Defendants: Timing key

Defendants: Timing key

There are 98 comments on the GoErie.com story from Sep 17, 2008, titled Defendants: Timing key. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Maryann Anderson claims she was retaliated against when she tried to expose rampant spending and nepotism in the Millcreek Township School District.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
LakeShore

Waterford, PA

#1 Sep 18, 2008
Sounds like the investigation may have been underway LONG before the whistleblower suit was filed, in which case it wouldn't be a whistleblower suit. Stay tuned.
whatwhatWHAT

Erie, PA

#3 Sep 18, 2008
Am I mistaken or didn't the district conduct an investigation into Mary Ann Anderson's relationship with Bill Cobert, and then hushed it up? And now there is evidence apparently good enough to show a judge that she had or has some other kind(s)of "extramarital" affairs? Are you kidding me? And what about gift cards? It sounds like Anderson bought them with access money and that is beyond outrageous. Why is this person still employed by the school district?
sickened

Erie, PA

#4 Sep 18, 2008
its probable that nobody involved is innocent. its just the fact that our educators are teaching these practices (or how to hide them) to children. its a shame that something like this has even come to light. hopefully everyone involved gets their fair share of karma.
HarryG

Erie, PA

#5 Sep 18, 2008
sickened wrote:
its probable that nobody involved is innocent. its just the fact that our educators are teaching these practices (or how to hide them) to children. its a shame that something like this has even come to light. hopefully everyone involved gets their fair share of karma.
I could't agree more. The cost to the Millcreek taxpayer and the damage done to this fine dostrict's reputation cannot be stressed more. Congrats to all involved on a job not so well done.
Rescue Us

Pittsburgh, PA

#6 Sep 18, 2008
Can anyone tell me why Cobert is still president?
Bo Peep

Lorain, OH

#7 Sep 18, 2008
What did Anderson receive in exchange for the gift cards? The answer to this could explain many facts I'm sure.
Freddy

Erie, PA

#8 Sep 18, 2008
Bo Peep wrote:
What did Anderson receive in exchange for the gift cards? The answer to this could explain many facts I'm sure.
She thought she was buying LOYALITY...with taxpayer cash, I guess.
Whistleblower

Erie, PA

#9 Sep 18, 2008
This is what I heard happened at the Personnel Meeting on Tuesday night. This was not in Executive Session but in an open public committee meeting.

On the agenda was the approval of Department Chair for one of the departments at the high school. Cobert looked at the personnel director and asked: "Is she the one? Is she the one who...to which the personnel director noted in the affirmative. After that, Cobert goes into an emotional tirade that he is not going to approve this person because this teacher was one of the people who gave testimony in the $7,000 "Affairgate" investigation.

Scutella suggested that the recommendation move forward because that is not a reason to deny her the opportunity to serve as department chair and there is the possiblity of a law suit if they don't approve. Palermo agreed with Cobert that it didn't seem right to allow her to be chair. Bova wanted to move this forward but Cobert insisted that it NOT be put on the agenda and he didn't care who didn't like his decision, suggesting further that those who objected could "bring it on." Cobert also gave the command that the members of the hiring committee (three district administrators) who recommended this person should be told that he is "very disappointed" in their choice.

I agree with Cobert. It is time to "bring it on." I suggest the ACLU, the Ethics Commission, the MEA/PSEA, and the Millcreek School Board investigate this incident and take appropriate action. This board does not know what their role is and it is time that some government agency AND the district law firm tell them IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS. It is up to the public to hold them accountable, not just by their votes at election time, but by speaking out. This kind of intimidation must stop immediately.

PS. This incident really does qualify as a Whistleblower under the law.
What

Erie, PA

#10 Sep 18, 2008
Your saying the hiring committee and the Superintendent made a positive recommendation for a promotion that was summarily rejected by the Board President, imminent local chiropractor Bill Cobert, and his right hand man, Mike Palermo? This doesn't surprise me in the least...this is how Dr. Cobert has always operated when allowed to. I guess I wold have to ask where the MEA stands on this matter.
Mr. Chiachone, your reply, please?
Oh my

Cleveland, OH

#11 Sep 18, 2008
To echo a prior comment, Cobert is still president because.....?
3IDLT

Erie, PA

#12 Sep 18, 2008
What happened to all of Anderson and Cobert's puppets and sycophants who constantly defend them on this forum? Anyone? Crickets?
Wondering

Waterford, PA

#13 Sep 18, 2008
Reading this article makes you wonder why Anderson would move forward with this Whistleblower.
no kidding

