Troubled charter school to close

Full story: El Paso Times

A local charter school rife with academic and financial problems is preparing to close its doors at the end of the school year.
Comments
1 - 20 of 35 Comments Last updated Aug 5, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
WOW

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Feb 25, 2010
 
Its about time the TEA and others are realizing that this school is a fake and there has been nothing good from it. The Lewis' are fake in everything they do. I remember when Mr. Lewis was buying himself trucks and ammenities when he had money coming in. He would hold off on projects at the school and hire less than average instructors. Finally it has come to an end.
Joe

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Feb 25, 2010
 
Jane wrote:
A Google search of the school’s demographics says that: 98 percent are Hispanic, 98 percent are free lunch, and only 24 percent are proficient in English. Besides shoddy school officials, I wonder if the fact that it is a Spanish school has anything to do with its abject failure. According to Pew Hispanic Research Center, Hispanic students have the lowest test scores, Hispanic girls have the highest pregnancy rates, and Hispanic students have the highest school drop-out rates.
I really am outraged that my federal tax dollars are wasted on these parasitic third world people.
The free lunches and government housing are sure attracting a lot of this kind of lazy immigrant.

Immigration no longer is about getting the hard working and go-getters, certainly not when it's so easy to pop out children and live the life of government handouts.
Business as usual

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Feb 25, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

El Paso Corruption.
Home School Them

Whitney, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 25, 2010
 
Charter schools, including the religious ones, are now tax supported.

Many charter schools have teachers who never finished high school--yes, and on a full salary--as if certified.

Under Governor Perry, and under Governor, later President, GWB II, there has been a downward spiral in Texas education. The State ultimately has to accept responsibility for an education process that has quit teaching science, logic and clear thought and replaced them in many cases with "faith based initiatives."

If the education of educators does not matter, then “faith-based initiatives” leaves the door open to such self-styled philosophers and teachers as Brian David Mitchell, Wanda Ileen Barzee, Phillip Craig Garrido and Nancy Bocanegra Garrido. These did not get jobs, but one wonders how many of their ilk have been teaching in the "faith-based-initiative " charter schools.

Public education has gone down the toilet, but charter schools are not the answer. They just accelerate the downward spiral.
About Time

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Feb 25, 2010
 
Theda Green was not on the board or otherwise an employee of the El Paso School of Excellence in 2002 or prior to that year, so for J.L. Lewis to say that her employment was okay due to 'grandfathering' is a deliberate misstatement of fact. Nepotism isn't limited to Dennis and Theda Green, either. They have, over the years, hired a great many family members in a great many capacities. I don't agree that Jack Ammons 'created' any of the schools problems, but I do think that the existing 'monitor' system by TEA sets up people like Ammons to charge fees from schools he is to monitor, which is certainly not conducive to appropriate monitoring. The monitors should NOT be financially tied to the schools they are monitoring. This school should have been closed LONG ago, but Ammons made a profit from annual monitoring and therefore looked at his own interests instead of the interests of the children.
Dantes

Cibolo, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Feb 25, 2010
 
que bueno
josephus

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Feb 25, 2010
 
So, Jane, your "research" has led you to believe all Mexicans are parasites? I'll bet I did a bit of research of my own on Appalachia or the South, a lot of people of the lighter persuasion would have the same problems you accuse Hispanics of having. You are nothing but a follower of far right hysteria, not able to think for yourself, accepting what you want to accept. Are you also in favor of concentration camps?
dog

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 25, 2010
 
No to concentration camps but yes to deportation. Just send them back home to their own country and if they aren't parasites, they should do just fine.
MIII

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 25, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
The free lunches and government housing are sure attracting a lot of this kind of lazy immigrant.
Immigration no longer is about getting the hard working and go-getters, certainly not when it's so easy to pop out children and live the life of government handouts.
No this is ridicoulus alot of immigrants try to work but cant because of our stupid government..y because they dont have papers stupid!!be real!!its not that they dont want to its just that they cant
Parent

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Feb 25, 2010
 
I wonder if Sylvia Arriaga was running that school too? Arriaga got fired from the Da Vinci school because of mismanagement and because she was doing illegal background checks.
No accreditation

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Feb 25, 2010
 

Judged:

1

New report from the T.E.A. states since the school was not up to standards they will lose their accreditation retroactivally meaning for the last year children will have to repeat their current grade irrespective of their test scores and GPA.
Huh

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Feb 25, 2010
 
Where's that report?
ELP24

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Feb 25, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Jane wrote:
A Google search of the school’s demographics says that: 98 percent are Hispanic, 98 percent are free lunch, and only 24 percent are proficient in English. Besides shoddy school officials, I wonder if the fact that it is a Spanish school has anything to do with its abject failure. According to Pew Hispanic Research Center, Hispanic students have the lowest test scores, Hispanic girls have the highest pregnancy rates, and Hispanic students have the highest school drop-out rates.
I really am outraged that my federal tax dollars are wasted on these parasitic third world people.
You should be more worried about the problems that you white people harm everyone else with. White people compose the second largest number of welfare recipients at 32%(blacks take first place with 33%). Your kind are also contains the largest number of serial killers, domestic terrorists, meth addicts, and pedophiles.

