Three School Merger Wins

Three School Merger Wins

There are 161 comments on the WUTR story from Sep 13, 2012, titled Three School Merger Wins. In it, WUTR reports that:

After the four school merger failed earlier this year, Herkimer County voters have voted in favor of the merging of Herkimer, Mohawk and Ilion Central School Districts.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WUTR.

ole timer

Old Forge, NY

#143 Sep 26, 2012
"One word, efficiency." Good, now I understand
exactly what will happen if the merger is de-
feated.
Thoughtful Discourse

Utica, NY

#144 Sep 26, 2012
Efficiency was someone else's answer.

Ole timer, I'm not sure why you keep asking me questions and debating me. You've made up your mind. And, so far, I haven't seen you willing to take a look at this from both sides. If you're not willing to do that then you're voting blindly, following the leads of others and simply believing what you want to hear.

I, on the other hand, have looked at both sides. And I've said I'm not sure whether the merger is a good or bad thing or if everything will remain status quo regardless of if it passes.

That aside, I intend to challenge the proposal, the administration and the state with regard to the empty 'promises', the speculation and the hope that is being presented as fact. Those supposed 'facts'are what has convinced you and many others to vote yes.

Regardless of whether a new BOE is elected, the proposal could make requirements about what will actually come to fruition should the merger pass. If those requirements aren't met, then there should be consequences. So I disagree with you. There could be guaranteed outcomes.

Don't you wonder why the state isn't making requirements? It's because they have an agenda and that agenda does not appear to be our kids. It appears to be about money and keeping the money in wealthier communities because that's where the tax dollars come from.
ole timer

Old Forge, NY

#145 Sep 26, 2012
I'm not debating you because you have made up
your mind though you claim to have looked at
both sides. You also don't understand the merger
process; the only things you will be voting on
are whether or not the merger will happen, how
many members will be on the new board and what
the terms of the board members will be. The
vote cannot make requirements about what will
come to fruition should the merger pass.There
cannot and will not be guaranteed outcomes. I
know why the state "isn't making requirements";
it's because they can't. Those decisions will
be up to the new BOE. Once the new BOE is elected,
they will decide in what direction the district
will proceed, up until then everything is sim-
ply speculation. That's why I am saying that if
the merger passes, it will be very important to
choose your new BOE carefully because they will
make all of the decisions for the new district
including choosing a new superintendent and
negotiating a new teachers' contract.
Thoughtful Discourse

Utica, NY

#146 Sep 26, 2012
I have looked at both sides and I am currently neutral. Please refrain from putting words in my mouth and expressing thoughts that aren't mine, thanks.

The state ABSOLUTELY could make requirements of the new BOE and superintendent. They are choosing not to. But thanks for your explanation. It's given me more reason to lean toward a No vote.
come on

Herkimer, NY

#147 Sep 26, 2012
ole timer wrote:
I'm not debating you because you have made up
your mind though you claim to have looked at
both sides. You also don't understand the merger
process; the only things you will be voting on
are whether or not the merger will happen, how
many members will be on the new board and what
the terms of the board members will be. The
vote cannot make requirements about what will
come to fruition should the merger pass.There
cannot and will not be guaranteed outcomes. I
know why the state "isn't making requirements";
it's because they can't. Those decisions will
be up to the new BOE. Once the new BOE is elected,
they will decide in what direction the district
will proceed, up until then everything is sim-
ply speculation. That's why I am saying that if
the merger passes, it will be very important to
choose your new BOE carefully because they will
make all of the decisions for the new district
including choosing a new superintendent and
negotiating a new teachers' contract.
Leave the losers. Talking here is a waste of time.
Retards for the Merge

Syracuse, NY

#148 Sep 26, 2012
Yay! Merger! Retards vote for merger and old people who poop their pants.
haha

Marlborough, MA

#149 Sep 26, 2012
U all can blow me f the children o wut about the children im crying
Herkimer Haiku

Rochester, NY

#150 Sep 27, 2012
Let the Students vote?
less informed than taxpayers
and their dumb parents

have you seen the list
all three schools rank bottom half
of state public schools

if we do merger
the valley will have just one
instead of three jokes
cakebaby

Little Falls, NY

#151 Sep 27, 2012
oh wow, i hate this website
lovelife

Little Falls, NY

#152 Sep 27, 2012
i know people write slander! terrible!
VOTE NO

Herkimer, NY

#153 Sep 27, 2012
Thoughtful Discourse wrote:
Gathering students from the three districts, no other schools mind you, at a neutral location to discuss tolerance, had obvious implications. And you're right. The legitimate program has been held in many 'individual' schools without students from other schools in attendance. Check with Herkimer BOCES for verification if you want.
And the last time we had this go-around, teachers were actually taking up class time to promote the merger. They talked about how everyone will be given the world if the merger passes. They're being slightly less subtle this time around.
Teachers were indeed using class time to promote/discuss the merger the last time as well. My son told me this almost every day. Well, some teachers were also giving the students busy work while they (the teacher) looked up non-school things on the computer. Maybe if they would have focused on teaching the classes that they are supposed to be teaching, the kids would be doing better. It is disgusting to me that they did that. It is also disgusting to me that they are selling sweatshirts for the "final class" of Herkimer and Mohawk kids. The merger is not a done deal yet. Why are the schools allowing this nonsense?
Herkimer Haiku

Rochester, NY

#154 Sep 27, 2012
I'll buy a sweatshirt
Merger victory, done deal
the vote will be rigged
MoreWeedATIlionH igh

Ilion, NY

#155 Sep 29, 2012
LOL, You guys just brought more Bud to ilion.. Thanks.
RETIRED PRO

Herkimer, NY

#156 Oct 4, 2012
If you do your homework you will find out that the school leaders are all wrong and they are just craming this garbage down our throats.

