Pilots at American Airlines plan stri...

Pilots at American Airlines plan strike vote

There are 27 comments on the KHOU-TV Houston story from Aug 22, 2012, titled Pilots at American Airlines plan strike vote. In it, KHOU-TV Houston reports that:

The pilot's union says it will hold a strike vote if American Airlines throws out its labor contract in bankruptcy court.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KHOU-TV Houston.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Apr 08

Tulsa, OK

#1 Aug 22, 2012
PROST,

It appears that Option 3 may be a reality after all:

3. Shutdown AMR, send everyone packing, Golden Parachutes assured for Horton and his team. Sell off the assets. AMR/AA joins the ranks of the other legacy carriers that once ruled the airways.

I guess the pilots have found other jobs!
Eastern Scab Pilot

Everett, WA

#2 Aug 22, 2012
Are they hiring yet?

I'm ready and willing to assume my rightful position as a SENIOR B-777 Captain at American Airlines.

I don't need a salary, just give me a hotel room, three meals a day, and I'm ready to assume my career as a professional airline pilot.
Ace White

Euless, TX

#3 Aug 22, 2012
Won't happen. AA Pilots are playing hardball with the company and the BK Judge. They are some of the highest paid pilots in the industry and won't give up anything like the other employees did. In the end they lose.
Skyliner747

Manhasset, NY

#4 Aug 23, 2012
Go out on strike.....then what?
They are not serious.
Master

Arlington, TX

#5 Aug 23, 2012
All AA pilots need to be fired! Talking with the enemy, for shame. I know there are more than 8000 pilots that would take their jobs. Even ater bankruptcy, AA pilots will still be paid higher than USAir pilots, yet they want to work for the enemy. Come'on Horton have the guts and pull the trigger, enough is enough!
Blah Blah

Beulaville, NC

#6 Aug 24, 2012
All the former TWA pilots who were screwed by APA are ready to keep flying.
Bryan Manzullo

Midlothian, TX

#7 Aug 24, 2012
The pilots support a US Airways merger?
The US Air pilots are trying to toppled their own CEO and the AA pilots adore him.
http://firedougparker.org/
Toad

Houston, TX

#8 Aug 24, 2012
I FULLY ENCOURAGE ANYONE to walk across the picket line on this one! Otherwise you will get NOTHING but a pink slip!
Eastern Scab Pilot

Everett, WA

#9 Aug 24, 2012
Toad wrote:
I FULLY ENCOURAGE ANYONE to walk across the picket line on this one! Otherwise you will get NOTHING but a pink slip!
Sir; I would be honored to follow in your footsteps sir!

Togetheras strike breakers we can put AA back on top once again.
Brandon

Shreveport, LA

#10 Aug 24, 2012
I'll take the job. Why are people striking when we are in a recession?

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#11 Aug 26, 2012
Bryan Manzullo wrote:
The pilots support a US Airways merger?
The US Air pilots are trying to toppled their own CEO and the AA pilots adore him.
http://firedougparker.org/
AA'ers will go with anyone currently not having anything to do with AA. It's no sectret Doug Parker is no better, he's a CEO. But he's not with AMR.

Santee CA

#12 Aug 26, 2012
tulaaretired wrote:
PROST,
It appears that Option 3 may be a reality after all:
3. Shutdown AMR, send everyone packing, Golden Parachutes assured for Horton and his team. Sell off the assets. AMR/AA joins the ranks of the other legacy carriers that once ruled the airways.
I guess the pilots have found other jobs!
I am to young to stop working. I gave this company 13 consecutive years of perfect attendance over 26 years, and have 7 months of sick time total. My shoulders are so bad I could not reach across a desk to shake the hand of a new employer. 3 doctors including one from the company say I need surgery. I told my wife I want to take get fixed and hope a marger saves our future. The company social network policy explains why I can't publish the rest of the conversation. But I am done with the airline industry. What happens to such a wonderful employer as AA is out of my hands. Since my decades of faithull dedication means nothing to the current management team, all of the love I can wish them I'm sure carries the same wieght. I'm sure Mr. Horton will survive any outcome. If not start a facebook fundraiser page for him. I'll do what I can
sickandtired

United States

#13 Aug 27, 2012
Brandon wrote:
I'll take the job. Why are people striking when we are in a recession?
Well, better get to work then. You'll need to get in with the military for about 10-15 years of your life or if you go the civilian route, you'll need to come up with about $200k for college and flight training then work for poverty wages as a flight instructor, then hope to get picked-up as an FO at a crappy regional airline for about 3-5 years (hopefully without getting furloughed) then upgrade as Capt and fly for an additional 1-3 years to be competitive for an entry-level job at a major (if they are even hiring) and settle for a 60% salary reduction for 1st year pay at that brand new major airline job.

