Stephen Myers, former P.S.1 charter s...

Stephen Myers, former P.S.1 charter school principal: Did he molest boys, including his son?

There are 6 comments on the Denver Westword story from Aug 14, 2012, titled Stephen Myers, former P.S.1 charter school principal: Did he molest boys, including his son?. In it, Denver Westword reports that:

In 2002, we reported that former P.S.1 charter school principal Stephen Myers resigned his principal job in Massachusetts after he was accused of making inappropriate comments to a male student -- an allegation that didn't surprise his old P.S.1 colleagues.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Denver Westword.

SSM

Alameda, CA

#1 Aug 17, 2012
Steve Myers molested several boys. He denys and lies, but he is a perpetrater and has damaged many lives over many years.
Charles Hurt

Hayward, CA

#3 Nov 21, 2012
Steve has admitted to more than one person (people I know and respect) that he has had sex with underage boys.

There have been numerous clues that Steve has been doing this for some time. In my opinion, he is a pedophile, he molested me too--years earlier on a camping trip to Yosemite when I was about 12 or so.
B Smith

Cape Town, South Africa

#4 May 3, 2014
Where is he now? He fled to South Africa to teach under the name Steven Swarup. Some wise teachers figured out who he was and demanded he be fired. He left after just a few months.(Bad background check or none?) Could he still be teaching?!
Joe G

Baltimore, MD

#5 Jul 18, 2014
B Smith wrote:
Where is he now? He fled to South Africa to teach under the name Steven Swarup. Some wise teachers figured out who he was and demanded he be fired. He left after just a few months.(Bad background check or none?) Could he still be teaching?!
I can personally attest that he was teaching in South Africa and that the headmistress (Melanie Hoover) attempted to cover up the issue. She was working to give him a letter of reference in exchange for leaving the school quietly and none of the parents were going to ever find out. Thanks to a small group of dedicated teachers this all came out although he managed to escape to points unknown. As for his background check, he came in under the name Steve Swarup claiming it was given to him in an African ceremony and his background was not checked any further.

The sad thing is that many schools move people like him on quietly and then they are free to carry on their deeds at the next stop. No school wants the publicity of charging a teacher with a crime like this but there should be a responsibility. The headmistress in SA was indignant that anyone was questioning her tactics and in the end she tried to say "I didn't know what to do with the information when I found out". Not only should Swarup / Myers be doing time for his crime but the headmistress should be barred from any oversight positions in the future.
Paul

Seattle, WA

#6 Mar 2, 2016
Are there any updates on Stephen Myers or on Steven Swarup?
Also, can anyone think of a way to distribute his photograph in such a way that his current crop of victims, whoever they are, wherever they are, might be able to learn his true identity? If any teachers come across this post, are you familiar with any kind of international forum that educators frequent?
One fact people here will find interesting is that, in the eighties at least, his best and closest friend was Marty Krovetz, the former principal of Soquel High in California:
http://www.sjsu.edu/people/martin.krovetz/
I personally told Krovetz in 1988 that Myers was a pedophile. I told him in the most certain, categorical and forceful terms possible, and Krovetz responded by angrily threatening to attack my reputation and damage me to the utmost of his ability. There was nothing remotely subtle about his response; rather, he employed the slimiest, lowest form of gutter tactics possible. The phrase "ruin your life" was used a number of times.I was a teenager at the time, and this didn't stop from repeating verbatim what he had said to quite a few people, including the Santa Cruz Police Department, to whom I outlined conversations I'd had with a few of the youngest boys in the school regarding pedophilia and other forms of sexual misconduct. Apparently SCPD didn't even bother to make a report of this. So, Krovetz not only verbally threatened and attacked a teenage student for telling the truth about his best friend, but he also allowed Myers to continue with his molestations for another fourteen years. And, of course, when the article about Myers appeared on the front page of the Santa Cruz Sentinel, Steve fled to go find fresh meat and Marty Krovetz feigned shock and outrage. I'm not even sure what the proper word would be to describe that level of sleaziness. In my view, Krovetz is as guilty as Steve himself.
Connie Durant

Mililani, HI

#7 Jun 22, 2016
Paul wrote:
Are there any updates on Stephen Myers or on Steven Swarup?
Also, can anyone think of a way to distribute his photograph in such a way that his current crop of victims, whoever they are, wherever they are, might be able to learn his true identity? If any teachers come across this post, are you familiar with any kind of international forum that educators frequent?
One fact people here will find interesting is that, in the eighties at least, his best and closest friend was Marty Krovetz, the former principal of Soquel High in California:
http://www.sjsu.edu/people/martin.krovetz/
I personally told Krovetz in 1988 that Myers was a pedophile. I told him in the most certain, categorical and forceful terms possible, and Krovetz responded by angrily threatening to attack my reputation and damage me to the utmost of his ability. There was nothing remotely subtle about his response; rather, he employed the slimiest, lowest form of gutter tactics possible. The phrase "ruin your life" was used a number of times.I was a teenager at the time, and this didn't stop from repeating verbatim what he had said to quite a few people, including the Santa Cruz Police Department, to whom I outlined conversations I'd had with a few of the youngest boys in the school regarding pedophilia and other forms of sexual misconduct. Apparently SCPD didn't even bother to make a report of this. So, Krovetz not only verbally threatened and attacked a teenage student for telling the truth about his best friend, but he also allowed Myers to continue with his molestations for another fourteen years. And, of course, when the article about Myers appeared on the front page of the Santa Cruz Sentinel, Steve fled to go find fresh meat and Marty Krovetz feigned shock and outrage. I'm not even sure what the proper word would be to describe that level of sleaziness. In my view, Krovetz is as guilty as Steve himself.
Hi Paul - I just found your post, and I'm so glad you wrote on this page. We found out that Steve is using an alias (again) and we know where he's living. We could sure use some help in distributing information to his surrounding areas about his history, in order to protect potential victims. Have you seen the article in the Boston Magazine?(You can google it to find it - it's titled "The Loved One". If you could contact me, that would be great. You can find me on FaceBook (Connie Taber Durant) and PM me. Thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jerry Sandusky and the mind of a pedophile. (Sep '12) 36 min Geezer Disease 15
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr Mickey402 149,694
News Retirement leads to shift in Cartersville princ... 11 hr Confused 7
News Civil rights clash: Tempers flare at transgende... Mon Sneaky Pete 1
News Tamaqua school board Sun palumpskioxicandyman 17
News Sequim Schools' survey says community would sup... Jul 22 Kerozene 1
News Accused Broward County student linked to more h... (Mar '08) Jul 22 lawyer trash 93
More from around the web