VOTE NO BELIEVE ME!!

The school leaders are in denial because they cant manage 1 school let alone 3 schools. We need real supervisors that can make smart economical decision. Did anyone ever think about doing an economical impact study on the effects the merger will have on each town?

Why are many teachers against it?

All costs will rise and NO Guarantees it will make schools better?

When they sold Herkimers Power Authority Out to Nimo?? How did that work out?? A few made alot of money and the taxpayers got Jack Shi.........!

Cafeteria in Ilion is to small so kids will be forced to leave and eat pizza at a place thats good but way to small.

The supervisors will get big pay raises!! Bull shi...!

There will be to many kids in school and each classroom! A real sess pool!

The people who say yes do not have kids in school and think they will save money on taxes?? You are listening to the idiots that cant run the schools themself and are financial dummies!

WE NEED FISCAL RESPONSIBLE PEOPLE AT THE TOP TO START MAKING THE RIGHT DECISIONS!! NOT A TEMPORARY BANDADE!!!!

THINK PEOPLE AND VOTE NO! NO! NO!

FIRE ALL TOP SUPERVISORS AND CFO's THATS ALL THEY DO IS GOLF EVERYDAY AND DRINK - MAKING MONEY DECISIONS! A REAL JOKE!! THINK ABOUT IT!
valley girl

Baldwinsville, NY

#157 Oct 4, 2012
save the magic wrote:
I cannot beleive these people do u really think that things aRE GIONG TO GET BETTER ITS ALL bs.. wHY DONT YOU THINK ABOUT THE KIDS FOR ONCE INSTEAD OF YOURSELF!
We are thinking of the kids........they'll have way more courses of study and opportunities available to them in as well as with exta-curicular activities in a merged district.........
Get with it......that's where the world is headed - check out other cities and states......this is the way to go !!! The kids will adjust and the parents will have to also.
No guarantees

Herkimer, NY

#158 Oct 4, 2012
valley girl wrote:
<quoted text>
We are thinking of the kids........they'll have way more courses of study and opportunities available to them in as well as with exta-curicular activities in a merged district.........
Get with it......that's where the world is headed - check out other cities and states......this is the way to go !!! The kids will adjust and the parents will have to also.
And none of those courses are guaranteed to be offered. They are just "ideas". It's just a "roadmap. Nothing in there is set in stone, and that is what is scary. The new board will be able to do whatever they want to. They don't have to follow this "roadmap". Better think real hard before you vote yes for this disaster in the making. You're voting for something that you think is going to happen, but nothing is guaranteed, not even the incentive money. In case you haven't noticed, NYS is POOR! Where do you think they are going to get the money from. It doesn't just fall from the sky!
Merge the Towns

Utica, NY

#159 Oct 5, 2012
I say we merge Herkimer, Ilion and Mohawk together too. Why just go half way and merge the schools? If we're going to have the equivalent of a city high school we might as well have a city to back it up. High rises and smog and taxi cabs and hookers, homeless people wandering the streets and syringes in the gutters. This 'small village' thing is getting old and is far too quaint. Can I get an Amen?
Hmmmmm

Fayetteville, NY

#160 Oct 5, 2012
Merge the Towns wrote:
I say we merge Herkimer, Ilion and Mohawk together too. Why just go half way and merge the schools? If we're going to have the equivalent of a city high school we might as well have a city to back it up. High rises and smog and taxi cabs and hookers, homeless people wandering the streets and syringes in the gutters. This 'small village' thing is getting old and is far too quaint. Can I get an Amen?
You could merge, the Villages all together, add up the population and you still don't even equal a small city, maybe a town. It would be a total of less than 20,000 people. Might be about the size of the Town of New Hartford.

Thats why it kills me that everyone talking about the enormous size that this school will be.....ahhh, not even as big as many single district schools.
Merge the Towns

Utica, NY

#161 Oct 5, 2012
'Thats why it kills me that everyone talking about the enormous size that this school will be.....ahhh, not even as big as many single district schools.'

But three times bigger than they are now. Triple anything, except for zero, and that is enormous.
Herkimer Haiku

Rochester, NY

#162 Oct 5, 2012
this is what happens
when people from these small towns
have small ideas

conservative towns
fearful of any changes
stuck in their old ways

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 4 hr spaceship 143,120
News Ray-Pec district is asked to discuss violence p... (May '07) 23 hr concerned 41
News Halton school board's new Welcome Centre opens ... Sat many still walk 2... 1
News New Jersey teacher who was late for work 111 ti... Aug 28 wichita-rick 7
News Special services cut at Medford private school - (Nov '07) Aug 28 Josappo4 70
News U.S. Rep. Hurd to speak at CBA luncheon in El Paso Aug 28 huey goins 1
News Pot smokers more likely to use other drugs (Jul '11) Aug 28 ernie097 2,681
More from around the web