Beach OKs seeking loan for schools Co...

Beach OKs seeking loan for schools Colonial Beach council approves...

There are 50 comments on the Fredericksburg.com story from Apr 10, 2014, titled Beach OKs seeking loan for schools Colonial Beach council approves.... In it, Fredericksburg.com reports that:

The Colonial Beach Town Council Thursday night approved taking steps to borrow $2.1 million to pay to move the elementary school students over to the high school, improvements to the high school and other town improvements.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fredericksburg.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Just The Facts

Washington, DC

#1 Apr 11, 2014
If you look at the Beach story & the Spotsy story on same page ,what's missing from beach story is how the 2 million will be repaid . Also , who is going to pay for the demolition of the old school?

“We Should Worry!”

Since: Dec 08

Colonial Beach

#2 Apr 11, 2014
My question exactly. The Town has no money for necessary repairs, Town-owned buildings are looking shabby (it ain't chic, according to Gracie), the pot holes that have popped up on Boundary have been ignored, we can pay for defense of Town Employees, and now we have a major debt to pay back without any plan for payments or additional income that is necessary to take on a debt that big. Kudos to our TC for NOT thinking.
Safety dude

Silver Spring, MD

#3 Apr 12, 2014
As much as parents and teachers don't want to admit, there is not enough money in this town to properly run an independent school. schools are taking an unportionate amount of the revenue, and if this continues the town will eventually just dessentigrate. The schools are hiding much, and distorting the rest. This would be the school board mainly with some cooperation from administrative staff. Presently there have been three buses which were tagged not useable for safety issues after an inspection. But those buses are still in operation carrying your children in an unsafe vehicle. Trivett lied about the old high school being condemned. When it was in fact condemned. But yet a truck load of xerox paper was stored in it. High school is unsafe with no door locks on many doors, leaving students vulnerable. If you cannot afford to run a school properly, and safely for the students, you should look at alternatives. Until something changes drastically in Colonial Beach, like a factory, manufacturing plant, or many other businesses, this town can no longer afford its own school system. Will it take a tragedy to open the publics eyes, but then Iguess you will shift the blame to town because it didn't up the taxes enough. There'd is a possibility of a RE tax increase of .20 per hundred. Can everyone afford that increase? Perhaps we should look to tuition to the parents, or something similar.
Sassy Sadie

Tappahannock, VA

#4 Apr 12, 2014
Bobbi Sue: That prior post must be you. Don't be upset with me with for outing you. You are right on. You have kids in this school system and you have a right to have them safe. Two of yours go to Oak Grove and the other two are here in town. Seems like the Oak Grove Campus does the best it can but the High School has many issues. I hear from my neighbor that the kids can't even go to the bathroom. They have to wait until they get home. What a crock...
The security issues are awful. Did you notice how the School Board kept the death threats under the radar. Nothing has ever been in the papers, nothing talked about. That is the style of the School Board. I feel sorry for the Council. They will have to raise taxes and be the bad guys.

“C. Green”

Since: Sep 12

Colonial Beach

#5 Apr 13, 2014
No question, our town, as well as our independent school system needs additional resources which is driving the debate towards a real estate tax increase. What seems to be missing from these discussion is our options for a solution that is available to us, other than more talk of consolidation.

It is estimated that if fully developed Eleanor Park would produce as much as $40,000 a year in tax revenue. If correct, that is .01 on the real estate tax rate. Couple with the ten acres surrounding the boardwalk properties and you are talking about $400,000 or a reduction in the real estate rate of a dime. That is a very large price to pay for ground we use less than a half a dozen times a year and we are all paying it, by keeping it, in higher real estate taxes.

So I would suggest, while it is important to looking on the debit side of the ledger, the real saving lay with the incoming enhancers.
Safety dude

Silver Spring, MD

#6 Apr 13, 2014
Bad Penny wrote:
No question, our town, as well as our independent school system needs additional resources which is driving the debate towards a real estate tax increase. What seems to be missing from these discussion is our options for a solution that is available to us, other than more talk of consolidation.
It is estimated that if fully developed Eleanor Park would produce as much as $40,000 a year in tax revenue. If correct, that is .01 on the real estate tax rate. Couple with the ten acres surrounding the boardwalk properties and you are talking about $400,000 or a reduction in the real estate rate of a dime. That is a very large price to pay for ground we use less than a half a dozen times a year and we are all paying it, by keeping it, in higher real estate taxes.
So I would suggest, while it is important to looking on the debit side of the ledger, the real saving lay with the incoming enhancers.
This has been done in the past over a million received for the yacht club property and no one can explain where it went. Certainly didn't go to infrastructure. So do we put all that money into schools just to delay an increase in taxes for a few years. Boardwalk should definitely be developed but not necessarily sold. Last sell on boardwalk netted $150,000. That is less or same as residential lot. Not smart move by previous council where several were in real estate business and development. The schools are too expensive for this town, they would even be expensive if shared with the county, but at least it would be a shared cost. When there are only TWO independent school systems in the whole Commonwealth...that should tell you something.
Sassy Sadie

