Court says city of Stockton, Californ...

Court says city of Stockton, California may proceed with bankruptcy

There are 19 comments on the www.reuters.com story from Apr 2, 2013, titled Court says city of Stockton, California may proceed with bankruptcy. In it, www.reuters.com reports that:

A federal judge on Monday approved the city of Stockton's petition for bankruptcy in a case that sets the stage for a lengthy battle between bondholders and the California pension system.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.reuters.com.

bottecap

Tampa, FL

#1 Apr 2, 2013
Mexico has stolen BILLIONS of dollars out of the California economy--they, as well as advoates of "political correctness should be held financially responsible.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#2 Apr 2, 2013
bottecap wrote:
Mexico has stolen BILLIONS of dollars out of the California economy--they, as well as advoates of "political correctness should be held financially responsible.
So have the neo-conservatives stolen BILLIONS from CA.
We should hold them and Mexico responsible for California's fiscal embarassment. How do we proceed?
bottlecap

Tampa, FL

#3 Apr 2, 2013
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
We should hold them and Mexico responsible for California's fiscal embarassment. How do we proceed?
To your first assertion, no, conservatives have not stolen any money from California but, in reality have contributed to the economy thru their businesses. I also have to give credit to liberals in Hollywood here for Adding to the economy.

How to proceed----you can start with an apology.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#4 Apr 2, 2013
bottlecap wrote:
<quoted text>
To your first assertion, no, conservatives have not stolen any money from California but, in reality have contributed to the economy thru their businesses. I also have to give credit to liberals in Hollywood here for Adding to the economy.
How to proceed----you can start with an apology.
I am sorry that you misread my statement.

Who is ENRON?
And, no, not consaervatives; I said NEO-CONSERVATIVES, led by Dick Cheney & his gang of thieves.
Minority of one

Aurora, IL

#5 Apr 2, 2013
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is ENRON?
And, no, not consaervatives; I said NEO-CONSERVATIVES, led by Dick Cheney & his gang of thieves.
The mojority of problems with Enron occured while Clinton was president- it just collapsed under Bush.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#6 Apr 2, 2013
Minority of one wrote:
<quoted text>The mojority of problems with Enron occured while Clinton was president- it just collapsed under Bush.
Bullshit lie.

ENRON went on a degegulated tear under Bush, the whole phony "spot energy" market was exploited by Ken Lay under Bush's 'benign neglect' of any regulatory power.

"Get government out of business." "Strangle the beast." "Government regulations could fill a room." Remember those neo-con slogans? That's what bankrupt California.

You lie like a rug, but with less grace.
bottlecap

Tampa, FL

#7 Apr 2, 2013
Minority of one wrote:
<quoted text>The mojority of problems with Enron occured while Clinton was president- it just collapsed under Bush.
Enron was connected to both political parties.
bottlecap

Tampa, FL

#8 Apr 2, 2013
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is ENRON?
I am certainly not a fan of Dick Cheney or George Bush or Kenny Lay, but California's problems are so massive that to blame a collapse of a corporation as being responsible for those problems is a stretch. Yes, Enron was accused of making millions due to Energy/Price manipulations, but that cost was also absorbed by private citizens.

It certainly can't, numerically, account for even a small percentage of this.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/20...

"Were California's state government a business, it would be a candidate for insolvency with a negative net worth of $127.2 billion, according to an annual financial report issued by State Auditor Elaine Howle and the Bureau of State Audits."
----------
Minority of one

Aurora, IL

#9 Apr 2, 2013
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit lie.
ENRON went on a degegulated tear under Bush, the whole phony "spot energy" market was exploited by Ken Lay under Bush's 'benign neglect' of any regulatory power.
"Get government out of business." "Strangle the beast." "Government regulations could fill a room." Remember those neo-con slogans? That's what bankrupt California.
You lie like a rug, but with less grace.
Enron begin to unravelas early as 1997 when the first partnerhip to keep debt off the books was creted. By December 2001 Enron was in bankruptcy. From 1997- january 2001 who was president? If an one is a bullshit liar it is you.
Minority of one

West Chicago, IL

#10 Apr 2, 2013
bottlecap wrote:
<quoted text>
Enron was connected to both political parties.
I know that but many people like to blame just one- which is why most of these problems never go away. We just keep electing the same bozos.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#11 Apr 2, 2013
Hey, Billy has a point. We all know California is an ultra conservative state.

