Carrollton Free Press Standard Letter...

Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the Editor | Sue Morrow

There are 6 comments on the Carrollton Free Press Standard story from Apr 24, 2014, titled Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the Editor | Sue Morrow. In it, Carrollton Free Press Standard reports that:

As with Obamacare, Common Core does not offer choice. Consequently, without competition, it is more expensive.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Carrollton Free Press Standard.

Bob

Strongsville, OH

#1 Apr 24, 2014
Who started this idea? Was this the No Child Left Behind Act? Was this Bush's initiation into what is happening? Should you blame Obama? Should you blame school districts and teachers who weren't providing a good solid education? Should there be a shake up in public education? Think of your own education? How many teachers taught? Do you know how much lost time goes on during a school day because a teacher sits behind the desk checking personal emails, Facebook accounts, ordering on Ebay? Yes, there are the true teachers who care and inspire and teach. But, there are many who don't. Those are the ones who have caused the need for the federal government to examine what is going on.
countymom

Youngstown, OH

#2 Apr 28, 2014
Sue, I agree with most of what you said, however this is a bipartisan issue. It did start with Bush's No Child Left Behind and continued with Obama's Race To The Top. The entire education reform is subsidized by big business (ALEC, Koch Bros) with the goal of privatizing all public schools. Why? Because there is BIG MONEY to be made. So Common Core was developed and copyrighted WITHOUT teacher input with a top-down approach. They began with the 12th grade level expectations and worked their way down to kindergarten. This approach ends with developmentally INAPPROPRIATE content for elementary grades, material that students are not COGNITIVELY able to understand.
Along with this Common Core comes hoards of standardized tests. As a matter of fact, if you have a 9th grader right now, that child will be subjected to SEVENTEEN high stakes, standardized tests by the time they graduate. All of these tests are tied in to teacher evaluations now. None of this takes into account poverty amongst our schoolchildren. It has been proven that children living in poverty, children who are hungry, do NOT do well on high stakes tests.
The goal of this corporate "reform" is to set the public schools up to fail. Do private schools or charter schools have to comply with the Common Core and all the tests that go along with it? In general, NO they do not.
According to students who have taken these new standardized tests, there are BRAND NAMES and trademarks throughout the test. Sure product placement is to be expected in movies and TV, but on standardized tests? I think not.
There is a growing grassroots movement of teachers and parents who are standing up to big corporations, opting their children out of the stressful tests. Learn more.
Randy Miller

Dover, OH

#3 Apr 28, 2014
The truth be known Ted Kennedy wrote the bill, "No Child Left Behind" and President Bush went with it. I Fault both.
Sue Morrow

Grafton, OH

#4 Apr 29, 2014
Randy Miller wrote:
The truth be known Ted Kennedy wrote the bill, "No Child Left Behind" and President Bush went with it. I Fault both.
Thank you. Yes, that is true. I did not include that because of limited space.
Lake Mohawk

Minerva, OH

#5 May 7, 2014
Sorry, but I had about 15 different CHOICES when I enrolled with ObamaCare. Get your facts right.....
A Choice

Dover, OH

#6 May 7, 2014
Your sorry alright, if your from Lake Mohawk you can afford your own insurance instead of having the government pay for it, the government meaning the rest of us through our taxes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MaltaMon chief suspect in abuse scandal 23 hr Will Now Charge 1
More from around the web