Tappahannock, VA

#7 Apr 13, 2014
Dude: You are so right. The cost of this school system just keeps going up and up. Each year the citizens of Colonial Beach are asked to foot this bill. Why not have the parents that stand up at meetings and say how wonderful the school is, pay for them. Tuition would be a fair way to fund the schools. Parents could then pay for the type of education they want their children to have.
The current enrollment of the school system is approximately 570 students. Charge each parent $1,000 and you would come up with about $570,000 dollars. That would defray the cost to the towns people by a lot. It would be much easier to have the rest made up from the town coffers.
I am not able to come up with all the answers but some new ideas would make a lot of sense. Think outside the box people.
Dee Seeber

Colonial Beach, VA

#8 Apr 13, 2014
The school system is the largest employer in this town. These employees, many who live in town, pay taxes, spend money here, and contribute to the community. If you don't have a school you will not have young people move here. If you think for one minute that the county is going to educate the children for less money you are wrong. You knew that there was a school here when you came here. Someone paid to educate you! The children of this town deserve our school!
Sassy Sadie

Tappahannock, VA

#9 Apr 13, 2014
You are under a false impression. Do a survey Ms. Seeber. MOST and yes I said most of the teachers and staff of the school system live outside the town limits. They are not tax payers. I was here from the start and yes I was educated by the public school system. Emotions set aside we can not afford the schools. The children of this town deserve A school not necessarily this school.

“Henhouse-66549”

Since: Dec 09

Colonial Beach and Wash DC

#10 Apr 13, 2014
looking at it from 69/477, and knowing about human nature/self interest I surmise that there will be no BIG savings by combining systems. You can bet on that. That would be trumpeted and editorialized without fail.
The downside would be removal of an "entry level" superintendent position in the state. Everyone has to make their bones somewhere, and reducing boneyards complicates the matter
Just The Facts

Washington, DC

#11 Apr 13, 2014
Sassy Sadie wrote:
You are under a false impression. Do a survey Ms. Seeber. MOST and yes I said most of the teachers and staff of the school system live outside the town limits. They are not tax payers. I was here from the start and yes I was educated by the public school system. Emotions set aside we can not afford the schools. The children of this town deserve A school not necessarily this school.
Also do a survey of how many children actually live in the town that attend our schools ? Buses are going out of town to bring children into our town school. Young family's need jobs that the town and for the most part the county does not offer so if they move here it's usually because it's second home.It's all about economics.
Realtor

Upper Marlboro, MD

#12 Apr 13, 2014
For those of you who own a house in town, your pool of potential buyers if you decide to sell will be much higher if the town has a school. Young people will not be interested if their kids will be bussed miles away. Also Westmoreland county is raising taxes. Mr Roberson says the county is struggling.mifbyou believe the county will take the CB kids without raising taxes you need to think again. You will pay either way. I'd rather keep the school here and have a larger pool of buyers for home sales.

Just sayin........
Tool

El Dorado Springs, MO

#13 Apr 13, 2014
self serve your own interest much Realtor?
County money

Roanoke, VA

#14 Apr 14, 2014
the town receives money from the Co. that goes to CB schools.

“C. Green”

Since: Sep 12

Colonial Beach

#15 Apr 14, 2014
Safety dude wrote:
<quoted text>
This has been done in the past over a million received for the yacht club property and no one can explain where it went. Certainly didn't go to infrastructure. So do we put all that money into schools just to delay an increase in taxes for a few years. Boardwalk should definitely be developed but not necessarily sold. Last sell on boardwalk netted $150,000. That is less or same as residential lot. Not smart move by previous council where several were in real estate business and development. The schools are too expensive for this town, they would even be expensive if shared with the county, but at least it would be a shared cost. When there are only TWO independent school systems in the whole Commonwealth...that should tell you something.
Actually, according to statements made during the last town council meeting, the town still retains $550,000 of the proceeds from the sale of the Yacht Club Properties. Cannot comment on the sale of boardwalk properties, before my time, but generally speaking, any improvement in real property, will positively affect the values of the surround properties.