Since: Dec 07

Athens, TX

#12 Apr 2, 2013
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
California is falling because 30 years ago they based their entire retirment packages for all state workers on the projected income for the dot.com industry.......which went bust in 2000, dummy.

The contracts they made have now come to light as all these state employees are retiring and they can't pay. Pirating by the chinese and big software company failures in the bust from 2000-2001 caused the problems. It was liberal spend first worry about it later bullshit that's going on now in the USA!

It's ten years since the dot com bubble began to seriously deflate; the financial climax had its high water mark on March 10, 2000 when the NASDAQ peaked at 5132.52. By September of that year people were starting to feel a lot less financially irrationally exuberant and started heading for the exits.

The subsequent stock market crash caused the loss of $5 trillion in the market value of companies from March 2000 to October 2002, and those parts of the world which were the epicenters of the dot com boom, such as the San Francisco Bay Area, were plunged into a financial nuclear winter.

"Uh, it's Enron, Ken Lay and Bush's fault!" Typical liberal blame game. They can't face their own failures.

One big tip, billy boy.........Enron was in Texas also......Texas is now the most prosperous state in the union.......

So give us your blame game for that one!! LMAO

Athens, TX

#13 Apr 2, 2013
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is ENRON?
No one misreads your statements, they are just typical leftist blame someone else for demorat mistakes bullshit.

Bill, slick willie jefferson clinton, monica's boy based his bogus projected surplus on the dot.com industry..........

When the bust came the left said Bush squandered it. Hilarious........you can't squander something that never existed.

keep 'em coming.........your BS is really funny.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#14 Apr 2, 2013
bottlecap wrote:
<quoted text>
I am certainly not a fan of Dick Cheney or George Bush or Kenny Lay, but California's problems are so massive that to blame a collapse of a corporation as being responsible for those problems is a stretch. Yes, Enron was accused of making millions due to Energy/Price manipulations, but that cost was also absorbed by private citizens.
It certainly can't, numerically, account for even a small percentage of this.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/20...
"Were California's state government a business, it would be a candidate for insolvency with a negative net worth of $127.2 billion, according to an annual financial report issued by State Auditor Elaine Howle and the Bureau of State Audits."

----------
No, try Billions; and Gov Grey Davis emptied the treasury by subsidizing those "private citizens" electric bills with state money.

The thanks Gov. Davis got for saving the homeowners was being called a "girlie-man" by a hulk with dried peas in his own scrotum; Arnold, who did nothing, but made eveeryone in CA happy, seemingly, by grining earnestly.

What are you talking about?
Not actual history, for sure.
Ascendo Tuum

Hamilton, Canada

#15 Apr 2, 2013
Awww cryst!!! Americans are a funny lot!! Entertaining has hell, though!

Untied States of America.... finger pointing capital of the world!

Spring, TX

#16 Apr 2, 2013
Ascendo Tuum wrote:
Here's one for you, eh?..!./

Spring, TX

#17 Apr 2, 2013
Ascendo Tuum wrote:
over 1.5 million children living in extreme poverty, physically disabled people, people with cancer who cant work, families, children are living on the streets,

Social assistance rates were axed in 1998 and have not increased since then. The average disability pension is $700 a month

The health care system is tanked, huge cutbacks to funding for BC medical because of a little thing called the 2010 olympics,

Corrupt Governments, lying politicians and govt offiicials, no job creation other than in minimum wage sectors that provide no benefits,Canada bas become the missippi of the north.

