Expulsions possible in playground bea...

Expulsions possible in playground beating

There are 61 comments on the GoErie.com story from Apr 14, 2008, titled Expulsions possible in playground beating. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Rikki Lynn Triana, 10, was beaten on an eastside playground by two other young girls, suffering a broken hip in the attack.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
worried grandma

United States

#1 Apr 14, 2008
EXPEL THEM TO SECURE THE SAFETY OF OTHER CHILDREN; THEY MAY NOT BE WELCOME BY OTHER CHILDREN AT THIS SCHOOL AND THIS COULD CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS.
Old timer

Decatur, GA

#2 Apr 14, 2008
This is a no-brainer. EXPEL THE GIRLS! As for lawyer Sandmeyer...counselor you better wake up and realize your client is a thug. She needs to be put into a juvie facility for a long time. Her family is dysfunctional and she deserves no fair treatment. She beat a girl and broke her hip! Enough said. She needs to be punished to the full extent of the law. SHOW NO MERCY!!!!!
disgusted

Akron, OH

#3 Apr 14, 2008
i believe the children should be expelled. otherwise this poor girl will go through more pain everyday she sees her attackers. dont you think she has suffered enough?
sheri

Oil City, PA

#4 Apr 14, 2008
I totally agree with the school board. Those girls need to be taught a lesson in humanity. If the girls are not punished this will happen again and again. Children this age used to be so innocent now you cant even go out and play.
Mrs JLo

Cleveland, OH

#5 Apr 14, 2008
I hope that they do expell these girls, Rikki has been through enough- shouldn't have to worry about seeing these girls in school.
socrates

West Chester, OH

#6 Apr 14, 2008
These girls need punished, expelled. They apparently have no good parental guidance in their lives. I am certain the girls would end up in the system, be it now or later in life. They need intervention now, I am not talking about locking them up and throwing away the key but they need some kind of help. It all stems from broken homes and no faith based love in our homes. I grew up on the lower East Side of town and have seen this time and time again. People need a license to drive, fish or hunt but by all means have as many children as you like and don't worry if you can not afford them or care for them properly, us tax paying citizens will do it for you. Our society has turned into a bunch of "softies". Get back to the basics, being resonible for you OWN actions and having discipline along with love and guidance for our children. Teaching them wrong from right, not JUST WITH WORDS but by your OWN ACTIONS. Get a job, pay your bills, care for your kids and stop finger pointing at who did you wrong.

Rikki and family, my thoughts and prayers are with you, get well soon.

For the girls and their family, I hope you get punished fully with little mercy. I hope that you do learn from your punishment and come out better ladies and not point the finger at society or the law for your punishment. Take it and learn from it. Accept reposiblity for your actions of violence.
MrsF

Canton, OH

#7 Apr 14, 2008
I agree that they should be expelled, but then where do they go? do they have to be home schooled or do they go to another school in the district? Do have a school for kids that get expelled from the regular schools? And sure don't want them in my kids scool either!
Eriegurl

Vermilion, OH

#8 Apr 14, 2008
Are you kidding me POSSIBLE expulsion??? That is a joke. Typical Erie School Behavior. Dont want to ruffle anyone's feathers. Lets just make nice with everyone.
jbrownks

Olathe, KS

#9 Apr 14, 2008
The seriousness of this crime tells us that age is not a reason not to punish. If they had a gun would people want everyone to go easy? Well it was not a gun but the damage was just as severe. I believe these 10 and up members of our society pay for their crimes.
MCR

Akron, OH

#10 Apr 14, 2008
I heard there were 4 but 2 ran away. I'm not really sure what they should do about those 2 but the 2 that did the beating should not be allowed back to the school. Put them in the charter school and probably from there they'll end up in jail anyway. Looks like this isn't a type of behavior that will stop.
reader