Again, what seems to be missing from the debate is the tax revenues received from the privately held Yacht Club and the $150,000 property that the town would not have received if we continued to hold these properties.

Our vacant ground is not generating income. For those that argue lease. OK, letÂ’s put up a sign. Not sure how that would work. Leasing usually requires the owner to offer more than a vacant lot. If you are talking build to suit, that takes resources. Which brings us back full circle in our chicken and the egg debate.
Just The Facts

Silver Spring, MD

#16 Apr 14, 2014
County money wrote:
the town receives money from the Co. that goes to CB schools.
How much does the county contribute to the town ? What's the difference for what it pays vs what the Colonial Beach tax payer has to pay for transportation etc.? Could the CB schools stay open financially without the children from the county ?
One Who Cares

King George, VA

#17 Apr 14, 2014
Safety dude wrote:
As much as parents and teachers don't want to admit, there is not enough money in this town to properly run an independent school. schools are taking an unportionate amount of the revenue, and if this continues the town will eventually just dessentigrate. The schools are hiding much, and distorting the rest. This would be the school board mainly with some cooperation from administrative staff. Presently there have been three buses which were tagged not useable for safety issues after an inspection. But those buses are still in operation carrying your children in an unsafe vehicle. Trivett lied about the old high school being condemned. When it was in fact condemned. But yet a truck load of xerox paper was stored in it. High school is unsafe with no door locks on many doors, leaving students vulnerable. If you cannot afford to run a school properly, and safely for the students, you should look at alternatives. Until something changes drastically in Colonial Beach, like a factory, manufacturing plant, or many other businesses, this town can no longer afford its own school system. Will it take a tragedy to open the publics eyes, but then Iguess you will shift the blame to town because it didn't up the taxes enough. There'd is a possibility of a RE tax increase of .20 per hundred. Can everyone afford that increase? Perhaps we should look to tuition to the parents, or something similar.
"The schools are hiding much and distorting the rest"?? Where are you getting YOUR facts from? Why don't you trek over to the school board office and spend some time asking questions about the budget before you go shooting your mouth off? Their door is ALWAYS open and this is the most cooperative, transparent school administration that Colonial Beach has had in DECADES.
One Who Cares

King George, VA

#18 Apr 14, 2014
Sassy Sadie wrote:
Dude: You are so right. The cost of this school system just keeps going up and up. Each year the citizens of Colonial Beach are asked to foot this bill. Why not have the parents that stand up at meetings and say how wonderful the school is, pay for them. Tuition would be a fair way to fund the schools. Parents could then pay for the type of education they want their children to have.
The current enrollment of the school system is approximately 570 students. Charge each parent $1,000 and you would come up with about $570,000 dollars. That would defray the cost to the towns people by a lot. It would be much easier to have the rest made up from the town coffers.
I am not able to come up with all the answers but some new ideas would make a lot of sense. Think outside the box people.
The costs of running schools is going up everywhere. I don't know why you think that CB should be the exception. And I don't know why people are surprised that the infrastructure is in rough shape after years and years of not putting enough money in the budget for replacement and upkeep.
Just The Facts

Washington, DC

#19 Apr 14, 2014
Unlike the other school systems we have a tax base that is fixed , retirement low income and no industries.Again economics . Sometimes you can't always afford what you want and sometimes even what you need.
Check it out

Roanoke, VA

#20 Apr 14, 2014
Our income is no more fixed than any jurisdiction , many of whom know how to plan and manage their fiscal
responsibilities . I'm retired on a fiXed income. When I was employed, I was on a fixed income as well,
Those who have large investments in stocks, etc. are not on a fixed income and have the resources to
not give a sh--.
Stop making an issue about retirees on a fixed income. When push comes to shove, we may need to raise taxes .
Hopefully, not before our leadership has a plan of action----how increased $ will be used.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr another viewer 148,466
News George Kurusu indicted on four federal charges. 1 hr Newsworthy 5
News In God We Trust: Are we losing our religion? (Nov '15) 5 hr no_Wedge 5
News Fewer students eat school lunches as menus get ... 5 hr Jaimie 16
News Student at center of transgender debate hopes t... 7 hr Mspaisan 1
News Forgotten war plaque finds home (Nov '11) 8 hr 4 USA Memorial Day 21
News Turn Collegiate, Central into charter schools: ... 13 hr Jive Turkey 12
More from around the web