Most people cannot even afford to pay rent never mind own their owh home, rising food prices, gasoline prices,, natural gas prices to heat homes is out of control, inflation is killing the working class,

Take care of your own problems first, dkhead...before you worry about ours, eh?
Ascendo Tuum

Hamilton, Canada

#18 Apr 2, 2013
Bluebonnets-Thistle wrote:
<quoted text>
over 1.5 million children living in extreme poverty, physically disabled people, people with cancer who cant work, families, children are living on the streets,
Social assistance rates were axed in 1998 and have not increased since then. The average disability pension is $700 a month
The health care system is tanked, huge cutbacks to funding for BC medical because of a little thing called the 2010 olympics,
Corrupt Governments, lying politicians and govt offiicials, no job creation other than in minimum wage sectors that provide no benefits,Canada bas become the missippi of the north.
Most people cannot even afford to pay rent never mind own their owh home, rising food prices, gasoline prices,, natural gas prices to heat homes is out of control, inflation is killing the working class,
Take care of your own problems first, dkhead...before you worry about ours, eh?
Sorry.... I don't live in the Untied States of America.... we don't have any problems even remotely close to like that. 1.5 million children living in poverty!! ROTFALMFAO!!! That be in Arkansas alone, right?

Canadian Health care system is just fine, thank you very much..... just ask the countless americans crossing the boarder and posing as Canadians to partake. Hell, ask Caribou Barbie... she knows all about Canadian Health care. We don't mind though, we're a charitable lot up here. One medical procedure we DON'T have up here, however, is the walletectomy. We don't seem to miss it, though. No Canadian has ever had to lose their home and/or savings due to critical illness. How about YOU guys???

Ask your American seniors in our pharmacies, how bad the prices for drugs are up here. I'm sure they'll tell you!

Poverty Rate/Canada: 8.2%
Poverty Rate/USA: 12.2%

Unemployment Rate/Canada: 6.2%
Unemployment Rate/USA: 11.5%

Canadian Housing Market: Terrible.... Housing sales skyrocketing in major centres causing house prices to rise significantly
American Housing Market: Wonderful.... Slow sales due to glut of repos on the market causing house prices to drop significantly.
(ROTFLAMFAO - don'tcha just love sarcasm!!!)

Canadian Inflation rate: whopping 1.2%(2012)
American Inflation rate: a meager 3.0%(2012)

Hmmm... seems we DO have things relatively under control up here... And anyways....who said I'm worried about YOUR problems??? All I said, was.... you Amerdicans are a funny lot.... extremely entertaining, and the finger pointing capital of the world!!! Not ONE comment about your economy, poverty, yadda yadda yadda...in that post. I suspect you might be a tad defensive, n'est pas??
mztza

Mesa, AZ

#19 Apr 17, 2013
it's everybodies fault,
the government giving money it shouldn't
because of personal interests
corporations taking their factories and plants to other 3rd world countries
private citizens who abuse the systems
it's just not one thing, it's a combination of all
everybody will always do their best to rip off any system
any government, any corporation
and the one who rip us the most is our own oil companies

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Economics News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Updated: Former Halstead police chief had prior... Sun Burdbrain 1
News Newnan lawyer suspended for 6 months (Nov '14) Aug 26 PULTE POLLUTES 14
News Former Glendora car dealer faces 79 years for b... Aug 26 Go Blue Forever 1
News Hulk Hogan, Gawker Discussing Settlement of $14... Aug 24 Benny 1
News Hulk Hogan, Gawker Discuss Settlement of $140 M... Aug 24 Benny 1
News IMF to help Ukraine with up to $18 billion bailout (Mar '14) Aug 21 Jealous young virgin 75
News Logan's files for Chapter 11, to close 18 locat... Aug 10 Good news 3
More from around the web