Three Rivers drops GED requirement, prepares for fall enrollment increase

Jun 17, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Southeast Missourian

As staff at Three Rivers Community College prepare for another big increase in enrollment this fall, the college is eliminating one admission requirement.

Comments
1 - 20 of 52 Comments Last updated Mar 18, 2014
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Asking the real questions

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Jun 21, 2010
How do you go to college when you havent even finished high school or gotten your g.e.d.? I think this just goes to show how shitty and probably worthless this college is. I dont think anyone is going to hire a person with a certificate or degree from there but that hasnt finished highschool/ got a ged.
Wondering

Faridabad, India

#2 Jun 21, 2010
Sounds to me like they're taking this whole "open enrollment" thing way too far. Doesn't the State set forth any admission requirements at all? Just keeps going from bad to worse.
Really

Saint Louis, MO

#3 Jun 21, 2010
That sounds a little strange. I hope they are not getting Gov. money to go to college when they can't even make the effort to get a GED.
Trcc Goddess

Poplar Bluff, MO

#4 Jun 21, 2010
Well since the average HS Graduate comes to dumb as a box of rocks and wastes a yrs worth of PEL Grant on remedial English and math....How will it be different?
pete

Poplar Bluff, MO

#5 Jun 21, 2010
Students will still need to take tests to determine class placement. If a student is capable of completing collegiate-level work without a high school diploma or G.E.D., why should we stop them?
curious

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Jun 21, 2010
pete wrote:
Students will still need to take tests to determine class placement. If a student is capable of completing collegiate-level work without a high school diploma or G.E.D., why should we stop them?
i see what you saying, but i dont get it, how can someone go from failing or dropping out of school to getting a college degree without any kind of hs diploma or a ged?
sixty five pages

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Jun 21, 2010
Maybe you people need a diploma. All it means is TRCC now offers classes to prepare people for to get their GED.
hmmmm

Faridabad, India

#8 Jun 21, 2010
That's not what the article says......
sixty five pages wrote:
Maybe you people need a diploma. All it means is TRCC now offers classes to prepare people for to get their GED.

Since: Apr 10

St. Louis

#9 Jun 21, 2010
curious wrote:
<quoted text>i see what you saying, but i dont get it, how can someone go from failing or dropping out of school to getting a college degree without any kind of hs diploma or a ged?
I made very good grades in school and was on my way to a academic scholarship when my mother and stepfather decided that I needed to pay household bills more than I needed to finish high school. I could and should have gone to get my GED but to be honest it scared me so I never got it. Now seeing the possibility of going to college as something tangible has made me rethink what I need and want to do with my life. I am not a bad nor stupid person and having this chance is just what I need to get me in gear.
Paying Attention

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Jun 21, 2010
sixty five pages wrote:
WOW its obvious you didnt read the article
curious

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Jun 21, 2010
Laeny wrote:
<quoted text>
I made very good grades in school and was on my way to a academic scholarship when my mother and stepfather decided that I needed to pay household bills more than I needed to finish high school. I could and should have gone to get my GED but to be honest it scared me so I never got it. Now seeing the possibility of going to college as something tangible has made me rethink what I need and want to do with my life. I am not a bad nor stupid person and having this chance is just what I need to get me in gear.
thats all fine, im sure you had it hard and whatever like alot of ppl, im not knocking anyone for their life, im just stumped as to how someone can go to college without a ged or high school diploma. Whats it going to look like when you are getting a job and you have no diploma, but you have a degree....as an employer (if i were one) i would be wondering how good is this college, if they dont require at least a ged to attend there.
educated

Poplar Bluff, MO

#12 Jun 22, 2010
curious wrote:
<quoted text>thats all fine, im sure you had it hard and whatever like alot of ppl, im not knocking anyone for their life, im just stumped as to how someone can go to college without a ged or high school diploma. Whats it going to look like when you are getting a job and you have no diploma, but you have a degree....as an employer (if i were one) i would be wondering how good is this college, if they dont require at least a ged to attend there.
Glad you are curious and stumped...but I hold a Masters Degree from a well known University and I do not have a GED or a High School Diploma. I entered the Military when I was 17 because I was a problem in school. I was flunking everything and I just wanted out. After joining the service I saw they had a community college so I started taking classes. I never told them I didn't graduate nor did they ask. After i completed 15 hrs I found out that that was equivalent to a HS diploma so I never went back. I graduated suma cum laude because I was pursuing something I wanted. HS was a chore and I hated every single day.

so saving said all this there are many many people who do not graduate HS or get a GED and do just fine in college.

I applaud the forward thinking of the school...
chidoug

Chicago, IL

#13 Jun 22, 2010
http://www.semissourian.com/blogs/1441/entry/...

i don't think what they are doing is so bad. as someone mention here they will be giving a placement test.

Marion, IL

#14 Jun 22, 2010
Thanks for sharing your 2 cents. We've got some questions. Is it different for Chicago GED certificate holders? Did you find it difficult to gain acceptance to college with your GED, Chidog? Or did your shortbus certificate open the door to higher education for you? Also, does a GED suffice to get on the toilet bowl crew? Or do they hold out for actual high school graduates?

