School district removes gay students'...

School district removes gay students' yearbook quotes

There are 52 comments on the New York Post story from Aug 14, 2017, titled School district removes gay students' yearbook quotes. In it, New York Post reports that:

Two gay high school students whose quotes were removed from their senior yearbook say they're "disheartened and angry" by the "senseless censorship" behind the move. Joey Slivinski and Thomas Swartz, who recently graduated from Kearney High School in Missouri, told KCTV they submitted their senior quotes for the yearbook on time just like their other classmates - only to realize that something was amiss when they cracked open the keepsake.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at New York Post.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#1 Aug 14, 2017
“Our schools are supposed to be a place that you can express being who you are.”

No they aren't. They're a place where you go to gain the skills to support yourself.
Duncan

Lincoln, NE

#2 Aug 14, 2017
I applaud the school for doing the right thing!

The homosexual quotes were offensive.
Duncan

Lincoln, NE

#3 Aug 14, 2017
As usual the homosexuals thought they were somehow exempt from following the school's policy regarding offensive quotes in the yearbook. I applaud the school for not bending the rules to appease the gays. Something we see too much of these days.
Johnson

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Aug 14, 2017
Spot on
Duncan

Lincoln, NE

#5 Aug 14, 2017
Score one for the good team!

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#6 Aug 14, 2017
Duncan wrote:

They were not you idiot. Guess you can't read.
Cole

Lincoln, NE

#7 Aug 14, 2017
This is great news!!!

“A long time ago”

Since: Nov 09

in a galaxy far, far away....

#8 Aug 14, 2017
Wondering wrote:
“Our schools are supposed to be a place that you can express being who you are.”

No they aren't. They're a place where you go to gain the skills to support yourself.
Kids can beg their parents to send them to Sunday School if they want to learn conformity and self-repression.
Brock

Trumbull, CT

#9 Aug 14, 2017
This is great! Kudos to Kearney High School!
Phyllis Schlafly s Son

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Aug 14, 2017
Assuming the backwards institution is a public school, the two students need to sue the bigot administrators / official school publication and thus avoid college debt via the large settlement.
And you can quote me.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#11 Aug 16, 2017
Duncan wrote:

Just what in the boys' statements were offensive?

Please be specific.

And so we are all using the same quotes, not a trumpish fake quote, here they are.

“Of course I dress well, I didn’t spend all that time in the closet for nothing,."

“If Harry Potter taught us anything, it’s that no one should have to live in the closet.”

“Equality for ALL”

Massachusetts

#12 Aug 16, 2017
Wondering wrote:

And if the school had edited out some student's quote about their religious belief you would be up in arms crying censorship.

And the student's own quotes WERE supposed to express who they are. YOU do not get to make that decision for anyone but yourself.

“Equality for ALL”

Massachusetts

#13 Aug 16, 2017
Duncan wrote:
As usual the homosexuals thought they were somehow exempt from following the school's policy regarding offensive quotes in the yearbook. I applaud the school for not bending the rules to appease the gays. Something we see too much of these days.
And obviously you never read the article because the school admits that they were the ones that violated school policy and were in error.

And again, just what was offensive about the two quotes?

“Equality for ALL”

Massachusetts

#14 Aug 16, 2017
Johnson wrote:
Spot on
You'll need to clean your monitor and keyboard before those spots dry.

“Equality for ALL”

Massachusetts

#15 Aug 16, 2017
Cole wrote:
This is great news!!!
Unless you are a local tax-payer and facing having to pay the potential legal costs when the school district loses in any lawsuit.

“Equality for ALL”

Massachusetts

#16 Aug 16, 2017
Brock wrote:
This is great! Kudos to Kearney High School!
Kudos?!? You are applauding the potential legal troubles the school has exposed the community to? The school already admitted that they were wrong to edit the quotes out of the yearbook.

Maybe the school could make it right by reprinting (and the district's expense) new copies of the yearbook for all the students.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#17 Aug 17, 2017
DaveinMass wrote:
<quoted text>
And the student's own quotes WERE supposed to express who they are. YOU do not get to make that decision for anyone but yourself.
That's not what he said. "Our schools are supposed to be a place that you can express being who you are." He was talking about the school, not the yearbook. He is wrong.

“Equality for ALL”

Massachusetts

#18 Aug 17, 2017
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>

That's not what he said. "Our schools are supposed to be a place that you can express being who you are." He was talking about the school, not the yearbook. He is wrong.
Hey idiot!!!

It was a SCHOOL, yes SCHOOL yearbook!!!!

Where the principal, at least in law, is the editor.

If it wasn't a school related enterprise, then why did the school censor it???
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#19 Aug 17, 2017
DaveinMass wrote:
<quoted text>

Hey idiot!!!

It was a SCHOOL, yes SCHOOL yearbook!!!!

Where the principal, at least in law, is the editor.

If it wasn't a school related enterprise, then why did the school censor it???
Dumbazz, my point was that school is not a place where you're free to express yourself in any way you see fit. A well run school is a school with discipline. What the boys wrote is irrelevant. No one cares but them.
Gremlin

Louisville, KY

#20 Aug 17, 2017
Schools should NOT teach young people that they are second class citizens....they should teach that all people deserve to be treated with respect

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump, top officials take aim at brutal MS-13 s... (Apr '17) 7 min Friends with power 17
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 7 min blacklagoon3 181,328
News Columbus, Phenix City weather for July 18 from ... 5 hr Victor Hugo 1
News Bond measures, finding teachers, improving stud... 11 hr fact 11
News Charleston school construction costs skyrocket ... 15 hr POS Obama 1
News Mountain View school to be named after undocume... 20 hr Willycfart 37
News Amory aldermen face tough issues on commercial ... (Nov '16) Jul 15 Waterway 16