Erie, PA

#14 Sep 19, 2008
Anderson's law suit is obviously no "Whistleblower" after all. In what I've read since this whole mess began, it seems to me that the defendants are the ones who were trying to put an end to waste and cryonism in the district after all. It really does look like Anderson's law suit was a sorry attempt to save her own behind after years of mismanagement. And how much money generated by services to special education kids did she spend to buy gift cards? Where did the gift cards all go? Did she use them for herself, too? Where are the police and investigators on this?? Isn't that a criminal offense?
Help

Waterford, PA

#15 Sep 19, 2008
I heard that under Salmon's administration, Friday afternoons in the summer time were an especially good time for gift card giving.
LakeShore

Erie, PA

#16 Sep 19, 2008
Help wrote:
I heard that under Salmon's administration, Friday afternoons in the summer time were an especially good time for gift card giving.
At least the previous board was able to rid the District of Salmon before Cobert and his cronies took over. It looks like they had Anderson in their sights too, but she used the whistleblower statutes to protect her job...temporarily anyway. Taxpayers, remember, through Cobert and his board majority of Palermo, Rastetter, Wilga and Kramer Mrs. Anderson IS RUNNING the district. Thought you'd like to know that.
bunch of bs

Erie, PA

#17 Sep 19, 2008
no kidding wrote:
Anderson's law suit is obviously no "Whistleblower" after all. In what I've read since this whole mess began, it seems to me that the defendants are the ones who were trying to put an end to waste and cryonism in the district after all. It really does look like Anderson's law suit was a sorry attempt to save her own behind after years of mismanagement. And how much money generated by services to special education kids did she spend to buy gift cards? Where did the gift cards all go? Did she use them for herself, too? Where are the police and investigators on this?? Isn't that a criminal offense?
then whyis it when the judge told the defendants to settle they refused? why is it that the judge even let it move forward if it was baseless. get yourself a copy of the complaint and responses.
RichardII

Erie, PA

#18 Sep 19, 2008
bunch of bs wrote:
<quoted text>
then whyis it when the judge told the defendants to settle they refused? why is it that the judge even let it move forward if it was baseless. get yourself a copy of the complaint and responses.
For over a year the only side to this mess was the plaintiff's. Now the other side is having their opportunity to respond and it doesn't look so black and white anymore. Besides, if there was an investigation ongoing BEFORE the suit was filed, by definition, there is no whistleblower suit.
bunch of bs

Erie, PA

#19 Sep 19, 2008
the evidence will be presented and the lies of the defendants will be proven as such. most of you do not know enough or have even seen enough to know the entire story. further the special one should not be putting anything on here as she is further incrimminating herself.
Res

Erie, PA

#20 Sep 19, 2008
bunch of bs wrote:
<quoted text>
then whyis it when the judge told the defendants to settle they refused? why is it that the judge even let it move forward if it was baseless. get yourself a copy of the complaint and responses.
He let it go forward because he did not have enough information about the claims to make a ruling. He did not know the reason that Anderson was not allowed to go to Penn State Job Fair. That is the purpose of the response. The judge let it go forward to get more information about Anderson's claims. How would the judge know these reasons until the defendants had a chance to respond.
mygoodness

Erie, PA

#22 Sep 19, 2008
Res wrote:
<quoted text>
He let it go forward because he did not have enough information about the claims to make a ruling. He did not know the reason that Anderson was not allowed to go to Penn State Job Fair. That is the purpose of the response. The judge let it go forward to get more information about Anderson's claims. How would the judge know these reasons until the defendants had a chance to respond.
That article was silly to say the least. Since when does it become the employer's job to police their employees' personal lives? Further, if she goes and does her job does it really matter who she is or is not sleeping with at night? How on Earth can a flaming homosexual be the moral epicenter of anything? Did he ask everyone who went on a conference whether or not they intended to have sex and if so if it was with their spouse? The NERVE!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 16 min Mickey402 157,952
News Proposal to move Saltsburg students to Blairsvi... (Feb '15) 1 hr Roundy K 101
News Ohio student named to Forbes 30 under 30 for en... 9 hr CAS 6
News Our Opinion: Plenty of good news throughout region 10 hr Funny Paperboys 2
News Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) 17 hr Phillip 701
News Our Opinion: Baldwyn bond vote shows strong com... Mon Paper Lies 6
News Our Opinion: Partnerships have ability to benef... Mon Partnership 6
More from around the web