Oil City, PA

#11 Apr 14, 2008
There's an alarming amount of kids with absolutely NO parental guidance, and there has been for some years now. Wonder why we have so many OCY workers. I guess normal society is supposed to turn their heads and just accept it as "part of their culture" Im sorry, but if people refuse to evolve to a standard of living that's nothing but standard almost anyhwere in the world, then either something must be done, or new rules in place, and the people making these changes (you WILL SEE CHANGES in the future, after it's too late) need to stop being scared of being labeled, etc, whatever they're afraid of. where do all these parentless kids keep coming from? I thought there was a limit on welfare, but I guess it's not only a culture to some people, but a way of life to live off their kid's govt help, and 95% of the time there's no father/discipline figure involved. I swear it's like watching animals multiply. I grew up on the lower east side and have been beat with bricks, chains, pipes, etc., cut, stabbed, shot at, and learned to defend myself usually 3 to 1 or worse, the hard way, and by the end of middle school I could finally walk to and from school without any problems. "crazy white boy" was done gettin attacked and i, too have had 3 people stomping on me, and i remember it all too well. It scared me very badly, and for some reason (almost as if this was taught in the home) they seem to have liked to stomp on my head. I was older than that poor little girl, and I just cant imagine what kind of horror she went through. The govt., local, state, etc. WILL NOT do anything, so I guess it's just up to the public -GET SOME CAMERAS PEOPLE!- and sent videos of these kids, and their daily activities to the welfare office, OCY, juvenile probation, etc. There should be a code of conduct for people on welfare, and this is gonna be another case of the few ruining it for the many. The good ol juvenile system will just brush these kids on through and they'll meet more troublemakers and learn how to be even more unruly, through the system, and by the time they reach adulthood, they're either pregnant(females) or on their way to trial for a serious felony conviction (males). makes me sick. I wonder how long this is gonna go on, before something's done about it. I'm almost 30 now, and it was not unheard of to have kids beaten relentlessly alomst every other day. brickings were more common, and this happened when i was in middle school, and is still happening now, so maybe the blind eye wont wake up yet, maybe it will, and Im actually glad that this story made it to the news, so everyone could get a better idea of what a lot of inner-city kids behave like. makes me sick
MCR

Akron, OH

#12 Apr 14, 2008
If I was the parent of school age children I would do EVERYTHING in my power to home school. Trust me on this. This kind of thing and worse has been going on since the early 60's and the school authorities have been able to sweep it under the rug. It has gone on for too many years with out controls now people are starting to fight back. I wish they would at least ok the school vouchers. Maybe then (when people pull their kids out) the city schools and city hall would realize they better get serious about doing something.
reader wrote:
There's an alarming amount of kids with absolutely NO parental guidance, and there has been for some years now. Wonder why we have so many OCY workers. I guess normal society is supposed to turn their heads and just accept it as "part of their culture" Im sorry, but if people refuse to evolve to a standard of living that's nothing but standard almost anyhwere in the world, then either something must be done, or new rules in place, and the people making these changes (you WILL SEE CHANGES in the future, after it's too late) need to stop being scared of being labeled, etc, whatever they're afraid of. where do all these parentless kids keep coming from? I thought there was a limit on welfare, but I guess it's not only a culture to some people, but a way of life to live off their kid's govt help, and 95% of the time there's no father/discipline figure involved. I swear it's like watching animals multiply. I grew up on the lower east side and have been beat with bricks, chains, pipes, etc., cut, stabbed, shot at, and learned to defend myself usually 3 to 1 or worse, the hard way, and by the end of middle school I could finally walk to and from school without any problems. "crazy white boy" was done gettin attacked and i, too have had 3 people stomping on me, and i remember it all too well. It scared me very badly, and for some reason (almost as if this was taught in the home) they seem to have liked to stomp on my head. I was older than that poor little girl, and I just cant imagine what kind of horror she went through. The govt., local, state, etc. WILL NOT do anything, so I guess it's just up to the public -GET SOME CAMERAS PEOPLE!- and sent videos of these kids, and their daily activities to the welfare office, OCY, juvenile probation, etc. There should be a code of conduct for people on welfare, and this is gonna be another case of the few ruining it for the many. The good ol juvenile system will just brush these kids on through and they'll meet more troublemakers and learn how to be even more unruly, through the system, and by the time they reach adulthood, they're either pregnant(females) or on their way to trial for a serious felony conviction (males). makes me sick. I wonder how long this is gonna go on, before something's done about it. I'm almost 30 now, and it was not unheard of to have kids beaten relentlessly alomst every other day. brickings were more common, and this happened when i was in middle school, and is still happening now, so maybe the blind eye wont wake up yet, maybe it will, and Im actually glad that this story made it to the news, so everyone could get a better idea of what a lot of inner-city kids behave like. makes me sick
Cory

Omaha, NE

#13 Apr 14, 2008
These girls who did this beating should absolutely be punished to the fullest extent of the law. The court has a duty to send a message that this sort of criminal behavior will not be tolerated...FROM ANYONE!!! There is no way the girls who did this beating should be shown any leniency. They did not show any leniency to the girl they beat up so why should they be shown any?
SMC