We were also wondering: did you disclose the fact that you flunked the 5th grade at Fisk Elementary School when you applied for college? Or on your application to the CBOT toilet bowl crew job?

Why don't you conduct some research on your CHICAGO Topix forum and see what the temperature is there.
chidoug wrote:
http://www.semissourian.com/bl ogs/1441/entry/35512/
i don't think what they are doing is so bad. as someone mention here they will be giving a placement test.

Marion, IL

#15 Jun 22, 2010
If you truly were an esteemed college graduate, you would know that the term is "SUMMA" cum laude, not "suma." If you are going to exaggerate your accomplishments, you might want to use the internet for getting it right rather than trolling Topix.

Or you could just ask Chidog for assistance with inflating your life accomplishments.

I, too, applaud TRCC's forward thinking. Anyone who has been to Walmart, had a fast food meal recently, or attempted to hire entry-level employees for a job, can easily attest to the meaninglessness of a high school diploma.
educated wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad you are curious and stumped...but I hold a Masters Degree from a well known University and I do not have a GED or a High School Diploma. I entered the Military when I was 17 because I was a problem in school. I was flunking everything and I just wanted out. After joining the service I saw they had a community college so I started taking classes. I never told them I didn't graduate nor did they ask. After i completed 15 hrs I found out that that was equivalent to a HS diploma so I never went back. I graduated suma cum laude because I was pursuing something I wanted. HS was a chore and I hated every single day.
so saving said all this there are many many people who do not graduate HS or get a GED and do just fine in college.
I applaud the forward thinking of the school...
truth

Poplar Bluff, MO

#16 Jun 22, 2010
If you graduated from local schools then one of two things happened.(1) you did study or (2) you attended. Just because you have a high school education that means little. Our local high schools graduate many students who can barely read, write or do basic math. Three Rivers requires the compass test as for placement in different classes. Many local high school graduates are placed in classes that will prepare them to take traditional college classes, so what good was the high school diploma? It is possible by doing this, future students who want an education can bypass a high school experience that wastes their time. Granted they must spend money for developemental classes, but why waste time?
educated

Poplar Bluff, MO

#17 Jun 22, 2010
guest wrote:
If you truly were an esteemed college graduate, you would know that the term is "SUMMA" cum laude, not "suma." If you are going to exaggerate your accomplishments, you might want to use the internet for getting it right rather than trolling Topix.
Or you could just ask Chidog for assistance with inflating your life accomplishments.
I, too, applaud TRCC's forward thinking. Anyone who has been to Walmart, had a fast food meal recently, or attempted to hire entry-level employees for a job, can easily attest to the meaninglessness of a high school diploma.
<quoted text>
Sorry Mr or Ms Guest I'm glad I am the only one who has had a typo....But if you think my accomplishments are exaggerated shoot me an email addy and I will tell you where I work and you can see my diplomas for yourself
chidoug

Chicago, IL

#18 Jun 22, 2010
guest wrote:
Thanks for sharing your 2 cents. We've got some questions. Is it different for Chicago GED certificate holders? Did you find it difficult to gain acceptance to college with your GED, Chidog? Or did your shortbus certificate open the door to higher education for you? Also, does a GED suffice to get on the toilet bowl crew? Or do they hold out for actual high school graduates?
We were also wondering: did you disclose the fact that you flunked the 5th grade at Fisk Elementary School when you applied for college? Or on your application to the CBOT toilet bowl crew job?
Why don't you conduct some research on your CHICAGO Topix forum and see what the temperature is there.
<quoted text>
LOL, still a miserable little jealous sob. lol, love it! i love pulling your strings. LMAO
chidoug

Chicago, IL

#19 Jun 22, 2010
also fool i have a right to post here according to Topix, the owners of this site. don't like it then take it up with them but show a little respect and not be such a coward little b*tch. then again the fact is you are nothing but a little coward b*tch, no courage at all. a sissy, scared of me. if you weren't you wouldn't have a problem posting your garbage under your real name, but you won't because like i said, you are a coward b&tch.

Marion, IL

#20 Jun 22, 2010
Is your real name Chidoug? When you establish that this is your name, we'll talk.

Or is it DUMBASS ...
chidoug wrote:
also fool i have a right to post here according to Topix, the owners of this site. don't like it then take it up with them but show a little respect and not be such a coward little b*tch. then again the fact is you are nothing but a little coward b*tch, no courage at all. a sissy, scared of me. if you weren't you wouldn't have a problem posting your garbage under your real name, but you won't because like i said, you are a coward b&tch.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trouble finding the right tutor for your children? (Oct '13) 4 min Dirty Jumper Wash 22
MaltaSon Must Not Speak! (Apr '13) 16 min Dirty Jumper Wash 129
220-801 practice exam & 220-801 question and an... 10 hr Edward Barnes-Sutton 6
IBM C2010-593 exam questions 13 hr Phil Loves Exams 2
EXIN EX0-116 exam questions Sat passexam 1
Office 365 70-346 latest dumps Sat passexam 1
Alcatel-Lucent 4A0-103 exam dumps Sat passexam 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Education People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••