you feel we need better candidates!
THE FACT BOY

Cedartown, GA

#11 Aug 12, 2012
Polk mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Step up if you feel we need better candidates!
Why should I step up, you had one of the best candidate for commissioner that I have seen in 18 years and because he would not make deals ,he was not elected. He was honest and told it the way it was and would not lie to the voters. He was very well educated and had plenty of common sense but not one of the good ole boys. The vol. fire dept. wanted many new things and got one of the candidate to agree with them for their votes. Let see if Mr. Barber honor his promises. The employees wanted a pay rais and Mr. Barber also agreed with this request. Let see if they get the 5% pay raise as Mr. Barber promised. Let see if the vol. fire dept get all of the new equippments he promised.NOW YOU SHOULD SEE WHY I WOULD NOT RUN FOR ANYTHING IN POLK COUNTY.
Polk mom

Rome, GA

#12 Aug 12, 2012
THE FACT BOY wrote:
<quoted text>Why should I step up, you had one of the best candidate for commissioner that I have seen in 18 years and because he would not make deals ,he was not elected. He was honest and told it the way it was and would not lie to the voters. He was very well educated and had plenty of common sense but not one of the good ole boys. The vol. fire dept. wanted many new things and got one of the candidate to agree with them for their votes. Let see if Mr. Barber honor his promises. The employees wanted a pay rais and Mr. Barber also agreed with this request. Let see if they get the 5% pay raise as Mr. Barber promised. Let see if the vol. fire dept get all of the new equippments he promised.NOW YOU SHOULD SEE WHY I WOULD NOT RUN FOR ANYTHING IN POLK COUNTY.
Who are you referring to?

I'll never vote for Barber
tomck

United States

#13 Aug 13, 2012
I thought this was about PSD, not the county commission. They aren't the same beast, even though they both love spending your money, and trying to regulate how you spend what little you have left.
sorry

Rome, GA

#14 Aug 13, 2012
THE FACT BOY wrote:
<quoted text> Why should I step up, you had one of the best candidate for commissioner that I have seen in 18 years and because he would not make deals ,he was not elected. He was honest and told it the way it was and would not lie to the voters. He was very well educated and had plenty of common sense but not one of the good ole boys. The vol. fire dept. wanted many new things and got one of the candidate to agree with them for their votes. Let see if Mr. Barber honor his promises. The employees wanted a pay rais and Mr. Barber also agreed with this request. Let see if they get the 5% pay raise as Mr. Barber promised. Let see if the vol. fire dept get all of the new equippments he promised.NOW YOU SHOULD SEE WHY I WOULD NOT RUN FOR ANYTHING IN POLK COUNTY.
you are off topix here please start a topix that concerns this subject
bluerain

Cedartown, GA

#15 Aug 13, 2012
newcomer wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! Isn't that the job of anyone who works for the school system?
How many kids have dropped out of PSD though? I've heard LOTS!
Yes it is and he tried to help my other Nephew when he was in middle school and Mrs Wiggins was the principal but she more or less told my Nephew he should quit. He's always been good to us.
THE FACT BOY

Cedartown, GA

#16 Aug 14, 2012
Polk mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are you referring to?
I'll never vote for Barber
I am talking about your good friend Scott
Polk mom

Rome, GA

#17 Aug 14, 2012
THE FACT BOY wrote:
<quoted text>I am talking about your good friend Scott
Scott?

Since: Aug 12

Cedartown, GA

#18 Aug 16, 2012
Mr Marvin Williams is a Godsend. Politics is so crooked and evil. I know he is always thinking about the children first. His heart is always in the right place. I have seen for myself what incredible things this man has done for struggling kids and adults as well. I dont see how any of you could bad mouth such a wonderful,giving,loving man as he is.
I hope he can relax and enjoy his life and family now. Best Wishes Mr Williams,You were appreciated by many many people.
really

Rome, GA

#19 Aug 16, 2012
dispicubleyou wrote:
Mr Marvin Williams is a Godsend. Politics is so crooked and evil. I know he is always thinking about the children first. His heart is always in the right place. I have seen for myself what incredible things this man has done for struggling kids and adults as well. I dont see how any of you could bad mouth such a wonderful,giving,loving man as he is.
I hope he can relax and enjoy his life and family now. Best Wishes Mr Williams,You were appreciated by many many people.
Heard he's resigning for another job
tomck

United States

#20 Aug 19, 2012
dispicubleyou wrote:
Hmmm you KNOW he always puts children first? Did you know how he went to CHS and chewed out several intelligent, articulate kids who had politely expressed disagreement with the dress code's newest additions?(Separate students than the type who just want to rebel for the sake of rebelling.) Basically told those kids they were making this county look bad for exercising their freedom of speech. That sounds like he puts his ego over respect and common sense, because clearly school kids have more logical reasoning than the policy makers at PSD.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 19 min Naughty SIL 132,257
Lawsuit threatened over Bible distribution at s... 1 hr Attorney 10
ACLU sues to allow gay club in Indiana school 3 hr George 108
STARNES: Tennessee school's Nation of Islam han... 6 hr True 69
Gov.-elect Tom Wolf, other leaders respond to s... 7 hr Well 3
NAACP: Meriden needs better black history lessons (Feb '14) 8 hr vietnamvet1969 7
1989: Milliken donates Santa rugs 21 hr Will Dockery 1
More from around the web