United States

#15 Apr 14, 2008
The girls that were responsible for hurting Rikki should hope that being expelled is the LEAST of their worries. I would bet they aren't sorry tho, in fact, I would guess that they are blaming her for the trouble they are in. These girls don't need a lawyer...they need to accept responsibility. Their parents need to accept responsibility as well. This problem isn't going to go away...bullies and thugs are everywhere. The Erie School District has City of Erie Police Officers as hall monitors for a reason.
I hope Rikki recovers not only physically but emotionally. She should be able to go to school and enjoy being there without the fear of being hurt. Some scars just don't go away overnight.
larry aaron bowers

Lemoyne, PA

#16 Apr 14, 2008
Unfortunately I feel that those responsible should not only be expelled, but sentenced to the max because other kids will see this as a chance to lash out if nobidy steps up to the plate and holds them responsible for their actions. This would even be true for the kids responsbile, because if nothing is done, they will think they have the right to continue hurting people.

I am sorry, but you know right from wrong and need to held accountable for your actions.
larry aaron bowers

Lemoyne, PA

#17 Apr 14, 2008
Also, as far as their schooling, a juveinile detention center is more than able to teach kids, lock them up for aslong as you can legally and let those respnisible worry the rest of their lives why they did not get the right education, just like Rikki, who every day, every step she takes will be reminded of why she is denyied a complete normal child hood. Even when she heals physically, this has to play a huge part on her self-esteem and with her own mental status.
It is extremely sad that she will be reminded of this everyday,because mental wounds take a lot longer(sometimes if at all) to heal completely.
If there were tougher laws and punishments for kids who comit violent crimes,and not take pitty on them and say they have rights(what about the victim!) I honestly feel there would be a lot less gang activity
That is a huge problem wherever you live, criminals have a million times more rights than those that were victimized, and if those rights were reveresed, things would be a million times better for every one.
MARCY

Pittsburgh, PA

#18 Apr 14, 2008
you know this action had nothing to do with the erie school district or the department of welfare . parents are the ones to blame for not knowing what their children are doing and not careing. to many kids now are totaly fending for themselves with no discipline in their lives and no love shown torn them. children learn from the home life they live and this is truly bad conduct on these girls part and they should be punished.
Steve Lackovic

AOL

#20 Apr 14, 2008
Man alive! 10 year old girls NEVER acted this way when I was that age! NOBODY did! What violence they have and power evidently to do such harm to this other 10 year old victim...??

Could it be they were raised on violent video games ot young parents who let the watch violent TV shows or listen to gang music as they did messing their minds up to reality and never taught respect for another??

We had a jolt the other day, as one younger mother in the PTA my wife knew picked up our youngest son (7 years old) for us with her kids one day and when we got our son from their home, he told us he didn't want to be taken home by her again! We asked him why, and he said, the mother played this loud angry music so loud that it had words in it about killing your parents or others and shooting violence and swearing scaring him to hear on the radio, as it was nothing like the type of music we normally play on our radio in the car. And because of this, that mother is uspet now we do not want her picking our son up anymore, but she cannot understand why and got angry because we did not like her taste of music which her kids were raised with not understanding why we won't let our son listen to it and say we are too restrictive on our son...
AuntG

Oxford, CT

#21 Apr 14, 2008
I would think that expulsion would be the least of their worries. What they did was a criminal offense and that is a police matter. Once their hearings etc take place....then worry about how/where they are going to continue their eduation. I realize that what occured happened on school property but I think that the nature of the offense should override school district policy.
Concerned Mom

United States

#22 Apr 14, 2008
It is unbelievable that these young girls behave like this. I would hope that their parents are sued to the extent allowable under the law. These young punks should also be locked up until at least 21.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A Slave Auction in 2017 America 13 min A killer religion 8
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr Trent Reznor 160,676
News Undocumented immigrant accused in alleged rape ... 2 hr The Mule 25
News Ex-Blairsville teacher surrenders certification (Dec '07) 3 hr Haha 82
News Rights of learning-disabled students bolstered ... 7 hr Hostis Publicus 9
News State: Gettysburg substitute teacher allegedly ... (Sep '14) 9 hr Glass of Port 20
News 'Safety Not Sanctuary': Parents Protest School ... 9 hr tomin cali 8
More from around the web