Obviously, being white is very important is your small world and I'm glad your trailer park was finally able to buy a computer.
Tex

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Feb 25, 2010
 
I agree, let's send all these people back to where they came from. They have despoiled what was a beautiful continent of forests and plains with their cattle and clear cutting. Let England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland take back their descendants, and Germany and Italy too.
You descendants of European immigrants lacked permission from this land's original owners to settle here. You can go back to where your grandparents came from. Where are your papers?
Millions of you are not working, and your wealth comes from the land that you stole and the labor of the Africans you imported as slaves.
Go home, white man.
Former Teacher at EPSOE

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Feb 25, 2010
 
As a former teacher who was fully certified during my employment at the school, I find it offensive that people who do not know the "history" or "real story" behind the teachers are saying that instructors at EPSOE do not have a high school diploma and such. Many people who teach or have taught at EPSOE are recent graduates from UTEP or local Alternative Certification programs who were unable to find positions in the public school system because of a saturation of teachers. The problem with the El Paso School of Excellence is/was in the administration and the personal interests of the people who were running a business, rather than a school. Many times, teachers with the students' best interests were knocked down or moved to another grade level in order to not be successful with the students, in order for the administration to have grounds for termination. I believe that many teachers, although not all, did the very best they could with the students with very little, including resources that were "begged, borrowed, or stolen," often materials that were bought out of pocket or materials that were so old and worn out that they may as well have been non-existent. Up until SY 2008-2009, the teachers did not have working computers or printers in the classsrooms. So, for having so little, it must be said that the teachers tried very hard and many students were successful.
It is important for the public to know that the school was run by corrupt individuals who inflicted their highly religious views on the teachers and students, and if you did not belong to the Pentecostal church that was run by J.L. and Ila Lewis, you were not worthy of their support and were criticized on your teaching techniques and strategies. Aside from the fact that they made the female teachers were skirts and pantyhose because that was "professional dress."

I am sad to see this school close down, because many students are quite successful in the smaller group classrooms and two grade levels of my students will now be displaced, along with my many teacher friends who will be looking for jobs, but I am pleased that the owners of this school are finally getting what has been coming to them for a while now.
~Current Special Education teacher in San Antonio/
EPSOE Faculty 2006-2008
apartheid

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Feb 25, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

it is amazing how these forums bring out the whites to oomplain that they are no longer in power and use any excuse for their lack of sucess.
J Valverde

Mansfield, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Feb 25, 2010
 
All these charter school founders want is financial gain. They are not one bit into it for the education of children. Simply just another way to make easy money at the tax payers expense. They all need to be put out of business.
J Valverde

Mansfield, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Feb 25, 2010
 
josephus wrote:
So, Jane, your "research" has led you to believe all Mexicans are parasites? I'll bet I did a bit of research of my own on Appalachia or the South, a lot of people of the lighter persuasion would have the same problems you accuse Hispanics of having. You are nothing but a follower of far right hysteria, not able to think for yourself, accepting what you want to accept. Are you also in favor of concentration camps?
Well put.
J Valverde

Mansfield, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Feb 25, 2010
 
Former Teacher at EPSOE wrote:
As a former teacher who was fully certified during my employment at the school, I find it offensive that people who do not know the "history" or "real story" behind the teachers are saying that instructors at EPSOE do not have a high school diploma and such. Many people who teach or have taught at EPSOE are recent graduates from UTEP or local Alternative Certification programs who were unable to find positions in the public school system because of a saturation of teachers. The problem with the El Paso School of Excellence is/was in the administration and the personal interests of the people who were running a business, rather than a school. Many times, teachers with the students' best interests were knocked down or moved to another grade level in order to not be successful with the students, in order for the administration to have grounds for termination. I believe that many teachers, although not all, did the very best they could with the students with very little, including resources that were "begged, borrowed, or stolen," often materials that were bought out of pocket or materials that were so old and worn out that they may as well have been non-existent. Up until SY 2008-2009, the teachers did not have working computers or printers in the classsrooms. So, for having so little, it must be said that the teachers tried very hard and many students were successful.
It is important for the public to know that the school was run by corrupt individuals who inflicted their highly religious views on the teachers and students, and if you did not belong to the Pentecostal church that was run by J.L. and Ila Lewis, you were not worthy of their support and were criticized on your teaching techniques and strategies. Aside from the fact that they made the female teachers were skirts and pantyhose because that was "professional dress."
I am sad to see this school close down, because many students are quite successful in the smaller group classrooms and two grade levels of my students will now be displaced, along with my many teacher friends who will be looking for jobs, but I am pleased that the owners of this school are finally getting what has been coming to them for a while now.
~Current Special Education teacher in San Antonio/
EPSOE Faculty 2006-2008
I can see how you were employed by ELSOE, where did you get your teaching certificate, because you don't "were" skirts and pantyhose, you wear them.
Ex EPSOE teacher

Dade City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Feb 25, 2010
 

Judged:

1

J Valverde wrote:
<quoted text>
I can see how you were employed by ELSOE, where did you get your teaching certificate, because you don't "were" skirts and pantyhose, you wear them.
She must have received her degree from the same school as you. It' E P S O E duh.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Education Forum right now

Search the Education Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Huawei H12-221-ENU exam dumps 1 hr passexam 1
Riverbed 199-01 exam dumps 1 hr passexam 1
EMC E20-260 exam dumps 1 hr passexam 1
Apple 9L0-409 exam dumps 1 hr passexam 1
Apple 9L0-418 exam questions 1 hr passexam 1
Did You Swim Nude In High School? (Dec '12) 6 hr Phil 1,248
C2010-572 Exam brain dump testing engine Thu Phil 2
•••
•••