What's Happening to Writing Skills?

Full story: findingDulcinea

With the advent of the writing portion of the SAT, schools have put more emphasis on writing skills.
Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Apr 10, 2013
Melody

Victorville, CA

#1 Aug 26, 2009
Students without a doubt are more familiar with a keyboard than with a pen or pencil, especially students entering junior high and high school. Although the advancement of technology is welcomed, somewhere in our children education we must teach them to value the basics of pen to paper before learning the commands of "file. print."
Annie Oh

Fresh Meadows, NY

#2 Aug 27, 2009
I went to a public high school where writing skills were taught freshman year, and supposedly employed over the next three years. In reality I did barely any writing and entered college feeling underprepared. Luckily a freshman-year writing seminar did wonders, and equipped me for a college experience that culminated in the writing of a heavily scrutinized 80-page paper.
Bring back writing education!
Tony G Rocco

New York, NY

#3 Aug 27, 2009
Ironic that an article on writing skills contains several misspellings/typos.
bonniecpk

Staten Island, NY

#4 Aug 27, 2009
Languages keep evolving according to the era. What is a standard? A standard is commonly accepted by a broad range of people. The smiley icons became a universal language in the world. The traditional writing skills will become obsolete when languages keep evolving. Why would I learn only one language for a certain group of people to understand, while I can learn a universal language that everyone in the world can understand? We need to keep our mind open. Changes may not be bad.
Jan

New York, NY

#5 Aug 27, 2009
It's really a shame that people are now just doing like cramming sessions for the SAT to improve their bad writing. I see bad writing all over the Web every day even by Ivy League grads.
Liz

New York, NY

#6 Aug 27, 2009
Tony, why don't you just notify us of the typos?
Janet

Vancouver, WA

#7 Aug 27, 2009
Jan wrote:
It's really a shame that people are now just doing like cramming sessions for the SAT to improve their bad writing. I see bad writing all over the Web every day even by Ivy League grads.
Bad writing in emails, in particular, is rampant. I can't help but judge people who send a poorly written email.
steve

Salem, OR

#8 Aug 27, 2009
janet I'm guilty of the bad emails, it is so easy to just use lazy punctuation and spelling online. I realize, however, that it is setting a bad example for young people. Perhaps we should create some sort of governing body over the English language like there is for French.
Anita

New York, NY

#9 Sep 2, 2009
I like the point this article makes about writing education beginning young - attempting to train a 30 year old to write well is no use if he doesn't have an earlier base, I believe...
John

UK

#10 Apr 10, 2013
So true Anita, for childhood trainings are what usually remain. This remind me of the line, "Train up the child on the way he should and when he is old he will depart from it." Read more @ http://www.articlesnatch.com/Article/An-Ocean...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trouble finding the right tutor for your children? (Oct '13) 27 min Kelly 20
220-801 practice exam & 220-801 question and an... 30 min Edward Barnes-Sutton 6
MaltaSon Must Not Speak! (Apr '13) 34 min Bob 125
IBM C2010-593 exam questions 3 hr Phil Loves Exams 2
EXIN EX0-116 exam questions 15 hr passexam 1
Office 365 70-346 latest dumps 15 hr passexam 1
Alcatel-Lucent 4A0-103 exam dumps 15 hr passexam 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Education People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••