When would you like to start your "career"?
Master

Abu Dhabi, UAE

#15 Sep 3, 2012
sickandtired wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, better get to work then. You'll need to get in with the military for about 10-15 years of your life or if you go the civilian route, you'll need to come up with about $200k for college and flight training then work for poverty wages as a flight instructor, then hope to get picked-up as an FO at a crappy regional airline for about 3-5 years (hopefully without getting furloughed) then upgrade as Capt and fly for an additional 1-3 years to be competitive for an entry-level job at a major (if they are even hiring) and settle for a 60% salary reduction for 1st year pay at that brand new major airline job.
When would you like to start your "career"?
And just think, hundreds of thousands US service men and women do this all the time to take jobs after their service is complete that make $60k -$100K per year with no pension. They do this work honorably and they do strike, threaten to strike or conspire with another company. During bad economic times, they work harder for less pay like the rest of Americans and in good times they save a few bucks for the future. How come only Pilots and Politicians think they should always have good times?

Santee CA

#16 Sep 3, 2012
Toad wrote:
Everyone else is about to be uunder court approved, you voted for this contract. To honor another groups strike woule be a violation
Skyking

Jersey City, NJ

#17 Sep 5, 2012
Eastern Scab Pilot wrote:
Are they hiring yet?
I'm ready and willing to assume my rightful position as a SENIOR B-777 Captain at American Airlines.
I don't need a salary, just give me a hotel room, three meals a day, and I'm ready to assume my career as a professional airline pilot.
That's just great. Your attitude is causing the problems with labor in the airline industry. You aren't the only one though. The unions have blame too. To say you are willing to cross the picket line for a hotel room and three squares a day tells me that those who fly on your flights are doomed to die. Leave the flying to professionals!
June fl

Naples, FL

#18 Sep 5, 2012
If you do your homework you would find that the pilots at American are not the highest paid in the industry, they're looking for equality amoung their piers. Carriers pay more for cargo pilots than pilots who secure the safety of people. What does that tell you?
June fl

Naples, FL

#19 Sep 5, 2012
If you do your homework, you would find that pilots at American are paid far less than their piers because of the last contract which gave concessions. Now they just want equality with the other carriers who have gone through this process.

Santee CA

#20 Sep 5, 2012
Skyking wrote:
<quoted text>
That's just great. Your attitude is causing the problems with labor in the airline industry. You aren't the only one though. The unions have blame too. To say you are willing to cross the picket line for a hotel room and three squares a day tells me that those who fly on your flights are doomed to die. Leave the flying to professionals!
Ignore him.... He copies and pastes that same speech every time he posts on any topic

Santee CA

#21 Sep 5, 2012
June fl wrote:
If you do your homework you would find that the pilots at American are not the highest paid in the industry, they're looking for equality amoung their piers. Carriers pay more for cargo pilots than pilots who secure the safety of people. What does that tell you?
2 things you need to know. Cargo carriers do not get into fare wars. There isn't much competition, so no need for it. The second is airline execs don't think of passengers as people until they are forced to pay attention to them. Note Unless you are speaking to an exec, he doesn't care. That's why there are agents and a customer service department. All an exec wants to know is that as many seats as possible were filled and the highest fares possible were collected. Why do you think it literal took an act of congress to make an airline not leave you sit on the tarmac indefinitely. There are a bunch of commuter pilots waiting for those cockpits, and a paycut to a seasoned pilot is a step up for those guys.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bankruptcy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Newnan lawyer suspended for 6 months (Nov '14) 14 hr Wheresjustice 25
News Tupelo airport filing claim against SeaPort Nov 22 Taxes Increased 13
News Judge approves California city's bankruptcy plan (Oct '14) Nov 21 Stockton209 4
News Ukrainian Protest Prompts Central Bank to Warn ... Nov 16 PolakPotrafi 1
News Scuttle's Island investors file Chapter 7 bankr... Nov 14 Haterade 1
News Drivers fight 407 ETR's right to collect toll d... (May '12) Nov 4 JC Kelly 8
News IMF to help Ukraine with up to $18 billion bailout (Mar '14) Nov 2 3rd Wife Pregnancy 78
More from around the web